The top 5 playoff performers in the cap era (2006-2019)

The top 5 playoff performers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
I thought this would be an interesting question. I tried to included as many names as possible, but all in good faith. For the names I included, i wanted the players to have a large sample size mixed with quite a decent amount of quality playoff runs.

For those who might say "Why isn't X player listed":

1. I didn't include players who have 1 inflated playoff run/series that makes them better than they actually are.

2. I didn't include players who are quality playoff performers but with a limited sample size (ie fewer than 50 games played).

3. I didn't include players who are playoff disappointments, or dare I say, playoff chokers.

With that out of the way, vote for who you think are the top 5 playoff performers in the cap era. Vote in good faith. The players are listed in alphabetical order by first name.

Edit: I originally had Couture in the poll, but I accidentally removed him. He's now added.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin is arguably the very best.

Best gpg, and top 3 in ppg. Never gone a series without scoring a goal. Does it without any other elite players on the team.

Reactions: Hisch13r and Voight

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I was thinking Pens duo and Hawks trio, but ultimately had to substitute Doughty for Toews.

It's close, but Doughty was enough of a freaking nightmare in 2014 to edge him out.

Honorable mention to Kopitar as well as Toews. I love Bergeron as a player, but honestly, I've never felt like he's reached the same level in the playoffs as those two. Might be wrong. Going purely on gut, haven't looked at the numbers.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

Best gpg, and top 3 in ppg. Never gone a series without scoring a goal. Does it without any other elite players on the team.
Dude he's been out of the 2nd round once. No one's saying it's his fault, but for that fact alone he has zero place on this list.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System

Why are you pretending the Caps have a bad team? 3 time presidents trophy winner in the cap era. Ovi really only has 2 truly great playoff runs in his career (09 and 18). Been out of the 2nd round once. He scored 26-24-50 in 69 gp from 2011-17. That is a lengthy stretch of his career where he did not play too well.

Last edited:

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The top 4 are non-debatable:

Kane
Keith
Crosby
Malkin
(in any order, all equal)

The 5th player is a tough call. I voted for Doughty. He was incredible for LA in 2012 and 2014.

You can also make very strong cases for Pronger, Zetterberg, and Toews.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Malkin having fewer votes than Kane or Keith is pretty funny. Kane in particular is hilarious. The one thing Kane does is score and Malkin has done that better than Kane

Malkin has been incredible but how in gods name can u be that ignorant and disrespectful towards the greatness of Patrick Kane’s post season performances? He’s a legend...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad