The Tank Megathread | 5 --- All Tank Talk & Standings Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
He won't admit it because he actually believed that this team he assembled this year had what it took to not only make the playoffs, but be better built for the playoffs! :laugh::laugh: That is utterly terrifying :cry:
Eh, without the injuries we suffered this year we'd likely be in the playoffs with how weak the Pacific is this year. I mean we're still in contention and have had injuries to some pretty key guys (#1D, #2D, #2D, #2C, 1G/2G, 2RW, 1C couldn't sit for a few games :D)

Take a look at this chart -- we're easily top 5 for injury impact this year.
http://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-january-2-2016/

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Benning said he wont tank. That scares me at the deadline

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I would have said the same thing two weeks ago. And would probably still go with Chychryn. It's nearly impossible to get that type of D-man via trade and absolutely necessary to have on championship teams. I just think the decision is a lot closer now that I've seen the fins play a few games.

I'd give it more time. Chychryn was the consensus top 3 pick for over a year. I don't think that should change someone's perspective based on a couple months of play. If he continues to drop, then I'd be more weary, but if the draft were to happen today, I'd no doubt choose him.

Like you said, this type of D will never be available in UFA or trade. The Canucks almost had a guy like this a few years ago in Shea Weber. He had ties to the city and wanted to come home, but we still couldn't get him. Even when the chips are in your hand, you still can't make this type of move, which is why if these guys are available at the draft, you absolutely must take him.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
......what else is he gonna say? One thing I learn as a fan is, never believe what managements say in the press

And honestly, Benning loves his draft picks. He's on record saying draft day is his favourite day, so I don't think he'll blow away his draft picks for rentals. He hasn't done that yet.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I'd give it more time. Chychryn was the consensus top 3 pick for over a year. I don't think that should change someone's perspective based on a couple months of play. If he continues to drop, then I'd be more weary, but if the draft were to happen today, I'd no doubt choose him.

Like you said, this type of D will never be available in UFA or trade. The Canucks almost had a guy like this a few years ago in Shea Weber. He had ties to the city and wanted to come home, but we still couldn't get him. Even when the chips are in your hand, you still can't make this type of move, which is why if these guys are available at the draft, you absolutely must take him.

What's funny is Nashville currently have two those type of players in Weber and Josi, both 2nd round pick.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
And honestly, Benning loves his draft picks. He's on record saying draft day is his favourite day, so I don't think he'll blow away his draft picks for rentals. He hasn't done that yet.

This, although he did give away two 2nds to close the age gap. I hope his experiment is over.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
What's funny is Nashville currently have two those type of players in Weber and Josi, both 2nd round pick.

Nashville is a solid defensive prospect farm, the same as Vancouver being a goalie prospect farm. Too bad Nashville is set in net.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boy, when you look at the stats, there's only one conclusion you can draw....this is a bad, bad hockey team....near the bottom on possession numbers; dead last in faceoffs won; near the bottom of pack on the pk and pp; and fewest outright regulation wins in the league....this team is Edmonton Oilers, Dallas Eakins, bad....we deserve a top three pick as a reward for just having to watch this night after night.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Boy, when you look at the stats, there's only conclusion you can draw....this is a bad, bad hockey team....near the bottom on possession numbers; dead last in faceoffs won; near the bottom of pack on the pk and pp; and fewest outright regulation wins in the league....this team is Edmonton Oilers, Dallas Eakins, bad....we deserve a top three pick as a reward for just having to watch this night after night.

Ironically, I think Eakins would have been a good replacement for AV. He had the same demeanor and has a very good track record in the AHL. He also coaches a fast-paced offensive style game, which is what the Canucks were playing at the end of 2012. We still had some solid players who could play that game and we had plenty of speed to spare in Kesler, Hansen, Raymond and Booth.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Benning said he wont tank. That scares me at the deadline

Meaning he'll never openly talk about tanking, kind of like 99% of other GMs in league history, though it is routinely done. Come to think of it, someone from the 84 Pens management was the only guy that I recall coming close to explicitly admitting tanking, decades after the fact. It really shouldn't be hard to understand why this is so. You know, integrity of the sport and all that.

Problem is our division is so bloody weak we're still in it, despite the abysmal ROW, and could gain ground when healthy. It will probably come down to the wire. Who cares what anybody says, if they're trading for mostly futures the tank will be official as far as present company is concerned.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
Well I hope Benning can continue with his seemingly good drafting, despite some opinions of Virtanen, as we're headed for some quality picks. At least he seems to be good at 1/3rd of his job.

Did you see that game last night? That was one of the worst NHL games I've ever watched!!

Last edited:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Problem is our division is so bloody weak we're still in it, despite the abysmal ROW, and could gain ground when healthy. It will probably come down to the wire. Who cares what anybody says, if they're trading for mostly futures the tank will be official as far as present company is concerned.

If the Canucks had a little more depth, or a Ryan Kesler for example, this would be a great year to go all-in for the cup. Anaheim and San Jose are close to being out of the playoff picture. But since we made our bed so early, now's not the time to contend.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Boy, when you look at the stats, there's only one conclusion you can draw....this is a bad, bad hockey team....near the bottom on possession numbers; dead last in faceoffs won; near the bottom of pack on the pk and pp; and fewest outright regulation wins in the league....this team is Edmonton Oilers, Dallas Eakins, bad....we deserve a top three pick as a reward for just having to watch this night after night.

Nowhere as bad as that when healthy, but scoring is a huge problem again. Burr and Higgins are offensive black holes.

A decent tank oriented trade deadline day could be the difference between 5 draft slots.

Deserve has nothing to do with it. :(

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nowhere as bad as that when healthy, but scoring is a huge problem again. Burr and Higgins are offensive black holes.

A decent tank oriented trade deadline day could be the difference between 5 draft slots.

Deserve has nothing to do with it. :(

Was only thinking of the long-suffering Canuck faithful....they deserve an Austin Matthews or a Connor McDavid...."remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best thing and no good thing never dies."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad