The Tank Megathread Part IV -- All Tank Talk & Standings Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Wouldn't the length of a "sophomore slump" by definition, be approximately one (1) entire sophomore season? :D

I mean, it's concerning and he's had a miserable second season. But it hasn't helped that the guy brought in to insulate him, has been unexpectedly injured for a good portion of the year now. This is trial by fire...and he's burning. This is what a happens on a team bad enough to be called "tanking". In this case, it's at least partially about an injury to a player that should be insulating here. But it's a good taste of what throwing a bunch of rookies into the fire can look like. Little preview of a "full blown rebuild", where a guy like Horvat is asked to do way more than he's ready for. :dunno:

Any "tank team" is going to necessarily have guys leading the league in the most ugly of categories. Plus/Minus chief among them. Any team bad enough to "tank", will be bad enough to have a horrendous goal differential, a bunch of young/inexperienced players drowning in their minutes...and as a result of that, a long long list of minuses compiled over a season.

Bo being deep in the minus territory, is exactly what "tanking" is about.

Agree with this and tbh a really bad +/- is hardly the most career-damning stat around. Didn't Edler lead the league in +/- during the Torts year or at least close to it? So much of the stat is situational depending on your team's own goal differential plus your deployment by the coach. And while Bo has hardly been blameless, I have trouble getting too worried about his long-term future when I see the kind of goals that go in when Bartowski, Weber, Sbisa, and even Hamhuis and Edler have been on the ice this year. Sometimes whoever is on the ice with them is just taken along for the ride.

As for it being an expected outcome of "tanking", I suppose it is hard to be a strong +/- on a team that is bad enough to pick at the top of the draft. But at the same time, is this team actually "tanking"? I mean, if you ignore the fact that there is a tank thread on this board - which has more to do with fan wishes than management action - then what signs are there that this is actually a "tanking" team? If anything, this is the "purgatory" team that many posters are so fearful of. Bad but not recognizing or accepting their badness and so continuing to chase playoffs. I bring this up only because I don't think it is fair to lay Bo's season on the feet of "tank nation", as it is actually happening in the midst of a "let's keep trying and do our best" season. In other words, bad stuff can happen to players whether your team is trying to win or trying to tank. All that really matters is objectively how good or bad your team actually is. Whether we are tanking or chasing playoffs, this is a *bad* team and Bo's season - to a degree - is an outcome of that.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Agree with this and tbh a really bad +/- is hardly the most career-damning stat around. Didn't Edler lead the league in +/- during the Torts year or at least close to it? So much of the stat is situational depending on your team's own goal differential plus your deployment by the coach. And while Bo has hardly been blameless, I have trouble getting too worried about his long-term future when I see the kind of goals that go in when Bartowski, Weber, Sbisa, and even Hamhuis and Edler have been on the ice this year. Sometimes whoever is on the ice with them is just taken along for the ride.

As for it being an expected outcome of "tanking", I suppose it is hard to be a strong +/- on a team that is bad enough to pick at the top of the draft. But at the same time, is this team actually "tanking"? I mean, if you ignore the fact that there is a tank thread on this board - which has more to do with fan wishes than management action - then what signs are there that this is actually a "tanking" team? If anything, this is the "purgatory" team that many posters are so fearful of. Bad but not recognizing or accepting their badness and so continuing to chase playoffs. I bring this up only because I don't think it is fair to lay Bo's season on the feet of "tank nation", as it is actually happening in the midst of a "let's keep trying and do our best" season. In other words, bad stuff can happen to players whether your team is trying to win or trying to tank. All that really matters is objectively how good or bad your team actually is. Whether we are tanking or chasing playoffs, this is a *bad* team and Bo's season - to a degree - is an outcome of that.

People just don't get it, when the whole team is bad, some players will underperform and it's not a surprise that it happens on a 20 years

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Keys to a championship:

1. Tank but never admit it.
2. Build a johny canuck loggers' work ethic
3. Provide fans a team that never gives up and battles in 90% of games

Check check and check

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Keys to a championship:

Check check and check

Benning is not trying to tank, he just built a crappy team. You even said yourself in October that this team was too good to tank and have now changed your tune since you've seen how bad this team is.

Yes, this team is tanking but it's an unintentional tank. It's floundering due to management's incompetence.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Benning is not trying to tank, he just built a crappy team. You even said yourself in October that this team was too good to tank and have now changed your tune since you've seen how bad this team is.

Yes, this team is tanking but it's an unintentional tank. It's floundering due to management's incompetence.
Well, it won't be the first time that a team gets a top 3 pick unintentionally.
Hawks, Isles, Lightning hell even the Oilers.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa

Since we need a rebuild and a high draft pick, that's good, no? I would say that Benning is starting to become a good GM :sarcasm::sarcasm:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Well, it won't be the first time that a team gets a top 3 pick unintentionally.
Hawks, Isles, Lightning hell even the Oilers.

Well if you ask the Oilers management team, the last 10 years has been unintentional.

Incompetence is often not intentional.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hard to enjoy a tank. It's made even harder because this management team wasn't trying to tank. It is the Oilers...or at least year 1 of 10.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Keys to a championship:

Check check and check

Here we go again.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

There is no argument against this. The Canucks have one of the highest payrolls in the league.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The fans that follow this team deeply know that a 1-3 year rebuild is acceptable as it'll bring in higher draft picks that lead to better players. However, most of the fans that attend the games are corporate giants, who want to bring overseas clients to the games to socialize. It doesn't create a good atmosphere when your home team loses more than it wins. When I attend games, I usually sit in upper bowl (I am a working class man) and every time I go, the lower bowl is empty through the 1st period (even during the playoffs). If you don't know already, those lower bowl seats are reserved for the corporate giants and they just come to have a good time. They don't really care about the long-term success of the team. I'd be surprised they even know more than 2 players on this team outside the Sedins. Upper bowl seats usually cost under $100. Lower bowl, depending on the game, can go up to $800 (ie Crosby in town). The average working class can't afford that kind of ticket when that can go to rent or groceries.

And all of this means that Benning (pressure from Aquilini), like any manager running a business, needs to cater to the high net worth clients, which are, the corporate giants. You can't build a business based on the fanbase providing you with 20% of revenue. You build a business based on the corporates spending 80% of season tickets even if they don't attend.

So the Canucks are definitely not trying to tank. The payroll of the team suggests they are contending and Benning isn't intentionally trying to get Matthews. What you see here is a team that is past its prime and hasn't accepted a real rebuild.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
There is no argument against this. The Canucks have one of the highest payrolls in the league.

Why would a GM tank a year after they had a 100 points + I've never seen any team do that ever.....but Benning defnitley has to realize that this year is a lost cause and sell, hopefully we can get another 1st in this draft.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Craig Button's mock draft has us picking Alex Nylander at number 5, with Chychrun going 6th and Juolevi going 7th.

Given Nylander is a winger I'm not sure I like this. Would prefer Chychrun at 5 if he falls unless his value continues to fall and Nylander puts up a monster second half.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Craig Button's mock draft has us picking Alex Nylander at number 5, with Chychrun going 6th and Juolevi going 7th.

Given Nylander is a winger I'm not sure I like this. Would prefer Chychrun at 5 if he falls unless his value continues to fall and Nylander puts up a monster second half.

I'd take Chychrun every time at 5th. He's the best defenceman in the draft and was rated 3rd overall up until a month ago.

Plus the Canucks are pretty thin on top 4 D. Only Edler and Tanev are sure-fire top 2 D. Hutton, Tryamkim, and Pedan are still question marks. And Sbisa is our 6th.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
And I think he'd be the more valuable player for us. A good D can log 30 min, and he's that guy who can do that.

the thing with Dman is the development post draft is key and mostly unpredicable.

I don't like how Chychrun seems to have stalled a bit with his development. His 16 year old year was fantastic, this year a bit disappointing tbh.

I think Juolevi has certainly showed enough that he is at least in the same "tier" as Chychrun.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
the thing with Dman is the development post draft is key and mostly unpredicable.

I don't like how Chychrun seems to have stalled a bit with his development. His 16 year old year was fantastic, this year a bit disappointing tbh.

I think Juolevi has certainly showed enough that he is at least in the same "tier" as Chychrun.

I hate to base an opinion solely off the WJC's, but there's no doubt Juolevi has improved his value. I think you have to consider him at the 6 or 7 spot (along with Nylander). Has Chychrun fallen out of the top 5? I don't think so yet, but let's see how the next few months go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad