The Twelve Labors of Nail Yakupov

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My complaint is not really with Reinhart. It's overpaying for him when he have a similar player in Musil who was decent in his call up. It's more of a criticism towards Chia than Reinhart. What is questionable is what Chia did in the offseason when he decided to go ahead and change last season positives instead of the area of weaknesses. The wagon line was good, why split them? Roy was good with Yak, why not re-sign him in case of injuries? Musil was decent, why trade for Reinhart and keep the assets for a big time trade like Hamonic? It's like Chia didn't want to recognize MacT's positives. I know it's funny as it sounds. Work around the weakness not changes the positives. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Yeah but the same could apply to Yakupov. The Oilers burned a 1st overall pick (an extremely valuable asset) on an underperforming player.

Yak shouldn't be immune to criticism. I'm just saying it's hypocritical to get on people for criticizing an underperforming 3+ year player when in the same token, you and some others criticize a player who has been here for 19 games.

Again, Yak has as many goals as Davidson, less than Klefbom. He played 12 of those games with McDavid. Some criticism is expected and completely warranted.
He's not a kid anymore. It's time to put up or shut up, he's not putting up much.

I just want to clarify that I really like Yak and I love when he's playing well but he needs to start producing. All the effort in the world is great but gotta start putting the puck in the net.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
It is very hard if you're playing with two plugs. I'd say only 25 or so players in the whole league can still produce without any help on their line. We go from McDavid to Letestu with nothing in between.

I really dislike this perception. He's been given countless shots with decent linemates and the only real success he's had is with McDavid. He improved with Roy but nothing really to write home about.

I actually feel sorry for him. He tries hard but the end result just isn't there.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Yeah.Agreed. It's annoying actually. He's under the microscope constantly. I don't like a lot of how he plays but there's many others on this team that are far worse. I know he's a number one pick but maybe we're expecting something he can't deliver. Many of us are liking a nagging wife. On his back constantly.

So much of this. Some of the criticism is accurate and/or warranted, but Yak's the current whipping boy and any time we start losing and he isn't playing well, half the discussion turns back to him. It's just a lot of frustrating talking in circles.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm saying that's his main job and what we drafted him to do. He's a goal scorer, isn't he?

Hall was drafted to be a goal-scorer. Still hasn't broken 30 yet. I don't know if you can call sub-30 a goal scorer these days.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Nobody's rooting for him to fail. When he's good he makes the team better, something we all want. But his job is to score goals and he simply isn't doing that and the linemate excuse is getting old. Our bottom 6 needs help and he could provide it but the kid just can't finish, something he was explicitly touted to do when he was drafted. Where is that scoring ability we were told so much about?

I do believe you when you say this, but it really gives the opposite impression when you, and a few other posters, continually return to repeat the same point of 'Yak sucks he can't pot a goal' in a very negative/condescending tone.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I do believe you when you say this, but it really gives the opposite impression when you, and a few other posters, continually return to repeat the same point of 'Yak sucks he can't pot a goal' in a very negative/condescending tone.

I expect a lot out of him. He's a #1 pick and isn't performing like one. A lot of us were worried that Yakupov wouldn't produce when McDavid got hurt. While his linemates are definitely not up to McDavid's standards, he still isn't accomplishing much. It's not fair to consistently blame Yakupov's linemates and absolve Yakupov of all criticism. The team could use his speed and shot, but he doesn't seem to use either all that much. He lacks finish and while he's certainly not the only one, he still should be counted on to contribute offensively, shouldn't he?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Then shoot the puck. Isn't he supposed to have a great shot? What's stopping him from driving the play and blazing down the wing? Having subpar linemates shouldn't stop him from trying to pick corners or just getting shots on net on his own.

Also Hendricks is a very hard working guy that scores a lot of greasy goals, something Yak should emulate.

I love Hendricks as much as anyone, but I wouldnt say that a player that has never put up double digit goal totals has ever scored 'a lot' of anything.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
OK. I'm guessing McCanovin has blocked me. Either that or he is giving me the silent treatment. Oh well. I'll take it for what it's worth.

:laugh:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yak is not the best player in his draft. 2012 was a weak draft for forwards. 99 in 211 games. Where does that put him with the rest of the draft?

Honest question. Do you think that a career high of 17 goals (granted, in a shortened season) and 33 points is good enough?
Do you think that 2 goals in 19 games is good enough?

Being one of the best of an extremely weak class isn't saying much. It's like saying that Petry was the Oilers best Dman.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I expect a lot out of him. He's a #1 pick and isn't performing like one. A lot of us were worried that Yakupov wouldn't produce when McDavid got hurt. While his linemates are definitely not up to McDavid's standards, he still isn't accomplishing much. It's not fair to consistently blame Yakupov's linemates and absolve Yakupov of all criticism. The team could use his speed and shot, but he doesn't seem to use either all that much. He lacks finish and while he's certainly not the only one, he still should be counted on to contribute offensively, shouldn't he?

I didn't disagree with anything because I'm tired of the circular arguments we go through, but okay, for the sake of discussion and clarity, let's clarify a few things:

1) Yak absolutely should be scoring goals with his shot. I find it very upsetting that he seems to have lost his accuracy and have said so a few times. I really don't know what happened there. He's always had that shot. Though he has hit quite a few posts this year, so maybe some of it is luck. I can hope, anyways.

2) Yak started off without McDavid playing fine and I thought looked good with RNH. He set up RNH a few times and RNH was the one who couldn't finish. His play has steadily declined as the team has crumbled. I attribute this to his shaky confidence - losing hurts him bad it appears, and I'm sure the lack of scoring is worrying him more. He's unfortunately pretty mentally fragile still it seems. This is IMO why he's so streaky. When he's feeling good, he's killing it. When he's freaking out he reverts to stick waving and skating back and forth too much.

3) I get why he's playing behind Purcell right now - McLellan is hoping he can carry that line and feed on easy minutes, but given that it seems to be a confidence thing to me, I'd rather give him minutes with good talent to see if he can swing back around again.

I count myself as one of Yakupov's biggest fans here, and I find it very disappointing to see how he's played. I can see why others are more or less done with him as a first overall (though BlueBullet had an interesting article that pointed to Yakupov being more of a 5th overall compared to other draft years, which is how I look at him now. It was a pretty terrible draft year. I still take him over Murray though, watched him live last night and he was pretty bad.)

But I still don't see the need to keep dumping on him like you and guymez especially seem to do (GMofOilers, to his credit, has lightened up). You can make your point, but the two of you have been filling threads up with nothing but back and forth confirming how much you agree that he sucks. One or two posts makes sense. Going back over and over again sure looks like you've got an axe to grind for no reason.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
:laugh:

No, I'm actually at work. I'll get back to you on that one.

Sorry dude. My bad. Yeah, get back to that post when you have the time, and maybe give yourself the time to allow yourself a well thought out response.

On a side note, I don't know what you do for work, but I'm inclined to believe that responding to this particular thread probably isn't a very good way to be productive at work. It might make you angry or something. Have your co-workers seen any obvious signs, like swearing profusely at the monitor, throwing your keyboard, or pounding your fists on the desk?

:D

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
James Neal's article in the Players' Tribune kind of sums up Nail's problems for me. Even with a ton of skill and all-world talent, he's losing the psychological battle between him and the goalie in this league. Maybe he needs to tweak his shot a bit. Because even when he's taking shots from dangerous areas, he's still not scoring goals.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
On a side note, I don't know what you do for work, but I'm inclined to believe that responding to this particular thread probably isn't a very good way to be productive at work. It might make you angrgy or something. Have your co-workers seen any obvious signs, like swearing profusely at the monitor, throwing your keyboard, or pounding your fists on the desk?

:D

This wasn't directed at me, but it sure sounds like it was. I am definitely guilty of seeing something I disagree with strongly and then getting sidetracked from work... :laugh:

EDIT:
James Neal's article in the Players' Tribune kind of sums up Nail's problems for me. Even with a ton of skill and all-world talent, he's losing the psychological battle between him and the goalie in this league. Maybe he needs to tweak his shot a bit. Because even when he's taking shots from dangerous areas, he's still not scoring goals.

I mentioned this earlier too, and agree with you 100%. Hence I mention confidence above. Here's the article again if anyone cares and missed it:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/james-neal-predators-sniper/

I love the playerstribune in general, but that Neal article is phenomenal. Such great insight into the goal-scorer's world.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yak is not the best player in his draft. 2012 was a weak draft for forwards. 99 in 211 games. Where does that put him with the rest of the draft?

It puts him 1st in goals (44) and 2nd in points behind Galchenyuk who has 115 in a couple more games played.

Interstingly enough Galchenyuk is also sitting at 2G 9A 11pts this season.

Wondering if the pitchforks are out there as well.

Agree that it was a sad draft for the forwards.
Even the Dmen arent doing that great this year. Trouba \ Lindholm \ Maata etc

birchy

Jun 30, 2014
I keep hoping for Yakupov to break out.. but lately I'm starting to think "Sergei Samsonov" more and more.. anyone else?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm at a point where I'd be fine with trading Yakupov.
I'm hating his game currently. He can't even keep possession in the O zone never mind do something with the puck. Every time the puck is on his stick, all he thinks is pass, never shoot.
I miss the rookie Yakupov, where he would skate with the puck, and shoot the puck.
Rookie Yakupov is to far gone.
Today's Yakupov is ridiculously inconsistent and streaky and a bit of a liability.
He's holding us back.

Yakupov tries to play a complex game but he's not smart enough so he fumbles or misreads plays

I really dislike this perception. He's been given countless shots with decent linemates and the only real success he's had is with McDavid. He improved with Roy but nothing really to write home about.

I actually feel sorry for him. He tries hard but the end result just isn't there.

This although not sure I feel sorry. He's getting paid millions to play a game.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
He just has an awful time finding the play.

In fact.. I don't think he ever finds it. It just sometimes finds him. Then he looks good for a play. haha

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Then why are worse players producing just as much? He shouldn't be tied in goals with Jordan Tootoo or have one more than Brandon Bollig. For pete's sake he has as many goals as the guy drafted below him and Columbus has been awful this year. How does a guy like Dale Weise have 9 goals this year?

The kid deserves credit for working hard but you win games by scoring goals. This team could really use a boost from him.

4th liners often get to play with top-pairing dmen.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think people really need to look at the 2012 draft and temper their expectations.

A 1st overall pick means you get the best player of that draft year(theoretically). It doesn't mean you automatically get a Hall, Tavares, Kane, Stamkos, etc.

Yak can't create offense on his own. That much is obvious at this point. But who from that draft can?

At this point, if he becomes a 50-60 point complementary forward, it's a success. He would very likely be the best forward in the draft if he puts up 50-60 points per season during his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad