The Taylor Hall Thread II: Taylor Ham Edition

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just dropping by to check in on my boy (my favourite player until McDavid came along). I haven't had much of a chance to watch him this year, but I see he's off to a decent start and so are the Devils. How's he been? Who's he playing with, and how is that chemistry looking? Any surprises in his play or criticisms that you weren't expecting out of him?

I expect the points will start coming in bunches here right away. He usually goes on a nice hot streak by game 15-20 where he can take a team on his back. NJ might be better for him though tbh if he doesn't have to do this as it seems like he burns out a bit after a long hot stretch. Hopefully being in the playoff race can keep him consistent all year so we can see him back in the top 10 for scoring.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I'm so happy Larsson is doing well he was far and away my favorite player. He was my username when he wasn't really an NHL player at one point and I stuck by him. I persevered like Adam Larsson, but seriously the fact oiler fans have really come around on Adam and seem to really like him makes me very happy. I knew a hockey saavy city like Edmonton would appreciate the nuances of his game. I think his hockey sense is the first thing you notice cause it's at such a high level, his defense is amazing and I'm still holding out hope he will start producing more assists and goals. I don't think he gets a second of PP time during a game.

However this is Taylor Hall thread and the Canadian media is really starting to piss me off. I think it's just so disrespectful to bring up the fact your former team is doing better than the team you got traded to at the moment. I think it's insulting and something I have never seen before especially from the Canadian media they're usually more respectful idk I'm gettin sick of it. Talk about it the game we play the Oilers, there's no reason for this and it needs to stop. End rant.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I'm so happy Larsson is doing well he was far and away my favorite player. He was my username when he wasn't really an NHL player at one point and I stuck by him. I persevered like Adam Larsson, but seriously the fact oiler fans have really come around on Adam and seem to really like him makes me very happy. I knew a hockey saavy city like Edmonton would appreciate the nuances of his game. I think his hockey sense is the first thing you notice cause it's at such a high level, his defense is amazing and I'm still holding out hope he will start producing more assists and goals. I don't think he gets a second of PP time during a game.

However this is Taylor Hall thread and the Canadian media is really starting to piss me off. I think it's just so disrespectful to bring up the fact your former team is doing better than the team you got traded to at the moment. I think it's insulting and something I have never seen before especially from the Canadian media they're usually more respectful idk I'm gettin sick of it. Talk about it the game we play the Oilers, there's no reason for this and it needs to stop. End rant.

The radio interview he did before the season where the host asked him if he would re-sign with the Oilers as a free agent was laugh out loud funny.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Just dropping by to check in on my boy (my favourite player until McDavid came along). I haven't had much of a chance to watch him this year, but I see he's off to a decent start and so are the Devils. How's he been? Who's he playing with, and how is that chemistry looking? Any surprises in his play or criticisms that you weren't expecting out of him?

I expect the points will start coming in bunches here right away. He usually goes on a nice hot streak by game 15-20 where he can take a team on his back. NJ might be better for him though tbh if he doesn't have to do this as it seems like he burns out a bit after a long hot stretch. Hopefully being in the playoff race can keep him consistent all year so we can see him back in the top 10 for scoring.

Thanks for dropping by. Taylor Hall has been great for us. Exciting to watch, creating plays for himself and others, and competing passionately. He's really what the Devils needed: a dynamic offensive player. Already a real fan favorite here in NJ.

Taylor has played with a variety of forwards so far this season. Most recently, he's been playing with Zajac, whom he seems to have good chemistry with, and he's also seemed to have nice chemistry with Zacha.

The biggest surprise for me is that he actually has been pretty reliable defensively and more effective on the PK than I would have imagined. I was willing to live with defensive shortcomings in exchange for the offensive I was confident he could bring, but really he's been fine defensively and his work ethic is obvious.

I don't have any criticisms about him. He makes this team a lot more fun to watch and more competitive.

I wouldn't so no to an offensive explosion from him, of course, though:D

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for dropping by. Taylor Hall has been great for us. Exciting to watch, creating plays for himself and others, and competing passionately. He's really what the Devils needed: a dynamic offensive player. Already a real fan favorite here in NJ.

Taylor has played with a variety of forwards so far this season. Most recently, he's been playing with Zajac, whom he seems to have good chemistry with, and he's also seemed to have nice chemistry with Zacha.

The biggest surprise for me is that he actually has been pretty reliable defensively and more effective on the PK than I would have imagined. I was willing to live with defensive shortcomings in exchange for the offensive I was confident he could bring, but really he's been fine defensively and his work ethic is obvious.

I don't have any criticisms about him. He makes this team a lot more fun to watch and more competitive.

I wouldn't so no to an offensive explosion from him, of course, though:D

So Hall has been PKing for you guys hey? Awesome. I miss having him on the Oilers and have been paying as much attention as I can to how he's been doing for you guys.

9points in 12 games is pretty typical early season production for Hall, so don't be surprised when he rips off like 20pts in 13 games once he's fully in rhythm.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
an assist and the SO winner tonight

its clear hes so much more creative than the rest of our forwards

Last edited:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
So Hall has been PKing for you guys hey? Awesome. I miss having him on the Oilers and have been paying as much attention as I can to how he's been doing for you guys.

9points in 12 games is pretty typical early season production for Hall, so don't be surprised when he rips off like 20pts in 13 games once he's fully in rhythm.

Yeah, Hall has spent some time on the PK especially earlier on in the season, and he did quite well with it in my opinion. He's definitely an electrifying player, and I can see why you miss him (though you do have McDavid as a consolation). I would love to see Hall put up 20 points in 13 games. The Devils have been missing a player of that caliber for awhile now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When guys start finishing his passes, he will start racking up assists.

He's clearly a step ahead of every other forward here. That cancer talk is a joke and so was the "He only scores against the bad teams" accusation from Klefbom and that loser scrub, now Euro league goalie Sievens or whatever his name is.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

dont be surprised, the canadian media is a self centered joke

all they care about is the canadian teams

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Point total prediction? He has the talent to be point per game, but I'm not sure the talent around him will be enough to get him there. I'll predict 70 points but a career high 35 goals. He's getting so many shots off, he's gonna start potting them again.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
When guys start finishing his passes, he will start racking up assists.

He's clearly a step ahead of every other forward here. That cancer talk is a joke and so was the "He only scores against the bad teams" accusation from Klefbom and that loser scrub, now Euro league goalie Sievens or whatever his name is.

Give it time and I think you'll see a big jump in points for Hall.

Him, Zajac, and Parenteau look like they are building some chemistry. With the way Hynes trots him out on different lines and the way Hall stays on for some long shifts, he's likely to build chemistry with other players too.

We haven't had players like Zacha and Hall that can make plays and find players in a long time. It seems like some of our forwards have to adjust to that.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
Edmonton fan popping in to say hello. I always liked Hall and the Subban-treatment he got from some media and fans on his way out left a sour taste in my mouth. He always goes hard and plays for the team. Yes he was/is streaky but when he is "on" he can carry a team on his back which is a rare thing in this league. I hope he has a great year for you guys.

As for Larsson, he is exactly what NJ fans said he would be. Solid, steady, composed, the same game in and game out. He brings enough offense to not be 1-dimensional. I don't think he will ever be a top notch #1 but he is already a solid #2 imo despite what the haters think. I think he will level out as a low-end #1 which is just fine in my books. And obviously his great contract was one key reason he was able to get Hall back for NJ.

I think both teams will win longterm from this deal. We might argue about who wins "more" but that's just splitting hairs imo.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hall is a better all around player than I thought. I have to give him some credit on his defensive play. He still likes to fly the zone, but when he is in the D zone, he isn't completely lost and he competes hard.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Give it time and I think you'll see a big jump in points for Hall.

Him, Zajac, and Parenteau look like they are building some chemistry. With the way Hynes trots him out on different lines and the way Hall stays on for some long shifts, he's likely to build chemistry with other players too.

We haven't had players like Zacha and Hall that can make plays and find players in a long time. It seems like some of our forwards have to adjust to that.
I think so too. I've already seen some unreal passes from him die and go to hell on the opposing goalies chest or at the glass. Parenteau had one last night, though I can't in good conscience call out Parenteau for that, as he's been a good source of goal scoring for us all season long. Or Henrique on opening night against the Panthers, way wide in OT. Was it also Hall that passed to Henrique in OT against the Blackhawks, when he took the weakest shot I've seen all season and it totally missed the net?
Edmonton fan popping in to say hello. I always liked Hall and the Subban-treatment he got from some media and fans on his way out left a sour taste in my mouth. He always goes hard and plays for the team. Yes he was/is streaky but when he is "on" he can carry a team on his back which is a rare thing in this league. I hope he has a great year for you guys.

As for Larsson, he is exactly what NJ fans said he would be. Solid, steady, composed, the same game in and game out. He brings enough offense to not be 1-dimensional. I don't think he will ever be a top notch #1 but he is already a solid #2 imo despite what the haters think. I think he will level out as a low-end #1 which is just fine in my books. And obviously his great contract was one key reason he was able to get Hall back for NJ.

I think both teams will win longterm from this deal. We might argue about who wins "more" but that's just splitting hairs imo.

Is he still not being used on the power play? I know he wasn't when I watched a few games earlier in the year and talked to Edmonton fans about it.

I'm not sure he'll produce much offense if he doesn't get some power play time. But he did have a stretch of a point every other game in the second half of 14-15 at one point. I think he scored like 20 points in 38 games or something, all at even strength and a few on the penalty kill. Glad to see him doing well up there.:nod:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Great to hear from Oil fans. I am getting an impression that some think we are worried that Hall's point totals aren't lighting the world on fire. It really isn't a concern for us right now.

It has been stated, but we have been juggling lines like crazy so he hasn't had much time until now to develop chemistry with a full line. He doesn't have another high end talent to play with either, which is going to limit him somewhat as well.

Still we all see what he brings offensively. We are seeing how fast he is, how he drives offensive play, and how he makes things happen. Anyone watching him play every night sees he is a stud.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
As someone who works in Jersey City, I'm happy he's living here. Hopefully, he's living more near Paulus Hook than Newport, though.

If he's in JC my guess is he's at Crystal Point or 77 Hudson since they're the nicest buildings around. I live in Paulus Hook so maybe I'll bump into him one day :)

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure if this has already been posted, but Chris Ryan put together a fun Q&A with Hall.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2016/11/devils_qa_taylor_halls_impressions_of_nj_life.html

As someone who works in Jersey City, I'm happy he's living here. Hopefully, he's living more near Paulus Hook than Newport, though.

I know that Gazdic lives in the penthouse of my building, which is closer to Newport (actually north of Newport). Given how close the two are, my guess is Hall lives in my building as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad