The True Football (Not American)/Futol/Soccer Thread: Part II [World Cup Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They don't have the skill to do it anymore. Amazing to say this about Brazil, but they are a technically limited side.

That had a lot to do with coaching, scolari not trusting kids like Lucas, Firmino and Coutinho, and insisting on dinosauring it up with fred was a huge part of brazil not bringing the technical skill that combined with a great job of adopting the cynicism that crushed so many drems in 82 has lead them to be SA's flagship team.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I wanted Brazil to get beaten badly but even I felt sorry for them after the 4th goal. The Germans were absolutely ruthless, Brazil on the other hand looked like they didn't prepare for the possibility that Germany might score first. They completely fell apart after that.

Yeah, it was hard to watch at the end.

I knew there was a reason i didn't like you. That film was seminal.
:p:

It's way before my time but I watched it recently and I don't see anything special with it. Felt the same with Silence of the lambs and Godfather.

Anyway on to the game, the nervous have kicked in. THIS CANNOT BE AN ALL EUROPEAN FINAL IN SA. IT CAN'T

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Every American sportswriter make that Pearl Harbor joke when there's a blowout, it's not even funny anymore.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
A bit of a letdown after last nights game, but I guess Argentina being defensive is expected and Holland are afraid to open up against careful teams.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Germany knocked Argentina in the past 2 world cups, we'll see if they do it for 3rd straight time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm nervous about how organized and chippy the argies are. We've had teams that will constantly foul and force the ref to make calls give us some problems in the past. Plus it wouldn't be the first time a germany-argentina final has some questionable refereeing.

At least it'll be nice having the crowd on our side.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Can't wait for Sunday.

Cheers bud enjoy the win.

Masch was easily the MOTM. The guy is the heart of Argentina.

Germany knocked Argentina in the past 2 world cups, we'll see if they do it for 3rd straight time.

It seems we were always destined to meet in the WC. I wanted to avoid them as long as possible but there's no way around.:(

I'm nervous about how organized and chippy the argies are. We've had teams that will constantly foul and force the ref to make calls give us some problems in the past. Plus it wouldn't be the first time a germany-argentina final has some questionable refereeing.

At least it'll be nice having the crowd on our side.

PUH LEAZE

The Albiceleste haven't been constantly fouling players and forcing the ref to make calls more than the average team here.

Not sure why you think the crowd will be on your side for the final

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma

Brazilians are intelligent and know who to support :nod::nod:

My prediction is a close game with Germany edging with late goals to win 2-0.
But to be fair, I've predicted around 80% wrong after the group stages, so what do I know. And Argentina has really surprised me with their defensive approach. That is a big reason they have succeeded this time around.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Such a boring game. Both teams suck. No way Netherlands were going to win on penalties twice in a row.

Thank God I didn't take any bets at work haha.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Cheers bud enjoy the win.

Masch was easily the MOTM. The guy is the heart of Argentina.

It seems we were always destined to meet in the WC. I wanted to avoid them as long as possible but there's no way around.:(

PUH LEAZE

The Albiceleste haven't been constantly fouling players and forcing the ref to make calls more than the average team here.

Because we're playing argentina in brazil? And come on now, other teams like brazil have used a similar strategy of consistent fouling but that doesn't mean y'all haven't used it to.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
**** this ****ing sport man. I'm still feeling crushed. Barely slept.

Proud of what this team achieved with Noone thinking they would get out of the group phase. Vlaar and Mascherano were brilliant.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Vlaar was amazing, but it was unfair to both him and the team to put him in the shootout.

Van Gaal basically had no other choice as apparently no one wanted to shoot first so he sent Vlaar because he had a great game and looked confident.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Such a boring game. Both teams suck. No way Netherlands were going to win on penalties twice in a row.

Thank God I didn't take any bets at work haha.

Nah only your team sucked.

Because we're playing argentina in brazil? And come on now, other teams like brazil have used a similar strategy of consistent fouling but that doesn't mean y'all haven't used it to.

I figure most Brazilians are going to hid in there homes until the WC is over. I'm sure we'll have a pro Argentina crowd or at least 50/50.

We don't do it at all.

Of the teams to make it to the knock out stages Argies are ranked 6th lowest in fouls committed with 64. France,Nigeria,Greece,Chile and Mexico are the only ones that have committed less than us having played 1 or 2 less games than the Argies of those 5 teams 3 of them have a difference of 3 or less.

So,

Mexico 53 FC, Nigeria 57 FC, Chile/Greece both at 61 FC and France with 62 FC.

Your Germany are ranked 7th highest with 71 FC. So, Germany has 7 more fouls than Argentina. I'll be generous and say human error of 15 fouls missed by the ref for Argentina giving them 8 more fouls than Germany. Not enough a difference for you to bring it up.

Not only are you wrong, it's completely unfair and disrespectful for you to even mention it.

They don't have a Pepe, Van Bommel or De jong on the team who'll just kick players up and down the field.

In case your going to say refs are biased to SA the host country has committed the most fouls. Of the top 5 in FC 2 are from SA and 2 are from Europe. No one is surprised Brasil and Netherlands lead the way by 10+.

As for forcing the ref to make calls... you don't want to go there. You're team has some of the biggest whiners in the game.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've never defended Mueller or Schweini's whining so go there if you want, but what I meant by that was how often the argies have gone into tough tackles that didn't get called, forcing the ref to either make a lot of calls or to let a go, and a lot of those argentinian games let a lot go, so I'd say 15 fouls is a conservative estimate for how many the ref has missed and that just in the game with the swiss there were that many fouls missed from both sides. Granted Brazil similarly should've racked up a good 10 more fouls in the colombia game and in the chile game to, so relative to them you certainly haven't been as bad, but Argentina have absolutely relied on using borderline tackles to establish their physicality and help that really well organized defense.

I don't see what's disrespectful about pointing this out, similar strategies are why we won the euros in 1980 and the 1990 final saw both sides using this strategy, while the argies used this strategy with maradona, so it's proven to be effective. *shrug*

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I've never defended Mueller or Schweini's whining so go there if you want, but what I meant by that was how often the argies have gone into tough tackles that didn't get called, forcing the ref to either make a lot of calls or to let a go, and a lot of those argentinian games let a lot go, so I'd say 15 fouls is a conservative estimate for how many the ref has missed and that just in the game with the swiss there were that many fouls missed from both sides. Granted Brazil similarly should've racked up a good 10 more fouls in the colombia game and in the chile game to, so relative to them you certainly haven't been as bad, but Argentina have absolutely relied on using borderline tackles to establish their physicality and help that really well organized defense.

I don't see what's disrespectful about pointing this out, similar strategies are why we won the euros in 1980 and the 1990 final saw both sides using this strategy, while the argies used this strategy with maradona, so it's proven to be effective. *shrug*

So, the refs missed a conservative 15 fouls against Argentina but ZERO from the German side. Come on CGF:laugh: Not to mention all the hard fouls missed eh... please show me some, the only one I remember is when that dutch player lost his shoe. I actually think he drew a foul but should've been a yellow. With this thread this conversation ends here, as you're clearly biased and pre existing ideas about Argentina that you won't admit are wrong even though the evidence is staring you right in the face.

It is disrespectful because it cheapens what Argentina have done. People seem to have an idea that you can't play hard defence without kicking players and breaking rules. This is completely wrong.

Also really no one has the right to bring it up against Argentina considering the best player in the world (not close) get kicked like no tomorrow and unlike some other stars he doesn't usually dive.

You'll have the last word as I'm done. Good luck Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad