The Trouba hit

• Clean Hit

• Dirty/Suspension Worthy

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

head definitely principle point of contact.

career ender

According to the rule book though, it doesn’t matter if he hit the chin first.

Rule 48.1: Illegal Check to the Head: A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted.
In determining whether contact with an opponent’s head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:
(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not “picked” as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.
(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

i and ii are both satisfied by the way the rule is written. Trouba clearly attempted to hit him square in the body, he was not overtly head hunting even if he caught the chin first. Khaira had his head down and put himself in a vulnerable posture. It’s sucks and it’s an awful outcome, but this isn’t a penalty let alone suspension worthy based on the way the NHL rules are written.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Is there anyone able to post a slow motion of the hit in its entirety including the skates of Trouba to see if he left the ice

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Where's the option for dirty but legal hit?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`d like to see another angle. This looks borderline. I do think it should have got 5+game on the ice nevertheless.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not illegal, but still a pretty dogshit and unnecessary hit to make. Probably ended his career considering his history

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not illegal, but still a pretty dogshit and unnecessary hit to make. Probably ended his career considering his history
Shame on the Trouba for not knowing every player's medical history on the opposing team and making sure not to step up and hit a player who is "high risk" :rolleyes:

And im sure you start booing your own players when they land a huge hit too right?

edit - ah, ok I see your a Jets fan. Makes more sense now on the bitterness.

Reactions: NYRangers3061

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Hits like this tend to happen when you lose sight of the puck in your feet. Terrible outcome but clean hit. Puck was there, looks to me principle contact is the body.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Shame on the Trouba for not knowing every player's medical history on the opposing team and making sure not to step up and hit a player who is "high risk" :rolleyes:

And im sure you start booing your own players when they land a huge hit too right?

edit - ah, ok I see your a Jets fan. Makes more sense now on the bitterness.
Sorry I'm not a fan of blowing a guy up with his head down just because it's not in the official rules I guess?

It's a game and at the end of the day they are somewhat colleages.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The Erne hit from the other day is how these scenarios should play out. He got him right in the chest still completely demolished the hit player, but he didn't shrug up into the head.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
According to the rule book though, it doesn’t matter if he hit the chin first.

Rule 48.1: Illegal Check to the Head: A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted.
In determining whether contact with an opponent’s head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:
(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not “picked” as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.
(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

i and ii are both satisfied by the way the rule is written. Trouba clearly attempted to hit him square in the body, he was not overtly head hunting even if he caught the chin first. Khaira had his head down and put himself in a vulnerable posture. It’s sucks and it’s an awful outcome, but this isn’t a penalty let alone suspension worthy based on the way the NHL rules are written.
How do you take away that he attempted to hit him in the body? When he lined up the hit Khaira's head was down, if Khaira doesn't pick his head up at the last second the hit is even worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad