OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 189: Remembering Mogilny 100 Years From Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
i'm not much better than you. I think the best i'll do with any consistency is in the high 80's. i'll have the occasional 79 on a 72, but usually not much better than that.

i reeaaaally want to get out and play a round soon. hopefully i can make it out this sunday

The thing I need to keep reminding myself of (especially when I see people talk about their scores and its far better than what I do): I've really only been playing golf (like, actually golf, not just going to a driving range and gripping and ripping for half an hour) for 3 years with no lessons and only sporadic play. The fact I'm improving probably about 5 strokes each year on average is a good sign and I really shouldn't worry about where the numbers are. Considering I sprayed the ball all over the course today, and probably only hit a couple of "good" shots, the fact I saved 100 is kind of impressive for me.

Like you said though, it all comes back to consistency. Last year I put up most of my rounds in the mid 90s, yet one random week I ended up putting up an 84 out of nowhere, so I guess it happens.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
golf talk and today is absolutely gorgeous out... I'm getting the itch. 78 degrees, mostly sunny and 3-5 mph breeze.

I'm just waiting for the twilight rate to kick in :)

And no Rhodes, no cold, no writing papers. Just another 12 hour shift. I have off the next two days though so it's cool.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
anything under 100 on a golf course is a good day in my book. bunch of bagger vances up in this ***** :laugh:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
The thing I need to keep reminding myself of (especially when I see people talk about their scores and its far better than what I do): I've really only been playing golf (like, actually golf, not just going to a driving range and gripping and ripping for half an hour) for 3 years with no lessons and only sporadic play. The fact I'm improving probably about 5 strokes each year on average is a good sign and I really shouldn't worry about where the numbers are. Considering I sprayed the ball all over the course today, and probably only hit a couple of "good" shots, the fact I saved 100 is kind of impressive for me.

Like you said though, it all comes back to consistency. Last year I put up most of my rounds in the mid 90s, yet one random week I ended up putting up an 84 out of nowhere, so I guess it happens.

i've been playing sporadically since i was 14, but only in the last 2 years have i started playing on full courses with any regularity (i played a lot on par 3 courses in high school)
as you can imagine, this means my short game is generally pretty good, but i lose strokes getting to my 6 iron and up. my short game keeps me in the high 80's if i play at least once a week during the summer. i take a similar approach to you, though. as long as i get more consistent and i'm enjoying myself, i don't really care what my score is

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
anything under 100 on a golf course is a good day in my book. bunch of bagger vances up in this ***** :laugh:

Dollars? I think by the time I pro-rate my golf clubs, beer, balls, crappy turkey sandwiches and hot dogs, greens fees and so forth, it probably comes out to about that for how much I play.

I calculated how much a fish costs me on average to catch once too.

DON'T DO THAT.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Dollars? I think by the time I pro-rate my golf clubs, beer, balls, crappy turkey sandwiches and hot dogs, greens fees and so forth, it probably comes out to about that for how much I play.

DON'T DO THAT.

Is this like figuring out how much it costs me to score a goal in hockey?

That doesn't seem smart either.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec

DON'T DO THAT.

I think he meant a score of 100. In which case, I agree. Still remember that horrible day when I shot a 122.:cry:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

DON'T DO THAT.

a score of 100 :laugh: ...i try not to think about costs out there, unless we're playing bingo bango bongo style

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i've been playing sporadically since i was 14, but only in the last 2 years have i started playing on full courses with any regularity (i played a lot on par 3 courses in high school)
as you can imagine, this means my short game is generally pretty good, but i lose strokes getting to my 6 iron and up. my short game keeps me in the high 80's if i play at least once a week during the summer. i take a similar approach to you, though. as long as i get more consistent and i'm enjoying myself, i don't really care what my score is

last year I went through a phase where I teed off with a 7 iron, every hole (I think I even posted about the results, which were good…) this year I might try hitting every shot with a 3 wood, see how that goes

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Is this like figuring out how much it costs me to score a goal in hockey?

That doesn't seem smart either.

Especially don't track this as you get older...

I think he meant a score of 100. In which case, I agree. Still remember that horrible day when I shot a 122.:cry:

Yeah I know - just playing with him (and his score).

I consider triple digits acceptable if you have never played a course before. Those teebox maps are full of lies.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Anything under 90 is a great day for me. Usually only play 9 though cause nobody has the interest to play 18 with me even though I could play golf any day of the year here, go figure.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
It's miserable here. Cold, windy and grey with rain on and off. Plus they're calling for a foot of snow this Thursday night.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
easton-hk-stealth-s19-usa-sr__31085_zoom.jpg

Just snagged this beauty from eBay a couple of days ago for $100. I bid early on it thinking I wasn't going to win but ended up winning anyway.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area

Get a lesson from a good golf pro a couple times a summer and spend a lot of time on the range. That's where the game is improved, not playing every day. Just have to learn to trust your swing.

Jim furyk's swing is bowling shoe ugly but he trusts it and that's most important.

I love going to the range and seeing all these people smashing driver after driver. That's not where you score. Hit your 5-sw all day. Then hit some more. Make your life easier on the course by hitting your approach shots close and everything else will tale care of itself...

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Get a lesson from a good golf pro a couple times a summer and spend a lot of time on the range. That's where the game is improved, not playing every day. Just have to learn to trust your swing.

Jim furyk's swing is bowling shoe ugly but he trusts it and that's most important.

I love going to the range and seeing all these people smashing driver after driver. That's not where you score. Hit your 5-sw all day. Then hit some more. Make your life easier on the course by hitting your approach shots close and everything else will tale care of itself...

Indeed - and putting. A few hours on the practice green some weeknight a couple of times a year will do wonders for your score. Putter is the only club we pull every hole unless you got damn lucky. :)

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey

I've spent enough time (maybe too much) at the range the last couple of years. I go plenty, work out kinks of my swing, try adjusting things, etc. But I always get back to the point where I'm not doing myself any more favors by still going there, mostly because you can't replicate the hitting surface well enough. I hit every iron and wedge so clean at the range by now that you would think I've been playing at a high level my entire life. Sometimes it can translate to a course, sometimes not. I'm not always getting a perfect lie on a flat artificial surface like at the range, so if I get too used to that, I don't hit down enough on the ball, or I struggling with hitting and adjusting to the lie of the ball. I'm not saying the range doesn't have its purpose. It definitely does, but I'm at the point where it doesn't serve too much of a purpose anymore unless there's something I'm doing wrong and need to work out. My issue, today especially, we a lot of staying down and through my swing. Topping the ball and/or pulling up too much and just screwing up swings. But that's something that i just have to do and won't matter where I'm at trying to fix it.

By the same token though, it helped a ton this season alone in some areas. Last time I was at the range (2-3 weeks ago maybe) I got a bucket of 100 golf balls, but really didn't have the energy for more than about 60 of them. I wasn't going to waste them so I just decided to do easy chips with wedges to run through them since its quick and easy. The two rounds I've played this year have been saved purely by my chipping and those easy little shots inside 50 yards. Now its just an issue of touch and feel to get the distance a little more precise.

Getting a couple lessons is definitely something I need to do and have been meaning to for the last year or so. Especially thought I would during the winter but never did. We'll see how the near future goes. May still do that soon.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I wanna get my hands on some FOOF.

Just read an article on it and it seems like a ******** of fun. Dangerous, but fun.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
last year I went through a phase where I teed off with a 7 iron, every hole (I think I even posted about the results, which were good…) this year I might try hitting every shot with a 3 wood, see how that goes
i was teeing off with a 3 iron a lot last year. it actually worked out pretty well. it wasn't all that much shorter than i can hit with a driver and it was a lot more consistent. i'm going to move up to using woods to tee off with this year to see if i can work my way back up to a driver.
I've spent enough time (maybe too much) at the range the last couple of years. I go plenty, work out kinks of my swing, try adjusting things, etc. But I always get back to the point where I'm not doing myself any more favors by still going there, mostly because you can't replicate the hitting surface well enough. I hit every iron and wedge so clean at the range by now that you would think I've been playing at a high level my entire life. Sometimes it can translate to a course, sometimes not. I'm not always getting a perfect lie on a flat artificial surface like at the range, so if I get too used to that, I don't hit down enough on the ball, or I struggling with hitting and adjusting to the lie of the ball. I'm not saying the range doesn't have its purpose. It definitely does, but I'm at the point where it doesn't serve too much of a purpose anymore unless there's something I'm doing wrong and need to work out. My issue, today especially, we a lot of staying down and through my swing. Topping the ball and/or pulling up too much and just screwing up swings. But that's something that i just have to do and won't matter where I'm at trying to fix it.

By the same token though, it helped a ton this season alone in some areas. Last time I was at the range (2-3 weeks ago maybe) I got a bucket of 100 golf balls, but really didn't have the energy for more than about 60 of them. I wasn't going to waste them so I just decided to do easy chips with wedges to run through them since its quick and easy. The two rounds I've played this year have been saved purely by my chipping and those easy little shots inside 50 yards. Now its just an issue of touch and feel to get the distance a little more precise.

Getting a couple lessons is definitely something I need to do and have been meaning to for the last year or so. Especially thought I would during the winter but never did. We'll see how the near future goes. May still do that soon.

if you can, try to find a range that has natural surfaces. it's better for real-world conditions and also it's cheaper a lot of the time too.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
i was teeing off with a 3 iron a lot last year. it actually worked out pretty well. it wasn't all that much shorter than i can hit with a driver and it was a lot more consistent. i'm going to move up to using woods to tee off with this year to see if i can work my way back up to a driver.

if you can, try to find a range that has natural surfaces. it's better for real-world conditions and also it's cheaper a lot of the time too.

Don't know of any of those around me. The one I go to has one area where they have a sythentic surface off to the side that is slightly more realistic than the normal mats throughout the range. Its deliberately uneven, so it can help in that regard to an extent. Sadly that area gets pretty crowded (if there is a decent amount of people there), so its hit or miss depending on the time. And with the weather getting better, I assume so will business for them, so....

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I wanna get my hands on some FOOF.

Just read an article on it and it seems like a ******** of fun. Dangerous, but fun.

Dangerous seems like a massive understatement...

Do let me know if you get your hands on some. If only I had an oven capable of producing temps up to 700C...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad