The Tank Megathread Part IV -- All Tank Talk & Standings Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm looking more towards the 6-10 range. As bad as this team is there are a good five teams who are worse and play like it. This team has enough firepower to overcome its issues from time to time. And the rest of the division being garbage as well really compounds that problem.

The Oilers should pass us once they get McFabulous back for good. Beyond that I really don't see us picking top 3 unless we get murdered by injuries or we win the lottery to get bumped up.

There are still some great players in that top ten. Alex Nylander has really impressed me, plays a much more North American game than his brother.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The appeal of finishing last is much greater now because of the odds of falling out of the top three IMO.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I honestly don't see the Oilers finishing ahead of us, if the Canucks can remain relatively healthy (mainly the Sedins) and get Sutter back.

I think the oilers are likely in for another bottom 8 finish.

It's a dogfight down there and I don't see a lot of these teams getting ahead of us.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Was amused to read the last few posts in the previous Tank thread and suddenly people are optimistic about this team again after a win against Edmonton and a couple Eastern dregs. Funny how fickle people are that a smattering of wins suddenly has people convinced we don't need a massive overhaul of talent and personalities on this team.

Everyone's entitled to their views but I don't get how people can gloss over just how crappily this team is built. I'd still blow it up with a hundred megatons of dynamite if I was in charge.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Was amused to read the last few posts in the previous Tank thread and suddenly people are optimistic about this team again after a win against Edmonton and a couple Eastern dregs. Funny how fickle people are that a smattering of wins suddenly has people convinced we don't need a massive overhaul of talent and personalities on this team.

Everyone's entitled to their views but I don't get how people can gloss over just how crappily this team is built. I'd still blow it up with a hundred megatons of dynamite if I was in charge.

Couldn't agree more. I just don't get it.

Those posts reflected our management group to a tee.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation

Most of those posters will be back on team tank once we get stomped on by LA and Anaheim.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

Cuz we havnt had sutter or hamhuis and are still in a playoff spot?

You say we beat edmonton. I say sutter has been injured.

Oh we are well aware burr and higgins are anchors. We have faith theyre moved.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

We squeaked by a team who is missing probably their best player...

Even still its not like they are a good team. We aren't a good team, and as Y2K says it wasn't by design.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

You understand all teams have injuries right? Missing Sutter and Hamhuis isn't any more than most other teams have had to deal with.

And I don't much care if Higgins and Burrows are moved, honestly their value is pretty much nil even at the TDL. At some point we need warm bodies to ice a team, I would just like to have some exciting young talent to put on that team rather than rely on a few good-not-elite young players and a bunch of mediocre vets to alternate between wins and losses all season long.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Couldn't agree more. I just don't get it.

Those posts reflected our management group to a tee.

Exactly. Like the thing I don't really *like* being pro-loss, it certainly isn't as fun as cheering this team on during its heyday. And I'd like to get back to cheering on for wins again as soon as this team seems capable of being a real cup challenging team again. But barely squeaking out wins against Tampa and Edmonton doesn't give me the same enjoyment as winning games back when you *knew* we were a good team. At this point it feels more counterproductive than anything to be happy about TBH.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Tanev is gone long term, and with Henrik obviously on the limp, surely the tank has to be back on eventually-particularly with that blueline.:handclap:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
We squeaked by a team who is missing probably their best player...

Even still its not like they are a good team. We aren't a good team, and as Y2K says it wasn't by design.

We aren't a good team...but bottom 5 teams find ways to lose a lot of the games the Canucks have pulled out to win.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
We aren't a good team...but bottom 5 teams find ways to lose a lot of the games the Canucks have pulled out to win.

Ya, we are bad but more 6-10 bad than 1-5 bad. It's a shame but there's still a lot of great talent in that range that would put a bit of a positive on this otherwise dog of a season.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Exactly. Like the thing I don't really *like* being pro-loss, it certainly isn't as fun as cheering this team on during its heyday. And I'd like to get back to cheering on for wins again as soon as this team seems capable of being a real cup challenging team again. But barely squeaking out wins against Tampa and Edmonton doesn't give me the same enjoyment as winning games back when you *knew* we were a good team. At this point it feels more counterproductive than anything to be happy about TBH.

I'm all for cheering for wins, and even though I am pro-tank myself I still cheer to win but am not upset at all when we do end up losing because it is for the better - whether people want to accept it or not. What does irk me, is cheering for wins, and hoping for playoffs BECAUSE OF wins against Tampa and Edmonton in which we barely won both - how those two games inject confidence for the playoffs is honestly beyond me, and at that point, clear bias/homer glasses.

Let's try and be good for a month for once, and beat some actual top contending teams...then we can have some confidence.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Playoff bound! 100 points!

Too bad there aren't 100 games a year, we could have 100 loser points and be a 100 point team!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The sedins deserve for us to win the lottery.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The sedins deserve for us to win the lottery.

Ya I mean if they have any plans to stay past their current contracts they would probably be better off if we did tank this year and picked up a Matthews or Laine than our current trajectory. Not that they think about that obviously or let it drive their play, as competitors are driven to win now rather than play for their future. But it is ironic that their good play today is probably hurting them down the road.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Toronto won.
Columbus lost.
Anaheim tied.
Colorado winning.
Winnipeg winning.
Carolina winning.

Also, wow, Winnipeg has sure fallen off a damn cliff. Three points out of dead last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad