OT: The Thread About Nothing CCX: Pet Emporium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
It does. The move from $38 to $32 was the bad news. The move from $32 to $20 is coronavirus.

Look at Cedar Fair (another amusement park stock), it's down 31% on coronavirus. Disney is diversified beyond amusement & water parks, and it's still down 20%.

Well I'm a season pass holder who isn't afraid to go to the parks so you're welcome haha

I'm not really a stock guy but yeah I'm sure that they will all end up going back up. Disney has the parks in China and Tokyo closed and Iger resigning so I'm sure that's not helping them either with their current stocks even with how much stuff they own.

What company do you use to deal with your stocks? I've always debated dabbling a little but never got into it because I like more of a sure thing but I would debate buying some six flags stock if it drops a bit lower just to give it a whirl even though I still don't fully trust six flags lol

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Can you provide a source stating that the 3% (it's actually 3.4% which is a significant distinction) figure is based exclusively on documented cases?

70 documented cases which have left 11 dead in WA alone.

So how many do you suppose there actually are in Kurt Cobain's backyard? 140? 280? At what number should I start being as concerned as governments, NGO's, and businesses are?

And again, by this logic the flu only has a 0.001% mortality rate.

Thats the thing, man. There could be 80 total cases, or there could be 80000 in Washington state. Your number 3.4% by necessity must be documented. They can't report speculation, and even the documented number bears some examination.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I tend to agree with this. Frankly I'm wondering if I had Corona virus. I never, ever get the flu but had something this year that presented flu like symptoms. I was very surprised. I'm wondering if it was Covid 19. With how much a travel, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

I've had a low grade cough and cold for about six weeks now since travelling to the Bay area. I kinda wondered the same thing.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You’re saying that if we want to adjust down the mortality rate for covid because many cases haven’t been recorded then the flu would also get a massive downward adjustment for the same reason. But that isn’t true because we already use an estimate for flu exposure while we aren’t doing that for covid.

Likely we’ve missed deaths by covid but we’ve likely missed many more infected by a much higher rate.

So no, you can’t say to argue that covid’s likely mortality rate is lower than currently recorded could be used in the same way to lower the flu’s mortality rate.
That didn't answer my very direct question.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Well I'm a season pass holder who isn't afraid to go to the parks so you're welcome haha

I'm not really a stock guy but yeah I'm sure that they will all end up going back up. Disney has the parks in China and Tokyo closed and Iger resigning so I'm sure that's not helping them either with their current stocks even with how much stuff they own.

What company do you use to deal with your stocks? I've always debated dabbling a little but never got into it because I like more of a sure thing but I would debate buying some six flags stock if it drops a bit lower just to give it a whirl even though I still don't fully trust six flags lol

Use the Robin Hood app. It is free too

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
That didn't answer my very direct question.

I think Covid is likely more deadly than the flu.

why do you need me to answer this question when it was not related to the point you were making that I quoted?

Do you still think the Flu and Covid’s mortality rates are calculated the same way? That adjusting Covid’s mortality for undiagnosed cases would mean making a similar adjustment for the flu?

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Thats the thing, man. There could be 80 total cases, or there could be 80000 in Washington state. Your number 3.4% by necessity must be documented. They can't report speculation, and even the documented number bears some examination.
3.4% is not "my number".

The willful ignorance regarding this is appalling.

What in the hell has our fractured government unanimously agreed on in the last 3 years?

This. That's what.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Can you provide a source stating that the 3% (it's actually 3.4% which is a significant distinction) figure is based exclusively on documented cases?

Coronavirus Update (Live): 102,237 Cases and 3,497 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

It’s the number of worldwide confirmed deaths divided by worldwide confirmed cases, ending up at 3.4%.

The country likely doing the best job at testing is South Korea and their mortality rate is 0.7% which is a hopeful sign the true mortality rate is not 3.4% due to under confirmation.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What company do you use to deal with your stocks?

I use TD Ameritrade for typical trading, and my 401k stuff is with Fidelity.

Use the Robin Hood app. It is free too

I definitely would not do this. It's aimed at 20-somethings, it's new'ish, and if this week is any indicator, they clearly cannot handle high-volume trading days, which is when you may need it the most.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Coronavirus Update (Live): 102,237 Cases and 3,497 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

It’s the number of worldwide confirmed deaths divided by worldwide confirmed cases, ending up at 3.4%.

The country likely doing the best job at testing is South Korea and their mortality rate is 0.7% which is a hopeful sign the true mortality rate is not 3.4% due to under confirmation.
Worldometers.

Solid.

I'll be sure to base my next vote for the presidency on the random numbers generated on that building across from union square.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I use TD Ameritrade for typical trading, and my 401k stuff is with Fidelity.

I definitely would not do this. It's aimed at 20-somethings, it's new'ish, and if this week is any indicator, they clearly cannot handle high-volume trading days, which is when you may need it the most.

If you're just looking to dabble and play around to get started, robin hood is what you want for that.

I use vanguard as my main thing.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I think Covid is likely more deadly than the flu.

why do you need me to answer this question when it was not related to the point you were making that I quoted?

Do you still think the Flu and Covid’s mortality rates are calculated the same way? That adjusting Covid’s mortality for undiagnosed cases would mean making a similar adjustment for the flu?
No. I think that you're aggressively attempting to minimize the unfortunate reality of the situation.

Given that your most recent posts imply that you're in finance, it's not surprising.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You are absolutely spot-on. If I had ready cash, it is a prime opportunity to move in... Even if you aren't a speculative investor, SPY is almost guaranteed money.

I'm buying very distressed things that have been hammered.

If you had told me 3 weeks ago I would put 5¢ into SIX let alone $5k, I would have told you you were crazy, I have zero interest in amusement parks as an investment. I also scooped up some BP & some XOM even though oil stocks are terrible investments right now. Bought some F below $7. These things have dividend yields now from 5% to 9% on a planet with negative interest rates in some places.

The airlines have also been crushed, the next distressed thing I may buy is JBLU. It's already been hammered down 36%, but most of their routes are domestic, so I think once it's obvious COVID19 is spreading throughout America (which should happen soon given thousands of coronavirus tests just went out the door) I think it's going to get hammered again due to its' reliance on U.S. routes. I'm pretty sure when this whole coronavirus blows over we're not going to go back to sailing ships & 3 week trips from New York to Miami.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Worldometers.

Solid.

I'll be sure to base my next vote for the presidency on the random numbers generated on that building across from union square.

Experience

WHO links to there. Same percentage.

You sure got belligerent that I didn’t answer your non-sequitur question but you don’t answer questions put to you nor stay on topic.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Why use a new app? Why not use a much more long established, reliable, trustworthy company like Charles Schwab or TD Ameritrade or ETrade etc.....

I’d recommend Schwab or TD Ameritrade only because I have experience with both.

I wouldn’t trust Robin Hood at this point. Some people lost a lot of money there that they wouldn’t have lost at more established places.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
3,400 deaths divided by 99,624 cases is 3.4%.

Where are you getting your numbers? How did you come up with more than 3.4%?
It's a minimal fraction, but it's still a few people. That I guess don't matter.

My dude, just come out and say it. You're in finance, and this is affecting your bottom line.

Hence the vehement opposition to what the rest of the world is saying.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It's a minimal fraction, but it's still a few people. That I guess don't matter.

My dude, just come out and say it. You're in finance, and this is affecting your bottom line.

Hence the vehement opposition to what the rest of the world is saying.

so your big difference is I rounded 3.41% to 3.4%? Then tried to imply that means I don’t care about people dying?

How many decimal places should I go to avoid cutting anyone out? What a joke of a complaint.

The latest coronavirus death rate is 3.4% — higher than earlier figures. Older patients face the highest risk.

“The death rate is likely to change further as more cases are confirmed, though experts predict that the percentage of deaths will decrease in the longer term since milder cases of COVID-19 are probably going undiagnosed.

"There's another whole cohort that is either asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic," Anthony Fauci, the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said at a briefing last month. "We're going to see a diminution in the overall death rate."”

I guess the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases is also crazy for thinking the current mortality rate number is higher than what the final number will be.

————

You obviously can’t have a serious discussion on this. I’ve only argued that you’re wrong about mortality rates but you want to make incorrect assumptions about my job, argue about how many decimal points should be used, and avoid direct questions.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
so your big difference is I rounded 3.41% to 3.4%? Then tried to imply that means I don’t care about people dying?

How many decimal places should I go to avoid cutting anyone out? What a joke of a complaint.

The latest coronavirus death rate is 3.4% — higher than earlier figures. Older patients face the highest risk.

“The death rate is likely to change further as more cases are confirmed, though experts predict that the percentage of deaths will decrease in the longer term since milder cases of COVID-19 are probably going undiagnosed.

"There's another whole cohort that is either asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic," Anthony Fauci, the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said at a briefing last month. "We're going to see a diminution in the overall death rate."”

I guess the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases is also crazy for thinking the current mortality rate number is higher than what the final number will be.

————

You obviously can’t have a serious discussion on this. I’ve only argued that you’re wrong about mortality rates but you want to make incorrect assumptions about my job, argue about how many decimal points should be used, and avoid direct questions.
You stepped in to this thread and attempted to minimize the severity of the issue.

I have avoided no questions and am not wrong in regards to mortality rates being exponentially higher than the flu. Which was afterall my initial point. Feel free to scroll up.

Not in finance? Weird, but cool.

If you want to continue banging on about how this is nothing, there's not much I can do about that.

Rock out with your unwashed hands out brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad