The thread in which I invite people to explain how AV hates young/skilled players

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Okay, so this has been going on for a while, and it comes up at some point all over the place, so let's just have a thread where we can do this.

Please post, in as much detail as possible, explanations and examples that show your reasoning for why you believe that Alain Vigneault:
-Dislikes young players and does not give them a chance.
-Dislikes skilled players and instead favours lesser players.
-Is bad at developing young players.

Can we please do this instead of the usual flyby mentioning this in other threads?

Steve Bennett*

Okay, so this has been going on for a while, and it comes up at some point all over the place, so let's just have a thread where we can do this.

Please post, in as much detail as possible, explanations and examples that show your reasoning for why you believe that Alain Vigneault:

Can we please do this instead of the usual flyby mentioning this in other threads?

Audio Visual rocks...

keep thu guy around...

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley

You can add how does AV control roster moves or gets credit(?!) for roster moves.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
bCyI1.jpg

"Alain Vigneault doesn't care about young players."

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I personally don't think it's so much of an age thing, it's more of a "skilled player" thing. AV has a "type", and pretty clearly isn't comfortable will skilled players, especially if they have some perceived flaws defensively or lack "grit". This is especially true for players in his bottom six. AV has no time for skill on his bottom two lines, especially on the 4th line.

He also plays favourites, and decides he likes certain guys, and doesn't like others, regardless of how they perform.

He never had much time for Trevor Linden, but couldn't get enough Jeff Cowan or Byron Ritchie. It was pretty clear he was never very high on that kid from Brampton. Didn't like Grabner or Shirokov. Couldn't stand Kyle Wellwood.

AV will play young players: guys like Weiss won't have any problem. I think Jensen might have a good shot, because AV can picture him in a bottom six role.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC

:handclap:

Basically, the people who subscribe to this view all think that newbies should be thrown on the 1st or 2nd line and left there for a couple of months to "develop" because, Lord knows, the priority should be to develop those players, not to win games. Tony Gallagher was whining on Team 1040 this morning about players like Kassian getting 6 min a game on the 4th line. People forget what this team was like when AV became coach - he has demonstrated that he knows how to develop young players.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
And the better players he was blocking with them?

(I completely agree with your original point, but) The only egregious example I can think of is when they decided to keep Rick Rypien/Mike Brown as the team's 12th/13th forwards and waived Kyle Wellwood when they had no offensive depth on the farm whatsoever. Someone got hurt, and they had to risk putting Wellwood through re-entry waivers to get him back up when an inevitable injury hit.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Basically, AV is a victim of his own success.

He develops most of our current core players, team turns into perennial Cup contenders, team gets poorer draft position, team can't or won't draft high end offensive talent = AV hates youth and skill.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
(I completely agree with your original point, but) The only egregious example I can think of is when they decided to keep Rick Rypien/Mike Brown as the team's 12th/13th forwards and waived Kyle Wellwood when they had no offensive depth on the farm whatsoever. Someone got hurt, and they had to risk putting Wellwood through re-entry waivers to get him back up when an inevitable injury hit.

Was there much of an age difference between Rypien/Brown and Wellwood? Couldn't have been much more than a few years....

Outside99*

The explanation is simple really.

AV is risk-averse. Almost every press conference, scrum or interview he talks about making the high % play.

He doesn't like players who take risks but for offensive forwards, that's the nature of the beast.

Does anyone remember when a Canucks dman not usually known for his offensive prowess (Lukowich?) made this end to end rush and scored and AV was laughing his head off saying it was very risky but that fortunately it had worked out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
The explanation is simple really.

AV is risk-averse. Almost every press conference, scrum or interview he talks about making the high % play.

This is true.

The trouble is, sometimes highly skilled players might cheat out of the zone or lose their man defensively, especially when they're learning the game. I don't think AV has any patience for that.

We saw an example of this last year. Vigneault was clearly never comfortable with...you know who, and felt better replacing him with a player like Pahlsson.

In that case, I think the cautious approach hurt the team's chances to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad