The Top 20 Red Wings of All-Time, #7

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Second longest serving Captain in Red Wings history takes down the honors of #6 in the poll by the thinnest of margins over Terrible Ted.

Round 1: Gordie Howe, 82.35%
Round 2: Steve Yzerman, 52%
Round 3: Nicklas Lidstrom, 93.06%
Round 4: Terry Sawchuk, 45.21%
Round 5: Sergei Fedorov, 33.87%
Round 6: Alex Delvecchio 39.34%

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ted Lindsay being this low is literally insane.

For most franchises, but look at that list... It's really good.

Ted's been getting a lot of votes since round 4 and particularly 5. The older legends split the vote and Fedorov won, then the last poll was I think determined by 1 single vote. So it's not like he hasn't been getting his due, but majority voting is an imperfect creature.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Lindsay. Should have been ranked 4th or 5th based on all-time ranking and contributions to the franchise. Followed by Red Kelly (see post below)

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Has the OP ever heard of a guy named Red Kelly?

13 years in Detroit
4 Stanley Cups
6x First Team All Star
2x Second Team All Star
3 Lady Byngs
1 Norris Trophy (thanks Doug Harvey)

Why is he not being mentioned here? Talent wise, he's better than every other player on this list. His accomplishments in a Wings uniform alone exceed every other player on this list. I would have him 6th after Sawchuk and Lindsay. Honestly, I think you could even rotate those players around in any order. and have Kelly as high as 4th. You guys need to educate me on this, because I seem to be missing something.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
For most franchises, but look at that list... It's really good.

Ted's been getting a lot of votes since round 4 and particularly 5. The older legends split the vote and Fedorov won, then the last poll was I think determined by 1 single vote. So it's not like he hasn't been getting his due, but majority voting is an imperfect creature.

I mean, this is a guy who is a top 30 player of all time, regardless of franchise. Absolutely should be 4 or 5. I understand why people went to bat for Fats, he had an illustrious career and was the beta model of Yzerman, but in terms of contributions to the team and to the sport of hockey, n addition to his actual credentials and league standing? I don't think a credible list can have Lindsay outside the top 5. :dunno:

You can make an argument for him being a max of 2 places higher, so not that insane.

I think in the context of an all time list, 2-3 spots is fairly substantial.

Lindsay. Should have been ranked 4th or 5th based on all-time ranking and contributions to the franchise. Followed by Red Kelly (see post below)

Man, I dunno, if Kelly played his entire career in Detroit, definitely, but he split his career pretty evenly. He's definitely going to be ranked high, but I don't think him being this low is that absurd.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Man, I dunno, if Kelly played his entire career in Detroit, definitely, but he split his career pretty evenly. He's definitely going to be ranked high, but I don't think him being this low is that absurd.

His 13 years in Detroit is longer than Fedorov and about the same as Datsyuk, Sawchuk and Lindsay. Yes, him not even being on this list is absurd considering his All time ranking and career accomplishments in Detroit alone.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think in the context of an all time list, 2-3 spots is fairly substantial.

Is it, though? In a fan poll during the summer? Not like we're all digging through the archives looking at footage and pouring over stats here.

I think given the context of our voting criteria, which varies from person to person wildly, it's actually pretty inconsequential.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
2-3 spots, when I don't think a single vote has been overwhelming since #1, really doesn't seem to say anything other than "the Delvecchio voters made a better case, and the Fedorov voters took advantage of the Lindsay/Delvecchio vote split". It's not like we're collectively and unanimously voting for Zetterberg over Howe or anything.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Before my time, but Larry Aurie should be next...he was great. Led NHL in goals 1 year, 2 cups, 3 yrs Detroit Cougars, 2 years Detroit Panthers, & 7 yrs DRW's. His number 5 was retired and hung in the rafters for awhile, but the new owners took it down

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Has the OP ever heard of a guy named Red Kelly?

13 years in Detroit
4 Stanley Cups
6x First Team All Star
2x Second Team All Star
3 Lady Byngs
1 Norris Trophy (thanks Doug Harvey)

Why is he not being mentioned here? Talent wise, he's better than every other player on this list. His accomplishments in a Wings uniform alone exceed every other player on this list. I would have him 6th after Sawchuk and Lindsay. Honestly, I think you could even rotate those players around in any order. and have Kelly as high as 4th. You guys need to educate me on this, because I seem to be missing something.

Good point ! Voted Lindsay. Add Red Kelly definitely. That's quite the resume Kelly's got there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Red Kelly was accidentally omitted as I put up the list. My bad he will come back on in the next round.

I just wanted to throw a new one up and advance the poll as we hadn't put up a new one in a while. Because I didn't run the previous threads none of the names were saved in terms of filling in and I rushed through the list while alphabetizing the names I was thinking of.

Honest mistake leaving off the guy that describes himself as a Maple Leaf, though that is the reason I would never vote him in the top 10 and probably honestly why when throwing this up I forgot him. I was just happy to be getting rid of Primeau.:laugh:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
screw these old players, ive been voting datsyuk for 3 polls in a row

Sadly, I think that's how a lot of people are voting. Gotta respect the players that made Detroit Hockeytown and won multiple Cups for the franchise. Datsyuk may be modern and flashy, but Lindsay, Sawchuk, Kelly and Delvecchio have meant a lot more for the franchise and had better careers in a Detroit uniform.

No way Datsyuk should be voted over any of those players. Same thing with Fedorov, regardless of how much talent he possessed.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Red Kelly was accidentally omitted as I put up the list. My bad he will come back on in the next round.

I just wanted to throw a new one up and advance the poll as we hadn't put up a new one in a while. Because I didn't run the previous threads none of the names were saved in terms of filling in and I rushed through the list while alphabetizing the names I was thinking of.

Honest mistake leaving off the guy that describes himself as a Maple Leaf, though that is the reason I would never vote him in the top 10 and probably honestly why when throwing this up I forgot him. I was just happy to be getting rid of Primeau.:laugh:

Yeah, the Maple Leafs thing is unfortunate, but the resume he had in Detroit can't be erased. Sawchuk played many seasons for the Leafs also. Lindsay played for the Blackhawks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad