OT: The thread formerly known as Mousecop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
On the topic of finance, I owe $5900 on my car which was purchased brand new in 2014, it’s at 0% interest. I don’t have a house right now and live at my parents, if I continues to make my payments I have another 1 year and 9 months left. I have about 65k saved up, should I just pay that off or continue to make the payments? I plan on buying a house in 2-3 years.

I like the freedom of having that car completely paid off, I also kinda think why get rid of $6000 if you can keep making payments of $270 a month for another year and 9 months.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
If the car loan is 0% interest and you could save money at a higher interest rate, which you should be able to do, then it seems like an easy decision to keep making the payments.

I know it's moot since you are already making payments but most 0% interest rates have some type of administrative or processing fee that should be considered when deciding if or where to finance. These fees could cost more than obtaining a loan with interest . Given it's over a six year period the fee, if there was one, may work out to a small percentage . I expect you are fully aware however if one person learns from the post then it was worthwhile. Furniture stores with no payments for X months or short term financing may be some if the worst culprits .

Reactions: Jim Bob

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
On the topic of finance, I owe $5900 on my car which was purchased brand new in 2014, it’s at 0% interest. I don’t have a house right now and live at my parents, if I continues to make my payments I have another 1 year and 9 months left. I have about 65k saved up, should I just pay that off or continue to make the payments? I plan on buying a house in 2-3 years.

I like the freedom of having that car completely paid off, I also kinda think why get rid of $6000 if you can keep making payments of $270 a month for another year and 9 months.

Personally, if you have the cash, pay it off, even at a 0% interest rate. I don't like carrying around unnecessary debt though. Makes it much easier to sell private party if you wanted to get a different car. There is a lot of flexibility of having the title in hand.

From a pure asset management perspective, putting 5900 in an interest bearing account (2.7% for a 1 year CD), will yield you better than paying off a 0% depreciating asset, but its a few hundred dollars. If you have zero plans to change cars in the next 18 months, I guess you can carry the note on the car with no problem.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Personally, if you have the cash, pay it off, even at a 0% interest rate. I don't like carrying around unnecessary debt though. Makes it much easier to sell private party if you wanted to get a different car. There is a lot of flexibility of having the title in hand.

From a pure asset management perspective, putting 5900 in an interest bearing account (2.7% for a 1 year CD), will yield you better than paying off a 0% depreciating asset, but its a few hundred dollars. If you have zero plans to change cars in the next 18 months, I guess you can carry the note on the car with no problem.

I honestly decide I’m just gonna double my payments and add a bit to make it an even $600 a month and budget for that. Then it will be paid off in about 9-10 months from now.

I really don’t like the idea of making payments on a 5+ year old car, I’d like to pay it off quicker then another two years. The payments are only $270 a month after tax Canadian so it’s not much.

Right now the car is really my own expense, so no reason not to pay it off quicker. At $5900 it’s not like the interest made is going to be much anyways to make that a concern. I might also just put my income tax towards as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Bob

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
RIP Keith Flint

7b99167cdbdd59249b9e75c413d0.jpeg

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

If the car loan is 0% interest and you could save money at a higher interest rate, which you should be able to do, then it seems like an easy decision to keep making the payments.

I know it's moot since you are already making payments but most 0% interest rates have some type of administrative or processing fee that should be considered when deciding if or where to finance. These fees could cost more than obtaining a loan with interest . Given it's over a six year period the fee, if there was one, may work out to a small percentage . I expect you are fully aware however if one person learns from the post then it was worthwhile. Furniture stores with no payments for X months or short term financing may be some if the worst culprits .
Pretty sure if it’s a zero percent loan you already paid an origination fee up front.

For example I had to explain to my wife that a $10k loan at 0% where she paid $400 up front to get the $10k really isn’t a 0% loan. But it’s not a 400/10000 = 4% rate either because there’s no compounding and there’s no traditional benefit of interest savings by paying it off early.

As you replied above, you’re in a good situation regardless so it’s really personal preference what you do. Since you intend to buy a house sooner than later, You may want to ask a mortgage company or two whether your credit rating would be helped or hurt by paying off the car early.
It’s been a while since I checked housing and I don’t know USA vs Canada differences, but it used to be you could get a mortgage loan totaling ~2.5x your annual income. That is not to say it’s a good financial decision to do so, you’ll need to consider a whole host of market and personal factors.

Regardless of the above, there is never a downside to paying off debt.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Friendly reminder for anyone who picked up my short story when it was free to please leave a review when you have a chance. Hopefully a positive one.

Reactions: HaNotsri

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Wrist injury from my hockey days 5-6 years ago has returned the past 6 months or so where it flares up on a regular basis and hurts prettt bad. Something isn’t right, debating getting it looked at. Not sure what they can do for it.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Saw my extended family on my father's side in the Pennsylvania Alleghenies this past weekend for our camp party. I explain it to others as our annual redneck Mardi Gras, where we replace beads and boobs with beer and bullets and have some good food, shooting contests, etc., the w/e before Ash Wednesday.

Re: wrist issues, @1972
One of my cousins had just had carpal tunnel surgery a few days before. 4 minute operation, 1" incision.

Penalty Killa

glitter skates
Oct 1, 2007
Sabres Nation
Someone in Buffalo drives around with the vanity plate "ARYASTRK".

Now, don't get me wrong, I love me some GOT (haven't read the books), but I find this to be a bold generalization/statement to make for all commuters to see.
What's something that says a lot about me? Oh I know - I LOVE ARYA STARK!

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Someone in Buffalo drives around with the vanity plate "ARYASTRK".

Now, don't get me wrong, I love me some GOT (haven't read the books), but I find this to be a bold generalization/statement to make for all commuters to see.
What's something that says a lot about me? Oh I know - I LOVE ARYA STARK!
Get your own vanity place that says IMNOONE

FREYPIE?

Reactions: Penalty Killa

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Mom got results back today. Stage 4 nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Rare form of cancer for this region of the world. Never smoked.
Ill keep her in my prayers, im very sorry to hear that. Absolutely terrible news

I started smoking again, and its really taking a toll on my breathing.

Reactions: EichHart

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Years ago there was a black sports car where I live which would always accelerate rapidly from stop lights, drive aggressively, etc., with a the license plate which read [150 IQ].

Just to piss him off, I wanted to get a plate for my junker saying [10" PNIS] and park it next to him.

Of course, I didn't have a ...junker :sarcasm:.

Last edited:
Reactions: HaNotsri

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I have about 2.75 hours left in my 19 hour work day and I’ve officially hit the wall. I’m not nearly as young as I used to be and days like today take their toll.

The best part is I have to be up at 7:30 in the morning to get my son to work at 8:00 and then my daughter to a Girl Scout event at 9:30.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I had the best dream last night.

I won the PowerBall and the Sabres won the draft lottery.

As much as I'd love to get basically unlimited money for life, acquiring it via a powerball/mega millions style lotto seems like a nightmare.

Even if you can claim it anonymously (some states you can, some you can't), chances are, given the give out the exact location it was sold, someone will figure out who bought it. Then the endless harassment/scams will start. My wife (a doctor) actually told me she'd have to quit her job if we won, because the motivation for a lawsuit would skyrocket if they knew we had hundreds of millions in the bank.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
As much as I'd love to get basically unlimited money for life, acquiring it via a powerball/mega millions style lotto seems like a nightmare.

Even if you can claim it anonymously (some states you can, some you can't), chances are, given the give out the exact location it was sold, someone will figure out who bought it. Then the endless harassment/scams will start. My wife (a doctor) actually told me she'd have to quit her job if we won, because the motivation for a lawsuit would skyrocket if they knew we had hundreds of millions in the bank.

Winning the lottery is like someone striking gold as an athlete, an entertainer, or if you are someone who makes a lot of money quickly in business.

Living on a budget and downloading the No Button app would be keys to not going broke in five years.

Another key is moving next door to someone who is richer and more famous. So, if someone in Buffalo wins, just buy the house next to Jack Eichel.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad