The Top 31 Defensemen in the National Hockey League - #21

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Even if that's the case, Fowler usually allows a lot of chances in his own zone before that happens.

Ah yes. That argument. Because Fowler is the only player on the ice, right?

I have no issue with someone voting Slavin. I think his defensive game is good enough that an argument can be made. But suggesting that all those players are better in terms of mobility and transition? You're simply wrong. Fowler is one of the best players at breaking the puck out in the entire league.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fowler is very good at zone exits but that doesn't necessarily imply what's happening in the zone before the exit

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm sure. But at this spot, there's still several guys up there with better metrics who are just as good at the eye test.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
the only remaining guys IMO with a case over Fowler are Slavin (my vote), Faulk, Hammer, Stralman, Rielly, Klefbom.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Actually there's a lot of people now who realize that having awful analytics is an issue.

Only a Rangers fan would say Fowler is a slightly better version of MDZ. That alone told me everything I needed to know about that poster's opinion, which is to say he wouldn't know his head from his ass when it came to Fowler.

I'm not going to talk about analytics again. I still think they are hugely questionable when it comes to individual players, especially defensemen. Nothing I've seen recently changes that, including the fact that Fowler was just a 25-minute defenseman for one of the best teams in the NHL. One of the best defensive teams too.

Yes, even with his seemingly awful analytics, he was a huge part of that team's success.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Only a Rangers fan would say Fowler is a slightly better version of MDZ. That alone told me everything I needed to know about that poster's opinion, which is to say he wouldn't know his head from his ass when it came to Fowler.

I'm not going to talk about analytics again. I still think they are hugely questionable when it comes to individual players, especially defensemen. Nothing I've seen recently changes that, including the fact that Fowler was just a 25-minute defenseman for one of the best teams in the NHL. One of the best defensive teams too.

Yes, even with his seemingly awful analytics, he was a huge part of that team's success.

You don't have to talk about analytics again but there's no need to attack fanbases.

I've never seen that poster on our board and I know everyone over there.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

If that's the evaluation method you're going after, why would you vote Fowler over Carlson or Niskanen? Greater level of team success and they were a huge part of it.

Also, Niskanen's lack of votes is alarming. Dude is a stud.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Add Orlov.

Btw Machinehead add Girardi :naughty:

My serious add vote is Jake Gardiner.

giphy.gif

Add McIlrath. He is better than Fowler according to you so why is he not on the list?

Voted for Slavin.

You know what? I'm counting that and it's your fault.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'll say this, this list is WAYYYY better than NHL Network's. It at least makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad