The Tank Megathread -- All Tank Talk & Standings Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curved Space

Apr 9, 2006
This might get zapped by mods, and I have no problem if it is deleted by them.

But my question is how wise is it for we who love the Canucks to desire that they finish as low as possible in order to get a first line player to be there when the Sedins are gone. I don't see a first line player among the youngsters but I could be wrong.

Does anyone think this team will become a real contender this season even if they improve somewhat and squeak into the playoffs? Not me.

I'm certainly not asking the players or the coaches or even the management to tank. I'm just hoping things unfold in a way that this season leads us to a very high draft pick. We need elite coming our way.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015

But my question is how wise is it for we who love the Canucks to desire that they finish as low as possible in order to get a first line player to be there when the Sedins are gone. I don't see a first line player among the youngsters but I could be wrong.

Does anyone think this team will become a real contender this season even if they improve somewhat and squeak into the playoffs? Not me.

I'm certainly not asking the players or the coaches or even the management to tank. I'm just hoping things unfold in a way that this season leads us to a very high draft pick. We need elite coming our way.

I agree, it makes it easier to watch the team falter. I am really hoping that this road trip put the team in a position where they will fall off the ****ing map.

Sven Baertschi*

We had multiple tank threads throughout the Torts season. No reason to delete this one. Hopefully we end up with Puljujarvi at the minimum for witnessing this tire-fire

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If we get Austin Matthews, they'll likely either send him down to the AHL for the season, or he'll be stuck as our 4C playing next to Dorsett and whoever because they don't want to put pressure on him. He'll get 7 minutes per game and wish he never even got drafted. Seems like a Willie D thing to do.

But if it gets us Nolan Patrick as well, and Benning/Willie are fired the following year, maybe we'll have something here...

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
If we get Austin Matthews, they'll likely either send him down to the AHL for the season, or he'll be stuck as our 4C playing next to Dorsett and whoever because they don't want to put pressure on him. He'll get 7 minutes per game and wish he never even got drafted. Seems like a Willie D thing to do.

But if it gets us Nolan Patrick as well, and Benning/Willie are fired the following year, maybe we'll have something here...

if we tank then WD is gone at season's end. Not a doubt in my mind about that. Benning will be around a couple more years i think.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The team sucks. No need to tank, the roster management put together isn't very good.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Since my cheering has zero influence on how well our team plays, I will continue to cheer for wins. I do understand that a tank is likely needed for this sad excuse of a management group to assemble a good team.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Benning will be around a couple more years i think.

JRdXWGY.gif

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

I support hockey decisions being made towards getting this franchise into a position where they can compete for a Stanley Cup for a sustained period of time. That's the key. A big picture not. Not, let's make the playoffs and be 1 and done.

The Canucks lost to Calgary last season. An inexperienced team without their top Dman. They blew a 3-0 game 6 lead. Good teams don't do that with their season on the line.

Be like the Cowboys when they deal Walker. Jimmy Johnson said, if they just used their own picks, they wouldn't have been able to win as fast. That is what the Nucks need to do. If they hold onto vets so that they retire, then it will take a long time to acquire the talent needed to compete.

Canucks won't win a cup for the remainder of the twin's contract. Just not going to happen. Too much poor drafting and player development from the Nonis through Gillis era. Thus the void of drafted players on the roster between 22-28.

Let's look at the roster post Sedin twins.

Center
McCann - seems to be more of a shooter than setup man for a Centre. See him as a high end #2. Would need to have high end wingers for him to slot into a #1 C role like Morrison back in the WCE days.
Horvat - shows the ability to be like Kesler and handle the big defensive duties. Hoping to see more offence in the coming years
Sutter - can and should take some of the defensive duties away from Horvat and can chip in offensively
Cassels - needs to improve his skating to be effective checking top end players.
It is a solid group. Ideally like to see a high end Centre. Otherwise, they need high end wingers to carry the offensive load

RW
Virtanen - physical winger. hoping to see him develop his scoring touch in coming seasons
Boeser - projects to be a scorer/shooter which they need
Grenier - next season need to see him on the Nucks roster to see if he has a future or not
Top 2 RW spots are covered. Need to draft (mid rounds) and develop role players. In other words, we need another Hansen to come from the system

LW
Baertschi - need to see more offence from him and for WD to put him in more offensive situations
Shinkaruk - see Sven, but for next season
Gaunce - projecting to be a 3rd line checker
Rodin - unsure if he can produce at the NHL level like he recently has in the SEL
Weakest of the forward positions. Need a high end winger. Like a Matt Tkachuk. I don't think the team can afford to keep more than 1 of Sven, Hunter, Anton on the roster. One of them has to be able to grab the #2 LW spot and actually contribute.

Goalie
Demko - goalie of the future. will likely spend the next 2 seasons in the AHL

Defense
Tramykin - big 6'7 Dman from the KHL. Haven't seen him, so no idea who he projects
Brisebois -
Subban - undersized, so positional play will be vital for him so he doesn't get manhandled
Pedan -
Not sure how many or if any of these guys would slot into a 2nd pairing
Very weak blue line. Need 1st pairing guy plus a couple of RHD as well who can play 2nd pair and 3rd pair

So for me, it's not so much tank as it is making the right decision.

I don't care where they are in the standings come mid Feb. They have to trade Vrbata, Hamhuis, and Prust. They need the assets. Again, due to the void of prospects from 2006-2011. JB and TL have to stockpile their own assets. What we have seen at the deadline lately, is that teams want expiring contracts. They are so up against the cap these days that they don't won't term on their deadline acquisitions.

That makes UFAs to be attractive.

They should not even consider offering these 3 guys contracts. If come July 1, these 3 guys have not re-signed with the team that they got traded to, then by all means, go ahead and try to sign them during free agency.

I say the same thing come 2017, with Miler, Burrows, Higgins, and Hansen. And in 2018 with the twins.

That has to be the mindset in order to have the talent necessary to compete for a Cup.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Since my cheering has zero influence on how well our team plays, I will continue to cheer for wins. I do understand that a tank is likely needed for this sad excuse of a management group to assemble a good team.

Personally I think a tank is needed so we can sack this sad excuse of a management group and get back to smartly building a proper team.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Since my cheering has zero influence on how well our team plays, I will continue to cheer for wins.

i cant really follow the connection here. i think that cheering implies no-effect is pretty obvious. wouldn't you cheer for the best long-term result?

MISC*

people here like to think they can handle a few years of being a bottom dweller but still talk about and lose sleep over the Garrison trade

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
people here like to think they can handle a few years of being a bottom dweller but still talk about and lose sleep over the Garrison trade

You consider the last few years exciting? Nothing is worse to me than watching an old washed up core living in mediocrity.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
i cant really follow the connection here. i think that cheering implies no-effect is pretty obvious. wouldn't you cheer for the best long-term result?

In the moment, during games, I cheer for the Canucks to win. For whatever reason, 90% of the time I can be sympathetic with the pro-tank crowd even though I think we are likely ****ed either way with Lindenning running the show for the foreseeable future, but when the games are on it annoys me to no end when I see Canucks fans cheering against the team and I want nothing more than to see us win.

I get that it doesn't make a ton of sense

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I'm cheering for wins also, I just happen not to be as mad about losses as much anymore because it is for the better. I also just cheer for other teams around us to win or at least get a point now. I'm more interested about the sad state of this team right now, and trying to make good out of it...as in bringing in a great draft pick to help turn things around quicker.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
if we get austin matthews, they'll likely either send him down to the ahl for the season, or he'll be stuck as our 4c playing next to dorsett and whoever because they don't want to put pressure on him. He'll get 7 minutes per game and wish he never even got drafted. Seems like a willie d thing to do.

But if it gets us nolan patrick as well, and benning/willie are fired the following year, maybe we'll have something here...

lol.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Tanking was required for the 3 time Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Black Hawks to get their 2 best, star players.

Tanking was also required for the 2 time Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings to get their franchise defenceman Drew Doughty.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The team sucks. No need to tank, the roster management put together isn't very good.

The coaching isn't helping either.

If we somehow make the playoffs, it will be another quick 1st round exit. Whoop dee doo. I'd rather sell off some of our valuable assets for futures and get a better pick. I used to be one of those guys who would say "anything can happen in the playoffs", but this team has been torn apart by our clueless leader and the near future doesn't look good at all. I think a rebuild is inevitable, and the longer we wait the less valuable some of our guys become (Vrbata/Hamhuis).

This team doesn't excite me at all anymore. I have trouble supporting this team, watching their games, knowing what Benning has done to this franchise. The sooner we suck, the sooner Benning might get kicked out by "must win" Aquilini.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
This is a tough season to be a fan due to the roster makeup and position the team is in with such old players at the top of the depth chart. On one hand, you want to see the team win and make the playoffs, but on the other you know it's best for the organization long term to trade their pending UFA's for picks, be high up in the draft lottery and give Benning a chance to make the best use of his skill set at the draft.

Failing winning the draft lottery, my ideal scenario would be us sitting a few points out at the deadline, trade our pending UFA's for picks, then go on a run with youth in big roles, make the playoffs, get out of the 1st Rd and still find gems like McCann, Boeser and Demko without any top 10 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad