GDT: The Trade Deadline Thread

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How could Vegas not be aware of their own player’s NTC? Anyone with access to the internet can just go to capfriendly.

I wouldn't normally imagine Anaheim would be on an NTC given its SoCal but they aren't super competitive so I guess that's why.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In summary:
Jets had the first and last trades of TD day, Beaulieu and Nogier moved.
Jets had the biggest, blockbusterest trade of the day - 6 pieces. :laugh:

Return on Copp is maybe not quite what some of us hoped for, but it is fine, maybe better than fine. We drafted him with a 4th. Got 467 games out of him, mostly good games. Traded him for way more than the 4th he cost us.

Getting Appleton back was a good move, IMO, and didn't cost too much.

Getting Sanford was a :huh:

Friesen was a little harsh in the way he put it, but he was right. Chevy half-assed it. This was one of those hard decision times and he tried to have it a bit of both ways. If Jets manage to squeeze into the PO now, he's a genius. Otherwise he's a potato. He needs to be more decisive than that the rest of the way to TC.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I’m pleased with the moves Chevy made. On board with every trade except the 5th for Sanford We have so many bottom 6 players Is he really going to be an impact player ?

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
I’m pleased with the moves Chevy made. On board with every trade except the 5th for Sanford We have so many bottom 6 players Is he really going to be an impact player ?
Only thing I can think about with Sanford is he has pretty decent offence for a bottom six guy which we’ve been lacking.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well Chevy mentioned Perfetti by name as a center today. Wonder if the conversion for him is back on once he is healthy.
I hold his words just as high as hold Maurice's. He also said players won't sit on the taxi squad. Judge by the actions.

He's not playing ahead of scheifele or pld. Has barely played at C in AHL or NHL. And we didn't sign Lowry a few months ago for 5x3.25m to play 4c. Also I wonder if Perfetti even plays rest of year

Reactions: thegr8one66

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Only thing I can think about with Sanford is he has pretty decent offence for a bottom six guy which we’ve been lacking.
Brooks has decent scoring for bottom guy yet he played 4 minutes last game I willing to give this one a look see. Im afraid the coaches will sit him

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
We have many bad bottom six players. Probably could use some decent ones.
4th line has been poor this year. Looking for better players to fill that role. Reading the Sens fan’s assessment that Sanford has not been good this year leaves doubt in my mind he’s any better than what we have. Just hoping Chevy knows what he doing with this trade

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
4th line has been poor this year. Looking for better players to fill that role. Reading the Sens fan’s assessment that Sanford has not been good this year leaves doubt in my mind he’s any better than what we have. Just hoping Chevy knows what he doing with this trade

Well considering how terrible the Sens are, I don't doubt a guy like Sanford has been bad there. The guy was really good for St.Louis for a few years and we lots of him during that time. If he can get back to that guy here, big/agressive/decent production, then it is a win for us. My guess is they look at bringing him back if they can next year if it works for us and him.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Thought this was interesting, from a piece on the VGK NTC furore:

Trades can still be made after the deadline, as was chronicled by The Athletic in February. It’s a rarely used rule, and the players involved aren’t eligible to play in the postseason. In the Golden Knights’ case, they’d be shipping out contracts to clear cap space so it wouldn’t be an issue for them, but it would severely limit their potential trade partners (to non-playoff teams). It would also put them in a position of limited leverage when negotiating a potential deal. Considering that on Monday, they paid the price of a second-round pick and took on the remainder of Kesler’s contract just to clear $3.375 million in cap space, a post-deadline deal could be even worse for Vegas.

Might be some interesting opportunities there, depending on how the decision goes.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What if there was nothing significance coming back though? Trading the guy for the sake of trading doesn’t always make a ton of sense.
Maybe the Jets see him as someone to extend? I think he's been very effective, and at Stasny's point of his career maybe he didn't want to move to another team temporarily? We tend to forget these are people, not just commodities, and it seems as if the Jets are very in tune with this - which lends to the opinion around the league that the org is a class act that treats their players well. It doesn't overcome our location or tax situation, but I do think it helps with getting players to sign or agree to be traded to us.

I think this played the notion that the Jets do believe they can make the playoffs, especially if they can beat the teams in this weaker part of their schedule.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
This is the most critical of heard button on the Jets since his analysis on Vesalainen couple years ago.

Using CGY as the example he laid out
Markstrom has been>Helle this year.
They have two lines that rate superior than our best. And I think their top 4 defensive personnel thay they've acquired via draft or trade are better. Also their bottom 6 produces better than ours. Idk I think it's both personnel and coaching hampering us. Who's in charge of those areas?

Nice to hear it put so bluntly. I believe Button to be a fan of our team and sometimes the truth hurts but it's still necessary to hear.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
The off season will be a shakeup
To what degree are you hearing/believe we will see a shakeup? Any specific teams you think are in the hunt? Friedman seems to suggest there could be major moves.

If Scheifele is moved I could see NYR, PHI, CAR, NYI all being interested and having the pieces to make it work.

If/and Hellebuyck is moved I could see EDM, COL, NJD, LAK.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
To what degree are you hearing/believe we will see a shakeup? Any specific teams you think are in the hunt? Friedman seems to suggest there could be major moves.

If Scheifele is moved I could see NYR, PHI, CAR, NYI all being interested and having the pieces to make it work.

If/and Hellebuyck is moved I could see EDM, COL, NJD, LAK.

I suspect Chevy will have some interesting end of season meetings, people will be given the option to get on board or you will be traded (Mark/Blake) and coaching staff IMO are gone.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

so maybe we don't lose stastny for nothing after all

Chevy said it, Copper was offered a long term deal last year but wanted more money so the Jets (like all teams) make a cap decision and moved on. Stats has earned his big money, while he can move places its more about where he's happy not about where he can make the most money at his age.

Reactions: surixon

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Islander fans seem to be talking about Barzal for some reason. Wonder if Barzal for Scheifele might be an option.

I would be interested in that option and discuss it further if a possibility. Both are good offensive players, but I think both could use a fresh start and/or a coaching change.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would be interested in that option and discuss it further if a possibility. Both are good offensive players, but I think both could use a fresh start and/or a coaching change.

Agreed. If we must move Mark then getting a younger playwr to fit around the new core would be good.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad