dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Yeah doesn't seem like a realistic possibility that Gillis is re-hired, but I'd welcome it.
I think either one of Aquilini and/or Gillis has too big of an ego to go back again. I also think Gillis' model is based more on patience and development, and Aqua might still low-key want a quick turnaround for playoffs.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I would laugh so long and loud if Aquaman rehired Gillis. I'd even unignore RMB and the rest of astroturf brigade just to see their reactions. It'd be priceless.

Oh, and it would also be a huge upgrade in management.
Seeing the 'But Gillis' posters scrambling would definitely be priceless. There are a few that I would be surprised if they showed their faces in here again if it happened.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Pass on Gillis.

I'd rather not have a prospect pool full of jordan Schroeder, Alexander mallet , adam polasek, joe labate, Ludwig blomstrand, alex friesen and yann sauve

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
Hearing how Gillis worked so hard with all aspects of player development even to the point of trying to customize an airplane haul with oxygen tanks for player recovery and rest made me an even bigger fan. In the salary cap era, spending to the cap and rating everyone's value accordingly is a big piece. There are 31 teams all looking for undervalued contracts. Not everyone signed and drafted will be a home run.

The extra mile would be what you can spend around the cap, management, scouting, player development, rest and recovery. Increase the odds of a draft pick panning out. Decrease the odds that a player will be out for a significant amount of time due to fatigue. Decrease the odds of getting into cap hell with bad contracts.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Hearing how Gillis worked so hard with all aspects of player development even to the point of trying to customize an airplane haul with oxygen tanks for player recovery and rest made me an even bigger fan. In the salary cap era, spending to the cap and rating everyone's value accordingly is a big piece. There are 31 teams all looking for undervalued contracts. Not everyone signed and drafted will be a home run.

The extra mile would be what you can spend around the cap, management, scouting, player development, rest and recovery. Increase the odds of a draft pick panning out. Decrease the odds that a player will be out for a significant amount of time due to fatigue. Decrease the odds of getting into cap hell with bad contracts.
Wonder how that all would mesh with the current GM who thinks that analytics and stats are "like vitamins".

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Pass on Gillis.

I'd rather not have a prospect pool full of jordan Schroeder, Alexander mallet , adam polasek, joe labate, Ludwig blomstrand, alex friesen and yann sauve

Post is bait, but I can't resist

I'd rather continuously miss the playoffs, but not pick high. I'd rather have no extra draft picks in rebuilding years. I'd rather have my Canada day ruined every year with a stupid veteran signings. I'd rather have us continue to bleed assets for trash. I'd rather have us continue to play trash like Granlund, Beagle, Megna, Poo, Guds, Larsen, Motte, MDZ, Leipsic, Sutter, Neilson etc. then have smart 1 year veteran signings. I'd rather have a FO that has messed up 50% of their top ten picks, yet still get proclaimed to be draft gurus. I'd rather have our AHL team be treated like a circus instead of a place to build depth and develop players. I'd rather have every trade deadline be botched . I'd rather have our FO be in communication with the NHL for basic cap rules. I'd rather have a GM that is not able to articulate a few sentences together, who's go to phrases on most of his players are "rip the puck", "walk the blueline ", and "a player you can win with".

Gillis is too stubborn and arrogant to make brilliant moves such as these, would not hire 0/10

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Pass on Gillis.

Yeah, it's so much better with Olli Juolevi, Virtanen, Gadjovic, Lind, Zhukenov, Jasek, Carl Neill...Rodrigo Albols...Mack Stewart...but we actually might have a good team on the ice, though. Don't know if you were aware of this, but the Canucks were actually a good team when Gillis was here.

*edit* Yeah, DownGoesMcdavid went dead the day this account took off, right? Shocker.

Reactions: Peter10

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
5 years too late to make Gillis President... but, money talks, and if there are only a couple options near the West Coast Gillis would be most interested in... and if Seattle / Edmonton go with someone else, maybe possible. I'm sure Gillis feels like unfinished business here. Gillis would need Aquilini to agree to stay out of the day-to-day... And Aquilini would need to swallow some ego. However, it could be sold to the marketplace that Gillis needed time away, and Gillis has spent 5 years in Tibet reflecting, learning, and growing. Unlikely everything falls into place for it to be, but I'd love it to happen.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Pass on Gillis.

He hired Brackett. So yeah, screw Boeser, Hughes, Gaudette, Madden, Rathbone, Lockwood, etc. He was also way better with free agency signings (Hamhuis, Tanev, Malhotra, Sundin, Demitra, Samuelsson, Torres, Lack...and even minor moves like Weise, Bitz, Santorelli, Richardson, Weber, Johnson, Wellwood, etc. were defensible) and contract extensions (Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Salo, Edler, Hansen, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad