The Taylor Hall Thread II: Taylor Ham Edition

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Larsson is ****ing awesome. He's such a beast back there for us. So glad to see the trade is working out for both teams. Hall, and Lars both going beast mode.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I wish nothing but success to Larsson and the Oilers. In fact, I'm trying to watch their games as my West Coast team this year. Just need to ignore flamebaiters like the guy in the main board that put "Is Hall a cancer?" in his thread about the Oilers.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Edmonton fan here. Hall is not a cancer, and the vast majority of Oiler fans share this view. He remains one of my favourite players in the league and I am estatic he's doing well for you guys. The Devils have become my east team, and I'm really hoping to see Hall in the playoffs! Best of luck!

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Can we seriously just drop any talk of him being a problem or a "cancer"?

It seems like bitter fans who wanted to win a trade made up problems and now we as Devils fans have continued this false rumor. Just rediculous how we can't just enjoy our new player without people bringing back up how their was talk of him being a problem child.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Yea, the reasons for him being a cancer are laughable, and the few that are attributing the teams success so far this year as more proof of that are being pretty disingenuous.

I'm glad Larsson is doing well for the Oilers and glad they are doing well too. I have always liked them as a west coast team since I was a kid because of guys like Smyth and Cujo. I was even pulling for them back in 06 because they were a fun story and team to watch. So not only am I glad they're doing well right now, so far, because they have Larsson, but because I have always had a soft spot for them.

Hall has done what he was brought here to do. Though it would be nice if he was getting a bit more help from the other guys that are supposed to be scoring as well.

His chemistry with Zacha is pretty awesome to watch at the moment. Hopefully Zacha can start putting some in the net as well.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
If Hall were a cancer him and Rico wouldn't still be very close after spending only a short time in juniors together, and Rico wouldn't have said he wanted him on the team more than anybody else last year. Rico's a good dude, and I'm not just saying that because of 2012, or that he's a captain on my team, or because he gave the best AMA in Reddit history.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Rico brought us to the Stanley Cup finals and slayed the Rags. He gets a pass on negativity for life.

Tanaka

Aug 15, 2014
I wish nothing but success to Larsson and the Oilers. In fact, I'm trying to watch their games as my West Coast team this year. Just need to ignore flamebaiters like the guy in the main board that put "Is Hall a cancer?" in his thread about the Oilers.

due to fantasy implications and my buddy being a scout for the oilers, I have watched every oilers game. they look great this year. im happy that as of now, this trade appears to be a win-win.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Haven't seen any Devils fans accusing Hall of being a cancer. Quite the opposite in fact...

If you are responding to me (hard to tell since you didn't quote me), I never said Devils fans are calling him a cancer but continuing the false narrative by talking about it nonstop. All in a Hall thread nonetheless.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If you are responding to me (hard to tell since you didn't quote me), I never said Devils fans are calling him a cancer but continuing the false narrative by talking about it nonstop. All in a Hall thread nonetheless.

Discrediting a false narrative is not the same as perpetuating it. That's my point.

I also find the habit of posters policing what others want to talk about a little annoying. If you don't like the discussion in the Hall thread, bring up something else about Hall or just avoid the thread, instead of complaining about others discussing something that was a major headline this off-season.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
I don't think the "fans wanting to start the rumor to win the trade" comment is fair. For the vast majority of Oiler fans Taylor Hall was a fan fave and I don't really see the cancer comments coming from us. Check out the appreciation thread, most comments are "I'll miss Hall and I know he'll do great in New Jersey but..." And so on.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't think the "fans wanting to start the rumor to win the trade" comment is fair. For the vast majority of Oiler fans Taylor Hall was a fan fave and I don't really see the cancer comments coming from us. Check out the appreciation thread, most comments are "I'll miss Hall and I know he'll do great in New Jersey but..." And so on.

I think a lot of the narrative was media generated, to be honest. Whatever generates clicks and garners interest.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you think the narrative was faulty before the season wait till a few more Oiler wins. If they make the playoffs this time while we miss...

And I'm not saying that'd be fair either. But you know it's coming if that happens.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Discrediting a false narrative is not the same as perpetuating it. That's my point.

I also find the habit of posters policing what others want to talk about a little annoying. If you don't like the discussion in the Hall thread, bring up something else about Hall or just avoid the thread, instead of complaining about others discussing something that was a major headline this off-season.

That's definitely where our differences come out over the past few occasions.

I think sometimes I view these discussions on players as if the player themself reads the board and they need to be defended. Should I have to ignore a thread because of this? Probably not, but then again I would be ignoring almost every thread if this were the case.

To each his own FJG. No hard feelings meant.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
That's definitely where our differences come out over the past few occasions.

I think sometimes I view these discussions on players as if the player themself reads the board and they need to be defended. Should I have to ignore a thread because of this? Probably not, but then again I would be ignoring almost every thread if this were the case.

To each his own FJG. No hard feelings meant.

I don't have a problem with giving my honest assessments of players' abilities (or a coach's abilities or a person in management's). To me, that is fair game, and I'm probably less hard on them than they are on themselves. However, I don't think I cross what is my personal line of insulting them as people (I've even made it clear that I think some of our bad players are still good guys, just not very skilled at NHL hockey), or making comments about their families, etc.

That being said, if there is a rumor as well publicized as the one about Hall was out there, I see it as a good thing to articulate that I don't see it as true. In my experience, if there is a false rumor about me circulating, I'd rather hear that people know it's not true, then have to wonder if people believe it is true, and I think Hall has to be familiar with what the media was saying about him. I doubt this thread would've been the first he read about it. If anything, I would believe he'd be grateful or relieved or what have you to hear us saying we don't believe it.

Anyway, as you say, it might come down to different perspectives, and I'm just explaining mine like you did yours. No hard feelings on my side either, and apologies if my earlier post came across as abrasive. It's the Jersey in me. :)

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Another article on Hall discussing the Oilers hot start. I'm assuming this is the Canadian media constantly bringing the Oilers up to Taylor.

Devils' Hall: Oilers' hot start tough to ignore thesco.re/2egaWFy

While his New Jersey Devils currently see themselves in a playoff spot, Taylor Hall can't help but notice just how impressive his former club has been early on.

The Edmonton Oilers have been red-hot out of the gate this season, amassing a league-high 12 points. The team's latest victory came Wednesday against the former Presidents' Trophy-winning Washington Capitals, taking the game by a score of 4-1. And even though he now calls the Prudential Center home, Hall is well aware of Edmonton's early-season success.

"They won last night. It’s kind of a weird feeling," Hall said, according to TSN's Frank Seravalli. "I'd be lying if I said it's not hard to see them get off to such a hot start. But I'm happy for the guys there, for sure."

Nearly four months since the trade that saw the 24-year-old swapped for defenseman Adam Larsson, Hall admits he is still getting used to life as a Devil.

"It's still weird wearing the red and black," Hall said. "Seeing the logo, I get taken (aback). Playing games now, I'd say it's pretty much getting normal now."

It was a whirlwind summer for Hall, who has not shied away admitting he never wanted to be traded.

Hall, however, also can't ignore the fact that the emergence of Connor McDavid as a truly game-changing player may have influenced the Oilers' decision to deal him away.

"It's tough,” Hall said. "I put a lot into my time there. I didn't want to get traded. But they had to do what they had to do. I don't think I felt like a scapegoat. I just felt like I was shortchanged in the fact that I had been there for so long and now that they had Connor they were finally making that step and I'm the one that gets let go?"

All this aside, Hall has jumped out to a blistering start of his own with five goals and six points through six games. He's beginning to turn a new leaf, which he insists will have little to do with trying to stick it to his former club.

"As the summer went on, I started realizing it's not about proving Edmonton wrong. It's about proving your teammates and the organization here in New Jersey right," Hall said. "We're over .500. We're a team that is going to fight for a playoff spot. That's going to be a lot of fun.

"I'm just hungry to be in a playoff race, to have games at the end of the season that mean a lot."

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I wish the game was tomorrow so I can watch him play more.

Been a while since we had an individual player it get this excited over.

im looking forward to seeing some him play also (finally) ….watched one period of season opener and fell asleep due to work …..then its been chicago baseball on every single game night since….

been reading the pulse here on him and am really stoked to see him (and the team) play….

on the bright side i havent missed out on any santini action :sarcasm:

….pencil me in for the nov 3rd vs the panthers…..hall hatty night hopefully :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00