OT: The thread formerly known as Mousecop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I banked some "Dad of the Year" points yesterday.

My freshman hockey playing son is a practice player on the JV team for a neighboring school because his mom wasn't down with him playing for his school's JV team because of the cost and the drive time (they partner with another school and the JV team plays at a rink that is about a 30 minute drive away in the opposite corner of the county).

I noticed that the JV team he practices with didn't have a lot of kids committed to driving to Ithaca yesterday for their game.

I text the head coach (who's also my son's club team's co-head coach) yesterday morning if he needs my son. We were at church, but his gear was in my car because I was taking him to a skate & shoot at 1pm regardless.

The coach says that if I want to make the drive, he would get him on the ice and it was likely to be the only JV game he gets to play in.

So, I spent four hours in a car for my son to split 3rd line reps along with three of his bantam teammates.

5 of the 10 forwards and 1 of the 4 D were from my son's club team. So, while they lost 6-5 in OT and my son felt his game was mediocre, I am glad I made the drive.

But, spending that much time in the car does have be questioning the sanity of parents that have really good programs in their backyard and yet they choose to spend hours and hours per week on the road to have their kids play in another program.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I’m going to have a son!!!! Yes!!!!!

“I hope you grow up to become that everything you can be
That’s all I wanted for you, youngin
Like father, like son
But in the end I hope you only turn out better than me
I hope you know I love you, youngin
Like father, like son
My little man, your day is coming“

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Like father, like son
Like father, like son

Congratulations!!

Reactions: jBuds

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Like father, like son
Like father, like son

Congrats!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think I've learned there are two jobs I could not do -- speech writer or ghost writer. My words damnitall. Mine.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I'm surprised it isn't a bit smaller than it is. It looks to be about the same size that the F150 used to be. Trucks have gotten way too big.

I have little interest in a full size F-150/Silverado these days because they are simply way to big of vehicles if you live in a busy area, if you need to tow or live in a rural area? absolutely. Right now I have a 2009 toyota tacoma work truck that is going to be replaced this year, I hope they replace it with the Ranger because I don't want a bigger truck when the ranger is more then enough. I'd bet a Ranger/Colorado/Tacoma is more then enough for 90% of people who buy a full size. I work in construction, so having anything but a pick up isn't a realistic option, but I just need the ground clearance and bed, don't care about towing.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Try living in Southern Ontario right now.....what's the Buffalo market like?

Prices were going 10-15% above asking for the last 3 years while we were looking. We bid on 7 homes and got outbid on each one. We did not want to overpay and were extremely patient. We got our home $8,000 under asking in the southern suburbs of Buffalo (Hamburg) It's a location many families want to be in right now. 15 minutes to downtown Buffalo, very safe neighborhoods, good schools, 1 mile from the i90 thruway, great location. I think it has to do with the correction in the market, rising rates, inflated market, and most importantly most people don't buy homes around this timeframe. (Winter)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Try living in Southern Ontario right now.....what's the Buffalo market like?

Prices were going 10-15% above asking for the last 3 years while we were looking. We bid on 7 homes and got outbid on each one. We did not want to overpay and were extremely patient. We got our home $8,000 under asking in the southern suburbs of Buffalo (Hamburg) It's a location many families want to be in right now. 15 minutes to downtown Buffalo, very safe neighborhoods, good schools, 1 mile from the i90 thruway, great location. I think it has to do with the correction in the market, rising rates, inflated market, and most importantly most people don't buy homes around this timeframe. (Winter)

I'm surprised the rising US interest rates hasn't caused a prices to stabilize a bit. I'm not sure we're in bubble territory yet, but I'd like to see them drop soon as I'll be in the market for a house next summer (which market TBD)

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I need it to stay a sellers market through spring! We are having some touch up work done on the Indiana house and want to sell it as early as possible in spring.
The move and NJ house are making us house poor!! :(

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
just emailed the last assignment of law school, a position paper on cyber rights for children

for all intents and purposes, I am done with law school, SU Law '19, 9 years of school and 3 13/14ths degrees later (never did finish that nuclear physics class)

start work in Philly mid January

Reactions: Butt Ox and jBuds

HappySabresFan

Jul 1, 2018
I'm buying a new car (old one got totaled, wasn't my fault). My budget is about $12000 do you all have any recommendations?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
just emailed the last assignment of law school, a position paper on cyber rights for children

for all intents and purposes, I am done with law school, SU Law '19, 9 years of school and 3 13/14ths degrees later (never did finish that nuclear physics class)

start work in Philly mid January
Good luck. Got a specialty?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm buying a new car (old one got totaled, wasn't my fault). My budget is about $12000 do you all have any recommendations?

I'll second the Toyota recommendation. Typically very solid and holds value well. The Camry Hybrid will pretty much last forever, though it'll be boring AF to drive. Same with the Prius.

I had a 2012 Mazda 3 hatch (used) and put around 50k miles on it over 3 years with zero issues. The Mazda 3/6 line is reasonably reliable and a bit more sporty.

Newer GM (2015 and on) have done well.

Honda, Hyundai/Kia all produce somewhat reliable cars. I'd suggest investing in a consumer reports subscription (online) for a year to get all their data about specific model years.

I'd avoid any FCA (Fiat Chrysler America) Cars (Jeep, Dodge, Fiat, Chrysler), VW, used older higher end (BMW/Mercades) as the cost of ownership and repair is through the roof. An older Lexus is basically a souped up Toyota, but you'd have to go to much older model years to get to 12k budget.

Reactions: HappySabresFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad