The Players' Tribune: "The Things You Can't See" — Colin Wilson shares his struggles with OCD

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I have OCD and hate how everyone assumes it's just being a neat freak/perfectionist.

For me, it's more about compulsions/superstition/rituals. It's about having to go through your entire house and shut every door and turn off every light in a certain order so something bad doesn't happen to you and your family. It's about having to repeat the same action 12 times so it feels "right" so my family won't die.

It's like wearing the world's itchiest sweater and never being able to take it off. It's horrible and burdensome, but to most people, you appear to be a normal person with no issues. You struggle to disguise your compliance with OCD's demands as normal behaviour. Eventually, people pick up on your odd behaviour. You feel like something is wrong with you-- like you’re “crazy.” You know that the way you are acting is irrational, and the scenarios in your head are completely unrealistic, but you still cannot break out of it. It’s hard for me to socialize (IRL), as I feel people will simply judge/dismiss me for the nonsensical things my disorder makes me do.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I hope for the best Colin. Hockey is not as important as your mental health. I am happy that more and more people are opening up and telling people about their struggles. I have my own and some days are hard. Real hard. Having that support system is very important to me.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I have OCD and hate how everyone assumes it's just being a neat freak/perfectionist.

For me, it's more about compulsions/superstition/rituals. It's about having to go through your entire house and shut every door and turn off every light in a certain order so something bad doesn't happen to you and your family. It's about having to repeat the same action 12 times so it feels "right" so my family won't die.

It's like wearing the world's itchiest sweater and never being able to take it off. It's horrible and burdensome, but to most people, you appear to be a normal person with no issues. You struggle to disguise your compliance with OCD's demands as normal behaviour. Eventually, people pick up on your odd behaviour. You feel like something is wrong with you-- like you’re “crazy.” You know that the way you are acting is irrational, and the scenarios in your head are completely unrealistic, but you still cannot break out of it. It’s hard for me to socialize (IRL), as I feel people will simply judge/dismiss me for the nonsensical things my disorder makes me do.

thanks for sharing. I hope the best for you

Reactions: Stive Morgan

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
What garbage is this?

You have no idea who did or didn't try to help. You can't claim that just because he didn't explicitly mention teammates saying anything means none ever did. That's such a bad conclusion to jump to.

And you're even going as far as making a baseless claim that some made it worse? That's borderline slander.

This is some dangerous stuff here. You should get out of here with comments like this.

You really need to lighten up and allow some levity

SlowShot

Aug 19, 2007
I agree that SNRI's can help tremendously at first. They helped me big time when my OCD was at its worst. I eventually stopped after years of SNRI use because my heart was always racing, I was constantly sweating, suffered short term memory loss, and had the feeling of always being in a dream state.

Maybe I will have to try out another SNRI. There appears to be a plethora out there. I only tried a few and settled on Effexor since it worked great for my OCD, but ended up stopping since it was harming my body.

Fraction Jackson

Mar 1, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

I have never talked to a professional about this, but what you mentioned about the doors and the lights resonated with me, because I have a similar thing about the locks - front and back door locked at night, have to keep checking them and checking them, have to triple-check the door when I leave the house to make sure I REALLY locked it, I've had times when I've gotten in the car and then had to get out and check again because when I turned the doorknob it didn't feel quite right and my brain didn't register it as okay...specific places I have to put important things like wallet/keys, checking to make sure they're there and being unable to move on to other things sometimes if I don't check and count them right.

Wilson's article and your comment made me realize I probably really do need to reach out to someone.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I have never talked to a professional about this, but what you mentioned about the doors and the lights resonated with me, because I have a similar thing about the locks - front and back door locked at night, have to keep checking them and checking them, have to triple-check the door when I leave the house to make sure I REALLY locked it, I've had times when I've gotten in the car and then had to get out and check again because when I turned the doorknob it didn't feel quite right and my brain didn't register it as okay...specific places I have to put important things like wallet/keys, checking to make sure they're there and being unable to move on to other things sometimes if I don't check and count them right.

Wilson's article and your comment made me realize I probably really do need to reach out to someone.
The keys and wallet thing is totally normal bro. Don't worry about it. We all do it.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
There are different levels of OCD from mild to debilitating, same as anxiety, depression, ADHD, and other mental health issues. We are just more aware of it and classify it better now. A previous poster said it best that a treatment might not help everyone, but everyone can be helped. Just knowing your not losing your mind and other people have same issues helped me alot. The more awareness the better.

Fraction Jackson

Mar 1, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The keys and wallet thing is totally normal bro. Don't worry about it. We all do it.

I didn't want to go too much into detail. But I have to lay everything out a certain way, continually recheck them - especially before bed, I have to go through the order a few times. And I literally cannot move on with my routine before bed until I'm satisfied everything is where it is supposed to be, and if I then get back up I have to start over...

I think the thing that clicked with me here is not so much just having a routine but the portion about feeling physically unable to move on to the next thing until you've satisfied one part of it.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I have never been diagnosed with OCD, but I have had obsessive issues in the past. I can manage well for months on end, but then something will flip a switch and I can go months before recovering.

I never had crazy issues growing up, or at least nothing more than anxiety. My OCD has always been health/medical related.

I believe I had two moments that started this. The first was the diagnosis and passing of my Step Father from cancer. He was diagnosed in March and passed away that August. About a year after that, I was at a party and was aggressively coughing from being sick and I ended up straining/doing something that led to me spitting pure blood. I went to the hospital and there was no real damage.

After this, I had a lot of chest pain. I lived probably the majority of my final year of university in panic not knowing what was happening. I have a generic high blood pressure and high cholesterol... so while I have always been relatively fit and active, I have these underlying conditions that could impact my life down the road. I could not stop monitoring my heart and basically put myself in a horrible cycle. When you are in fight or flight, of course your heart will be racing right? Well my OCD kept causing my to be in this cyclical cycle and I could not shake it because I was convinced something was wrong. I went through a ton of tests for my lungs and heart and ultimately after doing the best of the best tests, everything came back fine. I was still having pain and it was a constant mental battle.

I ultimately learned that I had acid reflux that had gotten so out of hand that I was dealing with significant pain from it. Once I learned and managed to control this, the pain was gone and I was able to return to a normal lifestyle. I was able to move on from all of the heart concerns and instantly I found my heart rate decreased and life was good again.

I went through a relatively good period of time from that incident (2017-2018) to the beginning of 2020. I don’t quite know what caused it but I got caught in another bad cycle. I believe I had overdone myself on caffeine, stress and alcohol. One day, I woke up and all I could feel was my heart skipping beats. Like constantly multiple times a day. Like legit skipping beats. I could monitor my pulse and feel it in my chest every single time this happened. Then covid hit which also elevated my stress levels. Fortunately, I was able to undergo tests and after 4 months my doctor had reached out to me with results. There was absolutely nothing wrong and my heart reading was completely normal. No concerns and there was no irregular activities. That day, after 4 months of these issues was the last day I felt a skipped beat. It is quite amazing to me. Your head can play these insane tricks on you. I was obsessed with this issue but the second I was told I was fine and the results were clean, I was fine. 4 months of constant obsession and all it took was a 5 minute phone call to end that.

I’ve learned that a lot of my fears are in my head. I’ve learned how powerful my anxiety can control me. I’m not perfect with this, but I have grown from it and with it. I am better at identifying when I am about to enter a slump and I can often catch myself now. I have never taken medication for my mental health issues, but I know what I can do with my lifestyle to treat my body properly. I have always found that talking to others and sharing my story brings me peace at bad times. For me, exercise, eating well and limited caffeine and alcohol leads to my happiest times. My worst times are when I get away from this.

I don’t come across as someone who has mental health problems. I am proud of what I have done with my life and believe that I am successful. I am always joking around and really do come across as “calm under pressure”.

I am an example of you never know what someone is going through. I try to share my story and time mental health is brought up... I know how important it is to hear someone else is going through something similar to you. I’m not embarrassed by my mental health, it just is who I am.

I’d like to thank the other posters in the thread. I’ve had a rough few days and I believe I was coming out of it. This thread and my post might have been the extra push I need to get out of this funk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad