Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Aquilini has taken to Twitter claiming he's never talked to either Gillis or Lombardi about coming to the Canucks as President, and has no intention of doing so.

So looking less likely they'll have anyone in place prior to the draft....just maybe they have no intention of ever hiring anyone as a replacement for Linden.

Whoever they do end up hiring, if they even fill the position, is going to be a no-name person. Nobody fully qualified and with experience is going to be interested in being a puppet for owners like ours. Some of the names being mentioned in this thread are pipe dreams at best.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
My best guess is that there will be no additions to the front office. Benning will be given the year, the team won't make the playoffs, and he'll be fired a year from now.

I wonder what restraints, if any, ownership might place on Benning going into the free agency.
Less of a chance if a bright new shiny toy blinding Arthur Curry. Hughes maybe, but it'll be hard for a D to make an immediate impact like that. (Easier for a forward like EP or Border; though EP was especially remarkable in that he did it as a center).

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Aquilini has taken to Twitter claiming he's never talked to either Gillis or Lombardi about coming to the Canucks as President, and has no intention of doing so.

So looking less likely they'll have anyone in place prior to the draft....just maybe they have no intention of ever hiring anyone as a replacement for Linden.

What I find interesting is that, while he's shot down two specific rumours, he hasn't shot down the general idea of him looking for a president more generally. That's the hope I cling to.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What I find interesting is that, while he's shot down two specific rumours, he hasn't shot down the general idea of him looking for a president more generally. That's the hope I cling to.
If they find someone good we all hope they hire that person. He’s just making it clear the people who are not candidates.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

He's also never addressed anything to do with Ken Holland. I would not be surprised if the rumors are true that ownership is "playing the long game" with their true target.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
My best guess is that there will be no additions to the front office. Benning will be given the year, the team won't make the playoffs, and he'll be fired a year from now.

I wonder what restraints, if any, ownership might place on Benning going into the free agency.
This seems like the most realistic scenario as well....if the Canucks fall flat next year, Benning is shown the door and Green's return as coach would be less than 50/50. Then the new guy comes in with the housecleaning already done.

But you raise the biggest current conundrum with the Canucks.....how much rope does Jimbo have to make big trades or splashy UFA signings? Only the Aquaman knows.

Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
This seems like the most realistic scenario as well....if the Canucks fall flat next year, Benning is shown the door and Green's return as coach would be less than 50/50. Then the new guy comes in with the housecleaning already done.

But you raise the biggest current conundrum with the Canucks.....how much rope does Jimbo have to make big trades or splashy UFA signings? Only the Aquaman knows.

Imagine a future world in which it's early May, and instead of speculating about who might be the management group in a year, we're discussing how the Canucks are doing in the second round.

(There are many versions out there, but Goulet was a good Canadian kid ...)

member 290103

Be nice for Frank to tell us all what the f*** he is doing, not just what he isn’t doing.

What’s the plan, Frank???? Nothing? Status quo with the clown show for another year? Right-o.

member 290103

Not really a huge fan of Holland, but he's more equipped than Jim Benning. I'd be on board for a change like that, but even then....who is the President? The organization is so f***ed up right now. It has no direction. What kind of a legit corporation runs their business with no President? It's beyond bizarre.

Jim must be loving it though. No one to answer to, and no voices of reason to dispute anything he proposes. If we look back at the things he has tried to make happen that have not happened, I'd be scared about what might happen this Summer. Look what Dim gave up for Erik Gudbranson? If Nashville actually proposes to trade Subban, they can basically ask for anything from Vancouver, save Horvat, EP40, Boeser and Hughes and get it. The package going the other way could be crippling to this team - especially if Subban continues to decline at the same rate he did this year.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
As long as they don't bring back Gillis it will probably be okay. Gillis was good in the short term but almost every player drafted under his regime was a bust. Only one of the 1st. rounders drafted by him now plays in the NHL.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

"The Oilers and Holland have conducted extensive negotiations, with sources telling Sportsnet that the important issue of complete autonomy to hire and fire at will has been granted by Edmonton."

If Holland accepts the job over the weekend, it is believed the Oilers are ready to hold a press conference early next week to announce his hiring.

Reactions: lindgren

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
As long as they don't bring back Gillis it will probably be okay. Gillis was good in the short term but almost every player drafted under his regime was a bust. Only one of the 1st. rounders drafted by him now plays in the NHL.

Boston's drafting while Benning was in that organization was equally as abysmal.

I would be thrilled to have Gillis back as PoHO, based on the plan he outlined on 1040.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yep. I have no issues with Gillis. I doubt we see him though. It'll be another puppet for the owners to pull on.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Ken Holland likely gone to Edmonton, I wonder if that changes Aquilini's tune on Gillis.

member 290103

Gillis is not coming back. Wish he was but it’s not happening. Benning sucks. Wish he didn’t, but he does.

Holland is all but gone to Edmonton. Lombardi doesn’t want the job.

I think it’s time to accept all the above, stop with the derailing of the threads with a Benning vs Gillis debate, and discuss real possibilities...the most likely being the clown show continues as is for yet another year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vanuck

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Longshot hope is that the guy who was smart enough to go outside the box once with Gillis after the Nonis days, instead of the easy choice in Tambellini, is at least willing to talk to someone like Eric Tulsky. It's not going to happen, but man. The Canes success has gotta make people think at least.

The more obvious choice however, is Ron Francis, who I've been on board with for a while. He's the one who really spearheaded everything with that team. He'd be a great team President.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Does anyone know anything about who's giving Aquilini advice at this point?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Does anyone know anything about who's giving Aquilini advice at this point?

potato.png

Reactions: Jyrki21 and vanuck

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Other than continuing the clown show I’m not sure there are any realistic options. Who is even out there?

Ralph Krueger isn’t leaving the EPL to work for Aquillini. Maybe Francis? We’re running out of options and I’m not sure we can trust Aquillini to hire anyone good outside of current ex-GMs. I don’t trust him with another rookie manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad