The Top 20 Red Wings of All-Time, #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The old guys split the vote, allowing Sergei Fedorov to come away with the win.

Round 1: Gordie Howe, 82.35%
Round 2: Steve Yzerman, 52%
Round 3: Nicklas Lidstrom, 93.06%
Round 4: Terry Sawchuk, 45.21%
Round 5: Sergei Fedorov, 33.87%

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Goaltending has to be the greatest advancement in hockey,...well besides eliminating the blue line/2 line pass. Watching Fedorov's highlights, OML it's almost cringe worthy how bad some of those goals were. For me it says a lot about comparing the "top" players from ages ago to a modern super-star like Pavel Datsyuk. A breakaway then was a guarnteed goal, etc. Those were the days older fans reminice of- the playmaking, puck possesion, and glut of easy goals scored on goalies who looked like out of the late 1970's.

Comparing the Great One, he was so much better for his day because of skating (and horrible, ridiculous 1980's goaltending). Sure vision and good shot but there was a disparity then between skating ability of players up and down the league. Same with Yzerman and Fedorov their skating was miles beyond others.

Looking to this modern time of Zetterberg and Datsyuk you see the continuum and yet their time is not over. I think evolving with parity the last 10 years, success is a matter of fine tuning...noone is able to stand out as greatly (unless you're McDavid :)). D, Z, and Lidstrom for me are part of that bridge between the old and new era of hockey. The stuff they pulled off I still dream about those were the days. They had the talent to astound their peers in ways that are almost impossible and arm in arm they had a significant effect on this league! It may take time but Z and D will be in the discussion of top Red Wings at some point.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
^ Feds could probably still be as good as he was then in modern hockey now. He was that great.

Delvecchio.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I was torn between Lindsay, Abel, and Delvecchio. I went with Delvecchio. The next few rounds will be interesting. Also, why is Primeau still on this list? I'd vote Draper, Maltby, or McCarty over him.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Delvecchio. I'm surprised more Fedorov voters didn't jump to Datsyuk next.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
I was torn between Lindsay, Abel, and Delvecchio. I went with Delvecchio. The next few rounds will be interesting. Also, why is Primeau still on this list? I'd vote Draper, Maltby, or McCarty over him.

I'd even vote Joe Kocur before Keith Primeau.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Fedorov winning #5 is The King's Speech winning Best Picture over Black Swan, Inception, or True Grit.

I'm going there.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Fedorov winning #5 is The King's Speech winning Best Picture over Black Swan, Inception, or True Grit.

I'm going there.

More like Pulp Fiction winning over Gone with the wind. Different eras. The question is now<then or then<now. I tend to think NHL O6-league probably was at a much lower level than NHL now, which makes dominating in present time a much greater achievement than doing so in the, say fifties. And winning cups in a six team league should mathematically be easier than in a 30 team league.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Meh. It's just a fundamental disagreement on what the question is. I don't think there's a single argument for Fedorov having been a 'better Red Wing' than Delvecchio or Lindsay. Similarly, I don't think there's a single argument for Delvecchio or Lindsay having been more talented players, regardless of era. Not that I think the ambiguity is necessarily bad, but I think if the question had been asked slightly differently either way, the lists would probably change pretty dramatically, starting at #2.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

I'd vote about 100 plus players just since '90 over primeau. No idea why that chump is on the list.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
[
QUOTE=hockeyisforeveryone;121699663]Goaltending has to be the greatest advancement in hockey,...well besides eliminating the blue line/2 line pass. Watching Fedorov's highlights, OML it's almost cringe worthy how bad some of those goals were. For me it says a lot about comparing the "top" players from ages ago to a modern super-star like Pavel Datsyuk. A breakaway then was a guarnteed goal, etc. Those were the days older fans reminice of- the playmaking, puck possesion, and glut of easy goals scored on goalies who looked like out of the late 1970's.

The 90s had Roy, Brodeur, Belfour, Richter, Cujo, VanBiesbrook, etc in goal. It's not like the league was littered with shooter-tutor caliber goaltending. I'd be willing to bet there were more 200+ win goalies from that era than in current decades. Federov also had to deal with clutch and grab defenses; he was not the beneficiary of weaker overall talent in the league.

Feds wasn't my choice last round, this one, or the next, but I have to say it is not likely we will see a more rounded player in any generation. Scotty said Federov was the only player he ever saw that could compete for a scoring title and a Norris trophy.

Lose Primeau, add Homer.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015

I'm going there.

While I understand many have a bit of a grievance against fedorov, let's not forget that none of the players left to vote for come close to the accomplishments Feds had as a wing. He gave the wings 13 seasons (his best) he won 3 cups, while having stellar playoff performances. He won hart, lindsay and 2 selke trophies. While lindsay and Delvecchio gave their all for the wings they still don't come close to the accomplishments made by fedorov.

Personally I voted Delvecchio on #5, someone made a great case for him in the 2 previous thread. But I understand why feds ended up getting the spot.

Last edited:

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
Datsyuk should not receive any top 10 votes. What's going on here? What about Ullman, Shanahan, Larson, Kelly, Gellant, Abel, Dionne, Kozlov, Larionov, Chelios? I would pick most of those names before Datsyuk. AINEC

Datsyuk is > Zetterberg unless he captains another cup. Zetterberg seems like he is on a downward spiral performance wise.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Nothing wrong with Fedorov where he is, he could be higher IMO as long as he stays under Howe.

Keith Primeau lol

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Datsyuk should not receive any top 10 votes. What's going on here? What about Ullman, Shanahan, Larson, Kelly, Gellant, Abel, Dionne, Kozlov, Larionov, Chelios? I would pick most of those names before Datsyuk. AINEC

Datsyuk is > Zetterberg unless he captains another cup. Zetterberg seems like he is on a downward spiral performance wise.

Why? Datsyuk played more games for this franchise than everyone on your list.

Better ppg than virtually all those players in that span, as well.

2 Cups, 3 Selke's, and was top 5 player in the league during his peak.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Why? Datsyuk played more games for this franchise than everyone on your list.

Better ppg than virtually all those players in that span, as well.

2 Cups, 3 Selke's, and was top 5 player in the league during his peak.

This 10x

I don't know if it's nostalgia or the fact that Datsyuk just left for KHL but dats is easily in the top 10. It's not absurd to claim that Datsyuk would be on the same level as Lindsay and Delvecchio, especially if you look at the hardware Datsyuk collected as a wing and the cups.

Now i didn't nor would i vote for Datsyuk, at 6 or 7 but he should be a easy lock for 8#.. Like super easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad