The Top American Players 25 and under #1

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
That's certainly an opinion.

Definitely not the opinion of the Calder voters that's for sure! Pierce doesn't actually believe that anyway; his intentions with that post are as transparent as always on here.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
You heard it here folks, over 10% of people think that one of Keller, Boeser, Gaudreau, Weirenski, Jones, Trocheck or JT. Miller are better than Eichel and Matthews lol.

You can't make this stuff up.
This is why you don't cite HF polls as fact.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
#1 is tough as hell, obviously with Eichel and Matthews but then factor in the D,, I'm gonna go Eichel, I have a feeling if he plays 82 he's gonna have a hell of a year.

Certainly no ANIEC, and there shouldn't be many sour grapes, but there will be.

Edit: oh **** I thought johnny hockey was 25 and it was U25 - still Eichel. This top 10 should be fun.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You heard it here folks, over 10% of people think that one of Keller, Boeser, Gaudreau, Weirenski, Jones, Trocheck or JT. Miller are better than Eichel and Matthews lol.

You can't make this stuff up.
This is why you don't cite HF polls as fact.

There is absolutely an argument for Gaudreau at #1. A slow start to last year doesn't change much.

Consider the following

1) He is 1 year removed from a 78 point season on a bottom dweller
2) Was arguably the best NA forward at the WCH, easily better than Eichel and better than Matthews as well.
3) Finished the season with 26p in his final 22gp
4) Completely outclassed Eichel at the WC

Just about everything went wrong for Gaudreau last year and he still scored at a 70 point clip. Heck, he missed 10 games with a broken hand and played the following 20+ with an oven mitt for a glove and a pylon for a RW (Chiasson) and still led the Flames in scoring.

I predict he's going to serve up yet another round of making people look stupid for doubting him.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
There is absolutely an argument for Gaudreau at #1. A slow start to last year doesn't change much.

Consider the following

1) He is 1 year removed from a 78 point season on a bottom dweller
2) Was arguably the best NA forward at the WCH, easily better than Eichel and better than Matthews as well.
3) Finished the season with 26p in his final 22gp
4) Completely outclassed Eichel at the WC

Just about everything went wrong for Gaudreau last year and he still scored at a 70 point clip. Heck, he missed 10 games with a broken hand and played the following 20+ with an oven mitt for a glove and a pylon for a RW (Chiasson) and still led the Flames in scoring.

I predict he's going to serve up yet another round of making people look stupid for doubting him.

Gaudreau is amazing, and his "down season" really wasn't anything more than bad luck.

Thing is though, Matthews/Eichel were both better last season and I doubt they're going to look back at this point. Gaudreau is in the running for #1, but he's most likely 3, where he should be.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau is amazing, and his "down season" really wasn't anything more than bad luck.

Thing is though, Matthews/Eichel were both better last season and I doubt they're going to look back at this point. Gaudreau is in the running for #1, but he's most likely 3, where he should be.

I think Matthews probably had the better season, but again Gaudreau really had a everything go wrong for him. Eichel feasted on the PP and secondary assists, as Calgary struggled to figure out their PP under the new coaching regime. Gaudreau far outproduced him at ES (45 ESP vs 33 ESP) and relied less on secondary points (30 primary assists only 13 secondary vs 19 and 14 respectively for Eichel) - the latter of which reflects just how he had to do on his own).

I think I would take Gaudreau over Eichel last year.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think Matthews probably had the better season, but again Gaudreau really had a everything go wrong for him. Eichel feasted on the PP and secondary assists, as Calgary struggled to figure out their PP under the new coaching regime. Gaudreau far outproduced him at ES (45 ESP vs 33 ESP) and relied less on secondary points (30 primary assists only 13 secondary vs 19 and 14 respectively for Eichel) - the latter of which reflects just how he had to do on his own).

I think I would take Gaudreau over Eichel last year.

Thing is that points aren't everything, and that's pretty much the only thing JG is exceptional at (even in an 'off-season'

I could see why you'd think Gaudreau had the better season compared to Eichel, but I also think Eichel fully healthy next season *could* be the best of the three. He took a ridiculous amount of shots and still can be considered a playmaker. He easily has the best tools of the three.

They're all very close, but there's very little evidence to say 'Gaudreau should be #1'... imo.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Thing is that points aren't everything, and that's pretty much the only thing JG is exceptional at (even in an 'off-season'

I could see why you'd think Gaudreau had the better season compared to Eichel, but I also think Eichel fully healthy next season *could* be the best of the three. He took a ridiculous amount of shots and still can be considered a playmaker. He easily has the best tools of the three.

They're all very close, but there's very little evidence to say 'Gaudreau should be #1'... imo.

I would agree with you, except that Gaudreau does bring a lot to the table aside from just his offensive game (him being one dimensional is a common misconception due to his size and skill). He's a surprisingly good defensive player, excellent on the forecheck and back check, very aware in his own end, and a great play driver. He's also an extremely competitive guy who's shown he can make plays on both sides of the ice when it matters. He and Marner are very similar in terms of their commitment to two way hockey.

Matthews has a well rounded game for sure. I haven't been a fan of the way Eichel's game has matured from a 200 foot perspective - still has too many shifts where he can get lost. But I agree he's got the best raw toolset.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I guess Eichel needs to be more selfish at international events rather than adjusting his play for the sake of lesser players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad