The Talk About The Team We Have Instead of Things That Happened In the Past Thread

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Sabres' first goal is simple: changing their attitude and...

Sabres’ first goal is simple: changing their attitude and approach

GettyImages-936053134-1024x718.jpg

By John Vogl

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Even in the best of times, tension can be an uninvited guest to the locker room. Alpha males are bound to clash about something, especially when there’s 25 hanging around each other for eight months straight.

As anyone who’s seen the Buffalo Sabres knows, it hasn’t been the best of times. Three last-place finishes in five years made people angry, dismayed or apathetic. The atmosphere reflected that.
In 2016-17, there was a major disconnect between Dan Bylsma and the players. Tim Murray acknowledged how serious it was by saying he wished the coach would grab a coffee and talk with the guys instead of showing them another hour of video. The general manager and coach were let go shortly thereafter.

Last season, the players brought about their own problems. Some flat-out didn’t care about winning or losing. The ones who cared felt betrayed. Phil Housley had his own worries as a first-time head coach.

The Sabres insist their inglorious past is behind them.

“You’ll see a different group and a different group of guys with the way we conduct ourselves, the way we handle ourselves,” center Jack Eichel said Thursday. “I think that’s our first goal.”

Reactions: zuikan

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
can't wait for monday to see them skate, even though it doesn't count. i'll soon be looking at tickets for when they come here to tampa.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I don't hate pominville as the 4th rw. Those aren't minutes we need a young guy in

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Pominville is a real mind ****. I love the guy and want him here and succeeding. Then you watch him actually play and you wanna shoot him to the sun...

According to him and Rivet yesterday Pomms reported to camp at 7.1% body fat. He's still in shape. Didn't hear anything else about what he did to improve over the summer like with Kyle though.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I don't hate pominville as the 4th rw. Those aren't minutes we need a young guy in
I would argue those are exactly the minutes we need a young -- and fast, and physical -- guy in.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
There are a ton of storylines to follow to start the season:

- how does Dahlin play and how does he effect the d corps
- can Bogo stay healthy and what does he add
-how do they utilize Risto
-the 3rd pair, is it MCCabe, does Guhle earn a spot, is Beauleau punted and who plays 3rd pair RD
-can Hutton and Ulmark provide more consistent goaltending
-how do Skinner and Sheary fit in offensively
- can Mitts grab the 2nd line C and run with it
- can Thompson, Asplund, Nylander legit push for spots
-is Okposo healthy and can he add more to the attack this season
-it is Jack's team now, how does he respond
- what has Housley learned and what can he implement with a revamped lineup

I'm excited to see how it all plays out
How dare you look forward to the season?!?

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I'm as sure as anything I've ever been before that this year's team will be a huge improvement over last year's team. They will win a lot more games and they will be infinitely more entertaining to watch. And as much as Dahlin will add to the D and the new forwards will add to the offense and the leadership, goaltending will be the single biggest improvement. No more watching the last few minutes of a close game from between clenched fingers knowing another choke job is incoming.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm as sure as anything I've ever been before that this year's team will be a huge improvement over last year's team. They will win a lot more games and they will be infinitely more entertaining to watch. And as much as Dahlin will add to the D and the new forwards will add to the offense and the leadership, goaltending will be the single biggest improvement. No more watching the last few minutes of a close game from between clenched fingers knowing another choke job is incoming.

Just having all these new guys and having guys who are known to be super competitive like Dahlin and Mitts being added to the team will hopefully inspire everyone to play harder and will the team to win instead of expect to lose - especially when we get a lead. So many games we got leads last year and you're right - you just knew failure was coming. That one Pittsburgh collapse was just pure horror.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad