NHL Entry Draft: The Tribal Phoenix 2009 NHL Mock Draft - version 2.0

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
I understand the disillusionment as far as how mocks have become - basically glorified hockey card trading sessions, completely unrealistic, and made up of 3 distinct groups of people - those who want to build super teams, those who want to sell everything regardless of success so they can get 7 first rounders, and the small group who actually try to make realistic decisions on direction and value.

However, I've modelled this mock to be as realistic as possible. Trading happens on the draft floor, this is a fact. Trading happens leading up to the draft, that's a fact. However, what needs to be regulated is keeping people focussed on the draft, and for that reason I've rejected more trades than I've allowed, because they weren't in the interests of drafting.

Yeah, the Getzlaf trade was pretty lopsided in peoples minds, but it legitimately moved them up and down in the draft, with prospects involved. However, I will not run a mock draft like a despot and tell people what the value of their assets is - you're the GM, you run the show, I just try to keep people walking the same direction. I would no sooner tell people who to draft.

If you're going to walk into a thread that clearly doesn't involve you and slagging it, I suggest reading through what has actually happened a bit more thoroughly. Nobody likes the answer to a question that wasn't asked.

Good response. And as this is my 1st mock of this format I'll be the first to admit I would never make another deal like I did with the Getzlaf deal. I focused too much on the format, and not enough "real-life" perspective. I've learned, won't happen again. Thanks for not booting me. :laugh:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I meant when the make their selection on the draft thread, please post the pick number. If you post it here I'll never remember. Though I did not realize that Colorado only has four picks. Man that rebuild is going to be slow.

6 in total, 4 in the top 64;) Tribal just mentioned that we have to post the pick number as well, people should be able to remember this...

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
NYR is on the clock until 730pm. I'm not sure why they're not making their pick, they've been online 3 times today and have been notified twice.

Their selection will be Landon Ferraro.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Kings looking to move up in the draft.

JJ-looking for a 2cd, 3rd, + Decent Prospect(Winger/Defense)

Will listen to offers for Bernier (1st & 3rd rounder)

Picks Remaining(Looking to package 2 or 3 of them for a higher pick)
48 via St. Louis

Haligonian

---------
Dec 23, 2008
Halifax
Trade to Announce (Pending Approval)

To MTL: 1st Rounder (BOS-25)

To BOS: Ryan McDonagh, Mathieu Carle and a 5th Rounder (MTL-138)

----------------------------

Bruins GM: We feel that with this trade we just replenished our propect pool on the blueline immensely by acquiring Ryan McDonagh and Mathieu Carle. Both McDonagh and Carle have the potential to be great defensemen in this league for years to come. The 5th Round pick will also be useful as this is a very deep draft and we plan to uncover a real gem in the 5th Round. We also had no 5th Round pick so this will replace it.

HabsAtak

Feb 16, 2008
Montreal has also accepted the deal with the bruins. So much for old time rivalries :)

HabsAtak

Feb 16, 2008
Cool, does the clock start over, if not how much time do I have to make a pick?

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
^^ Yeah i was going to echo that sentiment... At #25, there are not that many options, unless you go off the board.

I too have mentioned it.

There have been numerous cases of people taking their full time allottment, and despite being online several times in that period, not making a pick.

Usually one would thing that someone acquired the pick because they had a player in mind... I've been trying to move up solely because there is a player I'm targetting.

HabsAtak

Feb 16, 2008
There are other reasons to make a trade to move up then just looking to take a specific player. Sometimes you need to gain an asset that another team wants in order to make a trade for a player that you do want. I do have a player I want to take now but I know he will be there later on so I see another player that I want posted by another team and I want to try and make a trade to get that player and pick the one I want. Isn't this the whole thing about being a GM and the allotted time? If I don't hear from him I will make my pick plan and simple.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
There are other reasons to make a trade to move up then just looking to take a specific player. Sometimes you need to gain an asset that another team wants in order to make a trade for a player that you do want. I do have a player I want to take now but I know he will be there later on so I see another player that I want posted by another team and I want to try and make a trade to get that player and pick the one I want. Isn't this the whole thing about being a GM and the allotted time? If I don't hear from him I will make my pick plan and simple.

Fair enough, it's still your time to use. I just want to keep everyone moving forward after a couple of no-shows already in the first round...

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
NYR is on the clock until 730pm. I'm not sure why they're not making their pick, they've been online 3 times today and have been notified twice.

I would like this draft to move along a lot quicker than it is and I'd be all for an even shorter selection time but while we're trying to push things along, we need to remember that not everybody is taking their sweet time or holding up the draft in order to see if they can squeeze out a trade.

I made my first selection soon after realizing I was on the clock. My team was on the clock for 69 minutes but I was at work and (every once in awhile) I do have to do some work, while there. For my second pick, I was able to get online a few times but I was only able to peek at things on my phone as I had my 7 year old and 4 year old to take care of, with baseball camp and painting, in between.

Crank it up boys and let's see if we can get the 2nd round completed by tomorrow night!

Haligonian

---------
Dec 23, 2008
Halifax
I would like this draft to move along a lot quicker than it is and I'd be all for an even shorter selection time but while we're trying to push things along, we need to remember that not everybody is taking their sweet time or holding up the draft in order to see if they can squeeze out a trade.

I made my first selection soon after realizing I was on the clock. My team was on the clock for 69 minutes but I was at work and (every once in awhile) I do have to do some work, while there. For my second pick, I was able to get online a few times but I was only able to peek at things on my phone as I had my 7 year old and 4 year old to take care of, with baseball camp and painting, in between.

Crank it up boys and let's see if we can get the 2nd round completed by tomorrow night!

I agree, it is painful just to wait around. I think people have to start sending in some lists. :nod:

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I agree, it is painful just to wait around. I think people have to start sending in some lists. :nod:

I've received a couple of small lists for people who need a proxy choice made.

Depending on how the 2nd round goes, I may ask for a list of 30 players from each person, and reduce the time to 4 hours, but it's premature to say if that will happen.

If we can pick up the pace through the next round, I won't have to worry about it.

HabsAtak

Feb 16, 2008
Made my pick for 25 but I cannot contact PrussianBlue. It comes up as person not found. Spelling error maybe?

I see him/her on it is Prussian_Blue - I saw someone sent a message already.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
The lopsided Getzlaf trade gets upheld but this gets veto'ed?

Come on Tribal that's not right.

How is it not right?

It's not to move up. It's selling a pick for a player. I rejected the initial Getzlaf trade because it didn't have an exchange of picks. I will not approve this one, because it isn't moving up and down, it's simply buying a player, which isn't what this draft is about.

This has been a common theme in every trade, and isn't a surprise.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Fine, Columbus and Pittsburgh have agreed to a new deal.

To CBJ:
1st

To PIT:
Vermette
5th

Pending league approval.

That's fine. Approved.

I'm not doing this to be difficult, I'm doing it to keep this a draft, not a hockey card trading session. Hell, I'm GMing a team that has to rebuild with a whole wack of players I could deal just for picks, and I haven't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad