Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Who cares.

This is the performance he got from them. And those were the players. What are you even arguing? Did Mike Gillis make them good at hockey now?

Revisionism? I stated facts. All those key players were 27-21. Most of them would be expected to improve gel and mature.

Once again.....he had his shot and left it after 6 yrs............a mess window closed
Who cares? You're waxing on about what they inherited and how he inherited MVP's, not 75 point 1st liner and 30 point 3rd liners.

Hindsight people are treating the 2011 team like it was inevitable, it was not. It was carefully managed and peaked one win short.

The "mess" he left behind is also incredibly overstated. Largely the same group, produced a 100+ point season the season after his dismissal. It wasn't until Benning really started putting his stamps on the team to improve it for the post season (Sutter, Sbisa/Dorsett extensions, Gudbranson, Sutter, Prust Eriksson) that they bottomed out and have been at the bottom 4 straight seasons.

People treat them being at the bottom for 4 straight seasons like it was a foregone conclusion...it wasn't. I actually remember people being against the moves because they were scared the team would never bottom out....boy were we wrong, Benning's moves are the reason for where they are.

Bad plan and horrible execution, but I'm sure you loved Linden Vey.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Who cares? You're waxing on about what they inherited and how he inherited MVP's, not 75 point 1st liner and 30 point 3rd liners.

Hindsight people are treating the 2011 team like it was inevitable, it was not. It was carefully managed and peaked one win short.

The "mess" he left behind is also incredibly overstated. Largely the same group, produced a 100+ point season the season after his dismissal. It wasn't until Benning really started putting his stamps on the team to improve it for the post season (Sutter, Sbisa/Dorsett extensions, Gudbranson, Sutter, Prust Eriksson) that they bottomed out and have been at the bottom 4 straight seasons.

People treat them being at the bottom for 4 straight seasons like it was a foregone conclusion...it wasn't. I actually remember people being against the moves because they were scared the team would never bottom out....boy were we wrong, Benning's moves are the reason for where they are.

Bad plan and horrible execution, but I'm sure you loved Linden Vey.
i'm not sure why you keep bringing up Benning?

Mike Gillis had a top10 NHL core handed to him as they were approaching prime ages. He did a masterful job taking that core to the best team in the NHL by 2011/2012.

By 2014 they had fired 2 really good NHL coaches. Pissed away Ehrhoff, embarrassed and traded 2 world class goalies, Samuelsson Raymond Ehrhoff Luongo Schneider Malhotra Torres gone, refused to aquire a legit top6 talent with assets like Hodgson and Schneider available to trade and Ryan Kesler wanted out. Not only that the media relations with Gillis were soured and his fans were chanting for his head.

To be clear... (because i keep getting but Benning rebuttals) I would have preferred Gillis and his staff rebuilding the Canucks then hiring Benning. That said...Gillis was absolutely liable and worthy of firing and he got axed and i dont blame Aquilini one bit other than feeling bad about what would come and his trust in Trevor who had no experience and could not be more removed from the game doing other things. He was not qualified to hire a GM and set the direction of the franchise.

But this narrative of Aquilini being a idiot or bad owner because he wanted to win and wont re hire the HF love child Gillis is brutal

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i'm not sure why you keep bringing up Benning?

Mike Gillis had a top10 NHL core handed to him as they were approaching prime ages. He did a masterful job taking that core to the best team in the NHL by 2011/2012.

By 2014 they had fired 2 really good NHL coaches. Pissed away Ehrhoff, embarrassed and traded 2 world class goalies, Samuelsson Raymond Ehrhoff Luongo Schneider Malhotra Torres gone, refused to aquire a legit top6 talent with assets like Hodgson and Schneider available to trade and Ryan Kesler wanted out. Not only that the media relations with Gillis were soured and his fans were chanting for his head.

To be clear... (because i keep getting but Benning rebuttals) I would have preferred Gillis and his staff rebuilding the Canucks then hiring Benning. That said...Gillis was absolutely liable and worthy of firing and he got axed and i dont blame Aquilini one bit other than feeling bad about what would come and his trust in Trevor who had no experience and could not be more removed from the game doing other things. He was not qualified to hire a GM and set the direction of the franchise.

But this narrative of Aquilini being a idiot or bad owner because he wanted to win and wont re hire the HF love child Gillis is brutal
You're not sure why Benning is brought up when you're talking about what Gillis left the team with? Then you're just obtuse.

A top 10 core that missed the playoffs 2 of the 3 previous seasons?

Gillis fired one coach, not 2.
Ehrhoff's game fell off a cliff, and the Canucks PP didn't. Walking from Ehrhoff was the right call.
Traded 2 goalies, and the return are two of the top 6 players currently on the team.
Ryan Kesler wanting out...it happens, he was tradeable and the next GM made it happen. Oh well.
Fans are idiots, the really dumb ones were the chanters.
Media relations is literally the least important part of the job, but at least he came across as intelligent.

Mike Gillis IMO was not worthy of firing and the Canucks would be further along with him if Aquilini didn't start meddling.

People around here are excited with the capspace the organization has this summer....they had as much if not more in 2014.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You're not sure why Benning is brought up when you're talking about what Gillis left the team with? Then you're just obtuse.

A top 10 core that missed the playoffs 2 of the 3 previous seasons?

Gillis fired one coach, not 2.
Ehrhoff's game fell off a cliff, and the Canucks PP didn't. Walking from Ehrhoff was the right call.
Traded 2 goalies, and the return are two of the top 6 players currently on the team.
Ryan Kesler wanting out...it happens, he was tradeable and the next GM made it happen. Oh well.
Fans are idiots, the really dumb ones were the chanters.
Media relations is literally the least important part of the job, but at least he came across as intelligent.

Mike Gillis IMO was not worthy of firing and the Canucks would be further along with him if Aquilini didn't start meddling.

People around here are excited with the capspace the organization has this summer....they had as much if not more in 2014.
Obtuse?

What Gillis had left by 2014 was a factual situation. 6th last in the NHL and the details i have already outlined. Ok right he didnt get to fire Tortz....Not gonna go over it again. How you and i view it is opposed

Trying to discuss Aquilini and Gillis and getting a "but Benning" response is completely unwarranted. Especially considering how worked up people get when this happens in reverse.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Obtuse?

What Gillis had left by 2014 was a factual situation. 6th last in the NHL and the details i have already outlined. Ok right he didnt get to fire Tortz....Not gonna go over it again. How you and i view it is opposed

Trying to discuss Aquilini and Gillis and getting a "but Benning" response is completely unwarranted. Especially considering how worked up people get when this happens in reverse.
This whole conversation started by me asking what you expected of the 75 point 1st liners and 30 point 3rd liners he inherited. Benning gets brought up because you talk about a "mess", when every season in the last 4, the team has failed to even reach the 83 point mess (that season they were actually a top 10 team until new years when they got incredibly injured and the wheels fell off).

Your "details" aren't facts, they're just your opinion.

There also isn't a "but benning" in these posts...I'm arguing against your opinion on the "mess" he left Benning. So yes, I'd say if you can't comprehend that you're obtuse.

Reactions: HSD19

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I love how people complain about Gillis leaving the team with long term contracts and letting Ehrhoff walk. Ehrhoff will be getting paid until 2028. Letting him walk if he wanted a 10 year contract was the right move.
It's not complaining. I agree that teams have to make fiscal decisions and sometimes those are tough.

At the end of the day if you let players walk and have nothing good to replace them with then that effects your teams performance negatively. Ehrhoff was just one piece but he was a valuable commodity that had an big impact on the canucks ability to attack from the back end with speed. 50pt defenseman are huge assets. His loss and the cumulative effects of other losses and inability to have push from kids had a profound effect on this team which has a profound effect on how Coaching and management staffs are judged and viewed. It's really that simple.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This whole conversation started by me asking what you expected of the 75 point 1st liners and 30 point 3rd liners he inherited. Benning gets brought up because you talk about a "mess", when every season in the last 4, the team has failed to even reach the 83 point mess (that season they were actually a top 10 team until new years when they got incredibly injured and the wheels fell off).

Your "details" aren't facts, they're just your opinion.

There also isn't a "but benning" in these posts...I'm arguing against your opinion on the "mess" he left Benning. So yes, I'd say if you can't comprehend that you're obtuse.
Having the best team in hockey and a few years later having Eddie Lack as your starter. Kesler wanting out. No good prospects 23-18 (that dont need rehab) having an impact, a coach that needed to be fired and poor media and fan relations and a 6th last finish is a mess.

Not seeing that as anything but a mess is "obtuse"

Obviously you feel it wasnt bad but it was a mess that needed to be cleaned up. Aquilini didnt like it and didnt fabricate his firing for no reason.

I never said that Benning didnt have pieces to retool or rebuild with.....that was completely your assertion

What of this is opinion you have issues with then?? "Mike Gillis had a top10 NHL core handed to him as they were approaching prime ages. He did a masterful job taking that core to the best team in the NHL by 2011/2012.

By 2014 they had fired 2 really good NHL coaches. Pissed away Ehrhoff, embarrassed and traded 2 world class goalies, Samuelsson Raymond Ehrhoff Luongo Schneider Malhotra Torres gone, refused to aquire a legit top6 talent with assets like Hodgson and Schneider available to trade and Ryan Kesler wanted out. Not only that the media relations with Gillis were soured and his fans were chanting for his head. "

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Having the best team in hockey and a few years later having Eddie Lack as your starter. Kesler wanting out. No good prospects 23-18 (that dont need rehab) having an impact, a coach that needed to be fired and poor media and fan relations and a 6th last finish is a mess.

Not seeing that as anything but a mess is "obtuse"

Obviously you feel it wasnt bad but it was a mess that needed to be cleaned up. Aquilini didnt like it and didnt fabricate his firing for no reason.

I never said that Benning didnt have pieces to retool or rebuild with.....that was completely your assertion

What of this is opinion you have issues with then?? "Mike Gillis had a top10 NHL core handed to him as they were approaching prime ages. He did a masterful job taking that core to the best team in the NHL by 2011/2012.

By 2014 they had fired 2 really good NHL coaches. Pissed away Ehrhoff, embarrassed and traded 2 world class goalies, Samuelsson Raymond Ehrhoff Luongo Schneider Malhotra Torres gone, refused to aquire a legit top6 talent with assets like Hodgson and Schneider available to trade and Ryan Kesler wanted out. Not only that the media relations with Gillis were soured and his fans were chanting for his head. "
Uh it's pretty damn obvious.

The top 10 core....top 10 cores don't miss playoffs 2 of 3 seasons preceding it.

"pissed away Ehrhoff"....he actually got an asset for his rights and Ehrhoff was quite clearly a product of the team Gillis built not vice versa, since he never got close to that level again and the team won the presidents trophy the following year without him.

How did Gillis specifically embarass the goalies?

Are we honestly crying over the spilled milk of Raymond and Samuelsson now?

He refused to acquire a legit top 6 talent for Hodgson and Schneider? What did he refuse?

The team Benning inherited from Gillis....the so called "mess" bounced back the following year.

When was Eddie Lack ever the defacto starter in Vancouver? Right, he never was.

The man was fired before we were able to see what his next vision was, absolutely insane that the man who ran the most successful era in franchise history that basically had a rough 1/3 of a season. The man left the organization with a top 4 defense. 2/3 of a 1st line. $20m in cap space and lots of flexibility.

I'm disputing how much of a "mess" it actually was....I don't think it was that much of a mess.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Bottom line, Gillis was only allowed the 'luxury' of one 'bad season' before he was canned.....Jimbo has had five consecutive ''bad seasons' yet seems entrenched.

Would things have been any worse if Aquilini had stuck with Gillis? How could they be?. The Canucks have had the worst winning percentage of any team in the NHL over the past four seasons, so it's hard to imagine things could have been any worse.

member 290103

Ugh, Benning vs Gillis, so boring. Anyone with half a brain and no ulterior trolling motive knows the truth. Enough. Ignore the baiting.

Gillis is out of the running. Who’s the next best candidate? Let’s re-rail this thread.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
It was simply fate that Gillis's team started off ok and over a few years developed into the best team in the league. Just fate, luck, coincidence. And also fate that Benning's team became the single worst team in the NHL over his time here. Mere fate. It's not like the GM had any effect on anything.

Reactions: Jyrki21

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't understand the need to take strong positions here. There are very few situations where a GM doesn't inherit a something. You think the WCE era would have happened without Pat Quinn and Mike Keenan? We wouldn't have had Luongo and Schneider without Nonis. Likewise, the Canucks wouldn't have made it to the Cup finals without Gillis having made the moves that he made. And I said at the time of Benning's hiring that if the Canucks draft well under him it would be good for the team long term.

Gillis didn't draft well and at the end had to "reset" the franchise. The cupboards were bare. It also doesn't mean that the team was in such a mess that it couldn't be turned around. The team could have went the accumulate draft picks route and things may be different if the team hit on their draft picks. On the other hand, the core may not be better than what we have now.

I do find it funny that Benning gets criticized for talking about alignment when firing the AGMs he inherited, yet the same people aren't criticizing Gillis for his alignment talk. In reality, Aquilini could go the traditional route and hire a President who simply handles the corporate end of things. It's probably not a good idea to hire a President of Hockey Operations who is going to have a role in roster building and force him to keep Benning on as GM.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The replies to that tweet reinforce my dislike for this fanbase.

Just a reminder that some people on here have tried to argue, essentially, that the owner must be intelligent for having been born into a family with real estate holdings in BC.

Just a reminder that some people on here have tried to argue, essentially, that he isn't good at his (non-Canuck) job because he was born into a family with money.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Just a reminder that some people on here have tried to argue, essentially, that he isn't good at his (non-Canuck) job because he was born into a family with money.

There isn’t any proof for us to say one way or the other that he is good or not good in his non canucks job.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I think the plan is simpley. if the Canucks make the playoffs next year. Jim Benning gets his 3rd year option renewed. if not

Weisbroud becomes president of Hockey Operations and Ryan Johnson GM. Weisbroud has the experience. and is best friends with Quinn Hughes Dad

Reactions: DonnyNucker

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I think the plan is simpley. if the Canucks make the playoffs next year. Jim Benning gets his 3rd year option renewed. if not

Weisbroud becomes president of Hockey Operations and Ryan Johnson GM. Weisbroud has the experience. and is best friends with Quinn Hughes Dad

This would be the absolute darkest timeline.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Good Lord. What the hell is this? Burn it with fire. I need a dislike button.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

I'll be pissed if he hires another president based off nepotism( especially if it's weisbrod). Ryan Johnson can't even properly manage Utica. If Aqua does this he will guarantee the primes of our core is wasted.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Other than when people are idly speculating (which I don't object to at all), has Mark Hunter's name come up? Are there indications that he's actively trying to get back into the NHL?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Other than when people are idly speculating (which I don't object to at all), has Mark Hunter's name come up? Are there indications that he's actively trying to get back into the NHL?

I haven't heard his name mentioned anywhere.

Reactions: lindgren

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Has there actually been a report that the Canucks are looking for a President of Hockey Operations or has all this just been wild speculation and hoping?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Aquilini has taken to Twitter claiming he's never talked to either Gillis or Lombardi about coming to the Canucks as President, and has no intention of doing so.

So looking less likely they'll have anyone in place prior to the draft....just maybe they have no intention of ever hiring anyone as a replacement for Linden.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
My best guess is that there will be no additions to the front office. Benning will be given the year, the team won't make the playoffs, and he'll be fired a year from now.

I wonder what restraints, if any, ownership might place on Benning going into the free agency.

Reactions: Hit the post
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad