The team has options with Gusev, none of which should be selling low

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This may be a weird thread but I think our cap situation is not all that bad, or at least not bad enough to trade Gusev unless someone is willing to trade a 1st round asset for him. If we can trade him for a defenseman on an ELC who is a top pairing prospect, then fine we got fair value. Something less means we wasted a prime asset.

Currently, we have enough cap space to sign Schuldt to 925k and Engelland to 850k with Clarkson on LTIR by trading Holden. Trading him would not cost more than a 5th and Leschyshyn or something to trade him.

Then, in order to sign Gusev, we would have many options. Trading Eakin for a 5th or something, trading Reaves for a 7th or something, or keeping both and going a more circuitous route.

We could trade Carrier for a 5th or something, use that 5th and the Penguins 2nd to trade Reaves to a team (for a low level prospect) they buy him out (925k on their cap for two seasons) we re-sign him for 925k and thus both are kept and we have enough money to sign our players.

The bottom six in that scenario would possibly be something like this.

Gusev-Eakin-Tuch
Nosek-Roy-Reaves
Zykov, Pirri

Nosek is bigger than Carrier, and probably more talented, but I think he plays a less heavy game. He worked well on the fourth line with us, so that should be no problem. Roy, I am unfamiliar if he plays a heavy game and could do well on our team.

We would have at least six or seven picks in drafts and three picks in the first three rounds of those drafts in any of these trades they could use to keep Gusev, or if they trade him for help for our defense.

They could even trade Smith or someone for good value if the need arose, or make a smaller move and agree on a one year deal with Gusev and sign him to a deal later.

They have so many ways to resolve this, they should not be hampered in any negotiations regarding a trade and should value Gusev as a prospect that is ready to put 60-80 points for any team he plays for and could be an impact player this season and up to five seasons after that, on a not hampering two year deal. That is worth a high level prospect if Alex Nylander is worth it.

Long story short, if we get bad value in a Gusev trade then that absolutely looks bad on our management. They caused this cap crunch and yet it is not so bad that they have to make a bad deal and give a good player away for less than is good for the team value.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They can do 3m for Gusev still, just with moving Holden and going with a 22 man roster.

Worst case scenario you waive Nosek, but it's doable.

Reactions: derriko

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
This may be a weird thread but I think our cap situation is not all that bad, or at least not bad enough to trade Gusev unless someone is willing to trade a 1st round asset for him. If we can trade him for a defenseman on an ELC who is a top pairing prospect, then fine we got fair value. Something less means we wasted a prime asset.

Currently, we have enough cap space to sign Schuldt to 925k and Engelland to 850k with Clarkson on LTIR by trading Holden. Trading him would not cost more than a 5th and Leschyshyn or something to trade him.

Then, in order to sign Gusev, we would have many options. Trading Eakin for a 5th or something, trading Reaves for a 7th or something, or keeping both and going a more circuitous route.

We could trade Carrier for a 5th or something, use that 5th and the Penguins 2nd to trade Reaves to a team (for a low level prospect) they buy him out (925k on their cap for two seasons) we re-sign him for 925k and thus both are kept and we have enough money to sign our players.

The bottom six in that scenario would possibly be something like this.

Gusev-Eakin-Tuch
Nosek-Roy-Reaves
Zykov, Pirri

Nosek is bigger than Carrier, and probably more talented, but I think he plays a less heavy game. He worked well on the fourth line with us, so that should be no problem. Roy, I am unfamiliar if he plays a heavy game and could do well on our team.

We would have at least six or seven picks in drafts and three picks in the first three rounds of those drafts in any of these trades they could use to keep Gusev, or if they trade him for help for our defense.

They could even trade Smith or someone for good value if the need arose, or make a smaller move and agree on a one year deal with Gusev and sign him to a deal later.

They have so many ways to resolve this, they should not be hampered in any negotiations regarding a trade and should value Gusev as a prospect that is ready to put 60-80 points for any team he plays for and could be an impact player this season and up to five seasons after that, on a not hampering two year deal. That is worth a high level prospect if Alex Nylander is worth it.

Long story short, if we get bad value in a Gusev trade then that absolutely looks bad on our management. They caused this cap crunch and yet it is not so bad that they have to make a bad deal and give a good player away for less than is good for the team value.

I would hate to trade Carrier and see no need to. He is so cheap and so unique. His hands suck ass but he is the hardest hitter in the league and you are not going to find that combo of aggressiveness and super-sonic skating anywhere else.

The strongest part of your post I think is your mention of the Gusev-Eakin-Tuch line. That is not a 3rd line, folks. That’s a decent 2nd. How can the powers-that-be not see the power on being able to roll out 3 lines like this?

And in my opinion, Gusev moves up if they let him play on this team. He is more skilled than Marchessault. He just is.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Plus if I'm Bischoff or Schuldt I take a 1 year deal close to league minimum in order to improve my chances of playing in the NHL next season, due to how tight Vegas might be against the cap. They'll both be 25 on their next contract, plenty of time to make their money but only so many chances to make the roster.

Reactions: derriko

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I would hate to trade Carrier and see no need to. He is so cheap and so unique. His hands suck ass but he is the hardest hitter in the league and you are not going to find that combo of aggressiveness and super-sonic skating anywhere else.

The strongest part of your post I think is your mention of the Gusev-Eakin-Tuch line. That is not a 3rd line, folks. That’s a decent 2nd. How can the powers-that-be not see the power on being able to roll out 3 lines like this?

And in my opinion, Gusev moves up if they let him play on this team. He is more skilled than Marchessault. He just is.

I think the main point I tried to make is there are so many ways this team could keep Gusev that there should be no need to trade him unless a team offers us something of great value. If those offers aren't what they could be, sign him to a contract and make it work for us.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think the main point I tried to make is there are so many ways this team could keep Gusev that there should be no need to trade him unless a team offers us something of great value. If those offers aren't what they could be, sign him to a contract and make it work for us.

How can I keep thee, Goose? Let me count the ways...

Anyway I've resigned myself to expecting him to get dealt for a modest return, because that's just how McPhee sees it. Maybe McCrimmon will fight him on it, but we still don't know how he differs on his philosophy.

I fully expect this to blow up in McPhee's face, and that's not me being pessimistic.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
McGMs are aware of Gusev's potential. They'll figure out how to fit him in under the cap. Lots of time left to do this. I believe the trade rumors were just that and they are just playing the media game that GMs are supposed to play. It's quite possible that they will do the roster gymnastics that have been this organization's calling card in its two seasons. It's infuriating to watch unfold, but in the end, everyone will be happy with the results.
I do like that 3rd line of Gusev-Eakin-Tuch.....ooooh mama! I think that's a pipe dream, though.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
McGMs are aware of Gusev's potential. They'll figure out how to fit him in under the cap. Lots of time left to do this. I believe the trade rumors were just that and they are just playing the media game that GMs are supposed to play. It's quite possible that they will do the roster gymnastics that have been this organization's calling card in its two seasons. It's infuriating to watch unfold, but in the end, everyone will be happy with the results.
I do like that 3rd line of Gusev-Eakin-Tuch.....ooooh mama! I think that's a pipe dream, though.
Yeah, because line 3 will have Smith instead of Tuch! And Tuch will be on 2nd in place of Stone who'll be on 1st.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

Yeah I see a lot of assumptions re: what McPhee thinks or is seeing. But I seriously doubt he doesn't see Gusev's potential.

Money of course is a big topic of discussion but the question of whether this is going to work out also comes down to some of the other stuff like the locker room fit which includes things like behind the scenes conversations with Gusev and his reps about what line he'll play on, how much ice time he is guaranteed or if he's guaranteed any, whether they think he'll do the work to fit in with who the Knights are, etc., etc. That's really important, and short of knowing how those conversations go, we aren't in a position to act like we know what any of them are thinking. Hopefully he's not acting entitled with his line and ice time expectations, or balking at the concept of winning the top line jobs. But again that's the stuff we just don't get to see, and sometimes it's why things don't seem to make sense when we're lookin at them from the outside.

GM can't really pander to these guys the way fans want to see, either. It's a negotiation, and as you observed it can be infuriating to watch unfold. But at this point I'm not going to make assumptions that just because he's not signed and teams are calling that somehow the Knights' front office is clueless to what Gusev can bring.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah I see a lot of assumptions re: what McPhee thinks or is seeing. But I seriously doubt he doesn't see Gusev's potential.

Money of course is a big topic of discussion but the question of whether this is going to work out also comes down to some of the other stuff like the locker room fit which includes things like behind the scenes conversations with Gusev and his reps about what line he'll play on, how much ice time he is guaranteed or if he's guaranteed any, whether they think he'll do the work to fit in with who the Knights are, etc., etc. That's really important, and short of knowing how those conversations go, we aren't in a position to act like we know what any of them are thinking. Hopefully he's not acting entitled with his line and ice time expectations, or balking at the concept of winning the top line jobs. But again that's the stuff we just don't get to see, and sometimes it's why things don't seem to make sense when we're lookin at them from the outside.

GM can't really pander to these guys the way fans want to see, either. It's a negotiation, and as you observed it can be infuriating to watch unfold. But at this point I'm not going to make assumptions that just because he's not signed and teams are calling that somehow the Knights' front office is clueless to what Gusev can bring.

Gusev playing with the knights may be ideal but I think regardless of team fit I don't want to see the team trade him for something that isn't a good value.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I think Eakin would be semi easy to trade compared to scrubs like Reaves and Holden both of who would require sending back maybe a 2nd along and with the player and get back a 4th as well as freeing up valuable cap space, but Glass is no guarantee to be ready and it would hurt the PK even more.

If Eakin is the next and last player traded then he really needs to deliver to offset the losses of known quantities that made the team so thin at defense and offense.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
According to Friedman, Vegas tried for Ferland.

That would mean either they were looking for someone in the low 3 range to replace Gusev or they thought of trading Smith and using the savings to sign Gusev.

If they are willing to go low 3 and Gusev is at 4, I think they have to be very close to each other with some negotiation.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
According to Friedman, Vegas tried for Ferland.

That would mean either they were looking for someone in the low 3 range to replace Gusev or they thought of trading Smith and using the savings to sign Gusev.

If they are willing to go low 3 and Gusev is at 4, I think they have to be very close to each other with some negotiation.
Low 3 and 4 means pretty much the same for us when it comes to making moves to fit it in, so sounds weird.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Low 3 and 4 means pretty much the same for us when it comes to making moves to fit it in, so sounds weird.

They have a lot of options for what to do. I think they know they can fit Gusev on the team this season, so it is worrying to me that it isn't done yet but maybe they are taking time to find the best way to put him on the team.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't buy the Sportsnet guys and their 'speculation' They've been pulling stuff out of their bottoms while simultaneously blowing smoke up the arse of one Kyle Dubas every chance they get (remember Chris Johnston's prediction of Pacioretty/Stastny getting traded at the draft?). The only people I trust with VGK news are Lebrun, McKenzie, Granger and Schoen.

They probably kicked tires on Ferland at the deadline and during free agency but I doubt they had a good offer for him.

Plus if I'm Bischoff or Schuldt I take a 1 year deal close to league minimum in order to improve my chances of playing in the NHL next season, due to how tight Vegas might be against the cap. They'll both be 25 on their next contract, plenty of time to make their money but only so many chances to make the roster.

1 down, 1 to go.

Speaking of D prospects, Washington's RD NCAA prospect Chase Priskie (Diliberatore's Frozen 4 teammate and captain) is expected to become a UFA on Aug 15, same with Edmonton's goalie prospect (and Jack Dugan teammate) Hayden Hawkey. Perhaps Peter and Jack put in a good word with their teammates after dev camp...

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
They have a lot of options for what to do. I think they know they can fit Gusev on the team this season, so it is worrying to me that it isn't done yet but maybe they are taking time to find the best way to put him on the team.

They camt really do anything until Schuldt and Emgo are signed. If anything the delay is a sign of higher likelihood of getting Gusev signed. They need to know exactly what all other contracts are signed at and then work on what salary they can move. With Clarkson not being traded they have to get right up to the cap excluding Clarkson cap hit. Making a move now and then finding out Schuldt is 100k more than they have would be a disaster.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Would it be worth it to give up a 7th to get rid of the 500,000 Tatar retention for the next couple years?

I have no idea if this makes sense or if it is something that even would be considered but when you are currently at 85 million on the cap it’s like this team needs to shed every excess dollar possible.

I guess I’m asking if there is a way to transfer that 500,000 from Tatar and offer it to Gusev on top of what already has been offered.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Would it be worth it to give up a 7th to get rid of the 500,000 Tatar retention for the next couple years?

I have no idea if this makes sense or if it is something that even would be considered but when you are currently at 85 million on the cap it’s like this team needs to shed every excess dollar possible.

I guess I’m asking if there is a way to transfer that 500,000 from Tatar and offer it to Gusev on top of what already has been offered.
You cannot trade retained salary.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
What are the VGK's needs for Gusev to the Avs? Cap dump? D?

We don't have our 2nd in next years' draft and I doubt the Avs would relinquish their 1st round pick.

Of prospects:

AJ Greer - LW prospect. Pain in the rear agitator. Grit is his game. Very physical. Not afraid to mix it up. Has a tendency to draw penalties. Some on our boards love him and think he tops out at 3rd line. But got into legal trouble for fighting with a drunk friend over a bar tab after a night of partying. Still, a legit prospect. I just don't think our HC Bender is a fan of that type of player.

Kamanev - Probably tops out at 3rd line C but most have him penned in on the 4th line. Talented. Very limited experience in the NHL before suffering two season ending injuries. Came from the Preds organization and should make the NHL.

Rosen - former TML LHD projected top 4.

Connauton - former Yotes 3rd liner LHD. Played 50 games for one of the top ranked D squads.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

We don't have our 2nd in next years' draft and I doubt the Avs would relinquish their 1st round pick.

Of prospects:

AJ Greer - LW prospect. Pain in the rear agitator. Grit is his game. Very physical. Not afraid to mix it up. Has a tendency to draw penalties. Some on our boards love him and think he tops out at 3rd line. But got into legal trouble for fighting with a drunk friend over a bar tab after a night of partying. Still, a legit prospect. I just don't think our HC Bender is a fan of that type of player.

Kamanev - Probably tops out at 3rd line C but most have him penned in on the 4th line. Talented. Very limited experience in the NHL before suffering two season ending injuries. Came from the Preds organization and should make the NHL.

Connauton - former Yotes 3rd liner LHD. Played 50 games for one of the top ranked D squads.

There's no deal to be had there, the Avs don't have the right prospects or picks. Besides I think VGK would be very leery of trading him to the Avs knowing there's a chance the two teams are playing in May.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
There's no deal to be had there, the Avs don't have the right prospects or picks. Besides I think VGK would be very leery of trading him to the Avs knowing there's a chance the two teams are playing in May.

Wishful thinking. While I was disappointed to have the VGK exit in the POs in game 7 against the Sharks, I was relieved because I thought they were the tougher match up for the Avs. I recall going to the late season game at the Can where the Avs got on Vegas early and had them by the throat. Lo and behold in the third period and boom, VGK came storming back. And the Avs literally had to win the game IIRC or not make the POs. Yeah, I kind of think Gusev is a tremendous value like Panarin at 1/3 cost.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Of prospects:

This is a joke, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad