The Tomas Plekanec Thread

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He seems to be improving every game and will hopefully be a factor for us in the playoffs.

Nonetheless, it's clear that we overpaid to acquire him as a rental. I hope management has learned it's lesson.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
He seems to be improving every game and will hopefully be a factor for us in the playoffs.

Nonetheless, it's clear that we overpaid to acquire him as a rental. I hope management has learned it's lesson.
Considering we literally did the exact same thing last year (trading a 2nd for a solid bottom 6 C rental (which is still an overpayment in the first place) only to neuter the hell out of him with our deployment)... yeah. I mean, this is Brian Boyle 2.0.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I bet that 2nd round pick we traded for this bum plays more NHL games then this bum plays for the leafs.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Considering we literally did the exact same thing last year (trading a 2nd for a solid bottom 6 C rental (which is still an overpayment in the first place) only to neuter the hell out of him with our deployment)... yeah. I mean, this is Brian Boyle 2.0.

Boyle could actually contribute offensively though.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I don't like Plekanec.

We should have the following down the middle for the playoffs:
Matthews
Kadri
Nylander
Bozak

Full lineup:
Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Brown
Johnsson - Bozak - Komarov

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't like Plekanec.

We should have the following down the middle for the playoffs:
Matthews
Kadri
Nylander
Bozak

Full lineup:
Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Brown
Johnsson - Bozak - Komarov

I like it.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I really wanted to like the deal and was hoping he would give us C depth and some secondary scoring while helping the special teams units.
He's done none of the above. Completely useless. I'm in agreement with other posters and say Moore is a much better option.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I really wanted to like the deal and was hoping he would give us C depth and some secondary scoring while helping the special teams units.
He's done none of the above. Completely useless. I'm in agreement with other posters and say Moore is a much better option.

In an interview the day after the trade Jason York sad he didn't like the deal for the Leafs and he is looking prophetic. However I am going to judge him by his playoff performance only.

Reactions: iSophagus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I really have a hard time believing hes better than Moore or Gauthier.

I have no doubt he's better than Gauthier. That guy's just not an NHL regular.

But Moore was doing as much or more than Pleks has so far. It's a bit sad for Moore, who is a good guy and wanted to be here. I liked watching him as a Leaf.

But, Like @ToneDog said, we should only judge Plekanec by his playoff performance. This isn't a trade we can call a win or a loss before the playoffs even start. It would be great if he were more noticeable now, and maybe got a point to get everyone off his back. But we didn't get him for points in the regular season, but for shutdown ability in the 2nd season.

The price was a bit too high. We made almost the exact same move last year. The pick went to a rival team. And he has performed poorly so far. But I still won't call it a loss until we see if he can make a difference in a playoff game.

Reactions: ToneDog

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Kappy - Moore - Johnsson/Martin/Leivo/Komarov

IMO he's playing himself off the playoff roster if we are fully healthy.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i didn't understand the need for this trade at the time and it's looking worse now considering Moore is the better player

last year we were fighting for a playoff spot so i understood the trade for Boyle who was an actual upgrade on who he replaced

i also don't understand why we didn't give Aaltonen a few games so see if he could fill this role

i also think we could have easily built a competent 4th line with Komo at C

anyway it's not a huge mistake and at least he's off the books at the end of this season

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Moore was not doing more than Pleks. Our 4th was so weak under Moore and the difference now is we are a complete team but have some big time injury action going on. You people need to relax, we aren't counting on Pleks putting up points here lol

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He has sucked, but don't forget the only reason we got him is because Moore sucked too.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He has sucked, but don't forget the only reason we got him is because Moore sucked too.

He is so much better than Moore it's not even funny. I am quite happy not being trapped in our zone all the time and the relatively steady stream of Kapanen getting chances. If Kappy starts converting those into Goals more frequently, well, Pleks will start getting some points as well.

Saying he has sucked is not true. He just hasn't produced offensively but most players don't in their first 10 games with a new team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am curious if people think he is worse than Boyle?

He isn't, he is better than Boyle. Boyle got wrecked if he was on with the other teams top line. Pleks makes it more like 50/50 that we will get the puck back. That's basically why we got him. We got a legit shutdown 3c to play on our 4th. Kadri is our other matchup/shutdown C. Matthews is all situations and Bozak the sheltered.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I am curious if people think he is worse than Boyle?

What is worse is giving up 2nd round picks in consecutive years for both/either these players. IMO

Hopefully we get some return on our investment in the playoffs from Pleks or it will be an ill advised move.

The fact he is life long Hab and to a diehard Leaf fan that makes him almost impossible to like or cheer for after a decade of cheering against vehemently as a arch rival to the Leafs.

Reactions: Lemontree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad