The Trouba Hit

The Trouba hit

• Clean Hit

• Dirty/Suspension Worthy

Results are only viewable after voting.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I’ve already asked, but what do you want to happen here? A guy with a concussion issue is skating directly at you with his head down, what do you want to see happen? Just let him skate by?
If he's that unaware, you should be able to easily poke check to steal the puck and turn the play the other direction without bouncing his head off the ice.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If he's that unaware, you should be able to easily poke check to steal the puck and turn the play the other direction without bouncing his head off the ice.
So you want hitting gone, gotcha.

You evidently haven’t played before, it’s very easy to miss those poke checks, especially if the guy is looking down at the puck. So what happens when you miss and the guy is now gone on a breakaway? THAT is the NHL you want to see?

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I fail to see how that makes it ok.

Its like blaming a WR in football for going over the middle on a crossing route when they used to get blasted by the DBs. Thankfully, the NFL pulled its head out of its ass (because former players sued the shit out of them) and changed the rules to outlaw hits on defenseless receivers. The NHL, unfortunately, is still operating in the stone age in this regard.
So...in your fantasy world you would just have skaters skating all over the ice with their heads down so that they can't get hit.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So...in your fantasy world you would just have skaters skating all over the ice with their heads down so that they can't get hit.
Ahh yes, because projecting a hypothetical future of an extreme absurdity is reason enough to not take action now.

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
I fail to see how that makes it ok.

Its like blaming a WR in football for going over the middle on a crossing route when they used to get blasted by the DBs. Thankfully, the NFL pulled its head out of its ass (because former players sued the shit out of them) and changed the rules to outlaw hits on defenseless receivers. The NHL, unfortunately, is still operating in the stone age in this regard.
Honest question here. You said you want the nhl to make a rule protecting “defenceless players” from being hit, like in the nfl, correct? Wouldn’t that legitimately allow players to skate with their heads down and instantly become ineligible to be hit, since they have become completely unaware of their surrounding and are totally defenceless?

If this is the case, body checking needs to be removed. Which would be a terrible idea

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Ahh there it is.

Because you yourself couldn't do it while playing, clearly an NHLer can't adjust, so might as well keep in the concussions because yay sports
Would you like me to bring up the 100000 plays a season where a players gets absolutely embarrassed while trying to go for a poke check and misses?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Honest question here. You said you want the nhl to make a rule protecting “defenceless players” from being hit, like in the nfl, correct? Wouldn’t that legitimately allow players to skate with their heads down and instantly become ineligible to be hit, since they have become completely unaware of their surrounding and are totally defenceless?
Oh yes, as we all know, because of the defenseless player rule in the NFL, the only passing routes run nowadays are crossers over the middle which doesn't allow the defense to lay the big hit.

Oh wait, that's not what happened, and defenses were able to adjust to still be effective. Interesting

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Because players never go for big hits and miss, either

Please count how many of these goals wre from players waving their sticks vs missing big hits.

I’ll give you a head start: WAY more poke checks.

Trouba was never going to miss that hit. He could have easily missed the poke check or stripped his feet trying to get the puck in hit feet.

You have no argument here

Reactions: rangersfansince08

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Ahh yes, because projecting a hypothetical future of an extreme absurdity is reason enough to not take action now.
Now you are really showing your ignorance. Years ago the CHL put stop signs on the backs of all the jerseys. This was in order to stop or at least reduce the number of hits from behind. So in the years that followed what did the NHL get? They got a bunch of players that would turn their backs to the oncoming player, hoping to draw a penalty, but putting themselves in a very dangerous position. You see NHL players are smart professional athletes. They will do whatever little things they can to get an advantage.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
Oh yes, as we all know, because of the defenseless player rule in the NFL, the only passing routes run nowadays are crossers over the middle which doesn't allow the defense to lay the big hit.

Oh wait, that's not what happened, and defenses were able to adjust to still be effective. Interesting
You seem to be really mad at my question. I wasn’t being a dick, I legitimately want to know how you’d classify a defenceless player in hockey. And once a player becomes defenceless, how are they eligible to be checked? I could not care less about American football, so leave any football analogies out please

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
Also any good coach is teaching their defense to always take the body. Even in leagues without hitting, we were always taught to take/watch the body.
My 7 year old plays aaa and there is no hitting allowed. He’s always taught, as a defenceman, keep your chest in front of the offensive players chest and never watch the puck.

stupid Trouba. He should have side stepped the guy with the puck, tried to poke check, and pray he doesn’t get his stick in to khaira’s feet, or miss completely resulting in a penalty or an odd man rush.

Reactions: RSPens

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
You seem to be really mad at my question. I wasn’t being a dick, I legitimately want to know how you’d classify a defenceless player in hockey. And once a player becomes defenceless, how are they eligible to be checked? I could not care less about American football, so leave any football analogies out please
Crazy idea but how about they could be checked literally anywhere other than the head?

I know you think the head is about 30 inches tall and the body goes straight from the head to the knees but that's actually not true.

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
Crazy idea but how about they could be checked literally anywhere other than the head?

I know you think the head is about 30 inches tall and the body goes straight from the head to the knees but that's actually not true.
Or he could, you know, simply play within the rules of the game of hockey…and do exactly what he did.

The anti-hitting crowd is in shambles this afternoon

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Or he could, you know, simply play within the rules of the game of hockey…and do exactly what he did.

The anti-hitting crowd is in shambles this afternoon
So you support keeping head injuries and concussions in the game?

Before you come with the brutal comeback of "oh well you just don't like hits then and think we should remove them", no there's actually a way to hit without knocking people unconscious and giving them a head injury that will impact the rest of their life.

Reactions: Svechhammer

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No charging, feet planted, knees bent, bent over at the torso, elbow tucked, didn’t jump, didn’t even propel himself upward. Probably all those parts

That is not targeting the head, that’s going through the body with incidental head contact.

It’s right in the rules that principal point of contact is considered a head hit, not initial.

Some of you can’t seem to grasp that no matter how many times it’s shown

Its pretty clear he was going for the head. Just look at the aftermath.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad