The Talk About The Team We Have Instead of Things That Happened In the Past Thread

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Let's break them out.

Hopefully Reinhart gets signed soon. Lines will be interesting without him. It will be interesting to see the lines if he's not back by tomorrow but I'd rather have him on them.

Love Hutton's comments. I'm interested to see the amount of starts/split games for Hutton/Ullmark/Wedgewood/Wilcox.

We'll get early defense pairings tomorrow hopefully. Let's see who Housley has been thinking about slotting in with Dahlin first.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Let's break them out.

Hopefully Reinhart gets signed soon. Lines will be interesting without him. It will be interesting to see the lines if he's not back by tomorrow but I'd rather have him on them.

Love Hutton's comments. I'm interested to see the amount of starts/split games for Hutton/Ullmark/Wedgewood/Wilcox.

We'll get early defense pairings tomorrow hopefully. Let's see who Housley has been thinking about slotting in with Dahlin first.

So no discussions about decisions that happened this past offseason that directly impact the team THIS season?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
So no discussions about decisions that happened this past offseason that directly impact the team THIS season?

Why bother? And there's already another thread that is just pages and pages of the same discussion over and over, by pretty much the same people. I'm interested in the team we have going forward and the guys on the team now.

I'm hoping that both Sheary and Skinner find some chemistry with centers early. Hopefully skating before camp and playing in drills brings that out.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Frankly I agree with the spirit of the OP. I have no idea how people can still be griping continuously about the same stupid things.

Personally I want to see if Jack Eichel can be a playmaker instead of a scorer with some of the talent we acquired.

I also really want Nylander and Asplund to show out.

I was intrigued with Housley's comments today mentioning both Asplund and Nylander. I'm glad someone asked if he could see Asplund staying with the Sabres. Housley said he'll have an opportunity. Hopefully it's a real competition. Lots of talk about having competition for spots. They talked about that a lot last year too but this year they actually have it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I was intrigued with Housley's comments today mentioning both Asplund and Nylander. I'm glad someone asked if he could see Asplund staying with the Sabres. Housley said he'll have an opportunity. Hopefully it's a real competition. Lots of talk about having competition for spots. They talked about that a lot last year too but this year they actually have it.

I wonder how much input Housley will have on the decisions with regards to the final roster.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny

I was too actually, I think he right now could beat out most of the bottom 6, but if the oppurtunity for playing time doesn't exist; I can see him going to Rochester for a while.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
I think it will come down to what line does Berglund slot in. If he is the clear 3c I could see them sending Asplund down to the A so that he is not getting 4th line minutes. If Berglund looks like he's lost a step and is centering the 4th I could easy see Asplund in the 3c role.
Also thanks OP for making this, like you I was really getting tired reading the same arguments over and over.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think it will come down to what line does Berglund slot in. If he is the clear 3c I could see them sending Asplund down to the A so that he is not getting 4th line minutes. If Berglund looks like he's lost a step and is centering the 4th I could easy see Asplund in the 3c role.
Also thanks OP for making this, like you I was really getting tired reading the same arguments over and over.

I agree that is has a lot to do with Berglund. But I think moving Berglund to the wing is another option. Even if Asplund does start in the AHL, and Berglund is fine, Asplund's play might just make they make that move. I think Berglund would be fine in either position. Plus, it helps to have two guys who are good at faceoffs on your top "defensive" line.

Reactions: labbatt

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I am most excited to see how our bottom six fills out. I expect a good dose of competition from the prospects to crack the opening night roster.

I am also interested in seeing how Eichel steps up to the plate regarding leadership. I think he has it in him and i think he has matured a lot. I want to see it reflected in his practice.

Reactions: Dingo44

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'm curious how the team will leverage offensive zone starts. They don't really have any notable defensive stalwarts. Do they roll out offensive lines 1-2-3 and match up using their defenders? Between Eichel, Casey and Dahlin they should threaten controlled zone exit/entry for around 60% of the game. That'll be a huge load off the wingers.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I’m looking forward to watching individual players, but it’s hard to get excited about the team as a whole until there’s evidence Phil has evolved.

Well, he admitted to making mistakes last year, and agreed that he did have a different attitude coming into camp and more of an understanding about what needs to be done. He also talked about getting feedback from the players and also about how Steve Smith is going to now run the defense and the PK and Chris Hajt is now upstairs and giving feedback between periods. So I'm hopeful.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Well, he admitted to making mistakes last year, and agreed that he did have a different attitude coming into camp and more of an understanding about what needs to be done. He also talked about getting feedback from the players and also about how Steve Smith is going to now run the defense and the PK and Chris Hajt is now upstairs and giving feedback between periods. So I'm hopeful.
It remains interesting they sought out PK help considering that was the only area that had improved under Housley.

Granted, it’s mostly because they used a deeper rotation instead of defaulting to 90/55, but they needed more help everywhere else.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Reinhart being out is a big bump for Thompson/Baptiste/Bailey to show they belong. Will any of them win? Or will Pominville be out their with Eichel and Skinner? tehehehee

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It remains interesting they sought out PK help considering that was the only area that had improved under Housley.

Granted, it’s mostly because they used a deeper rotation instead of defaulting to 90/55, but they needed more help everywhere else.

I'm don't think they added Steve Smith just for PK help. I believe some of it had to do with Housley's familiarity and respect for Smith's hockey IQ and leadership based on their time together playing in Calgary (as per Phil's comments today), some of it had to do with Smith's work with the D in Carolina, and some of it might have been (probably was) an upgrade over Chris Hajt on the bench - and that includes an upgrade for the PK system - though Phil also mentioned that Hajt will still be involved with the PK as well.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
There are a ton of storylines to follow to start the season:

- how does Dahlin play and how does he effect the d corps
- can Bogo stay healthy and what does he add
-how do they utilize Risto
-the 3rd pair, is it MCCabe, does Guhle earn a spot, is Beauleau punted and who plays 3rd pair RD
-can Hutton and Ulmark provide more consistent goaltending
-how do Skinner and Sheary fit in offensively
- can Mitts grab the 2nd line C and run with it
- can Thompson, Asplund, Nylander legit push for spots
-is Okposo healthy and can he add more to the attack this season
-it is Jack's team now, how does he respond
- what has Housley learned and what can he implement with a revamped lineup

I'm excited to see how it all plays out

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Regarding the thread title:

Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think even the worst case scenario (the likes of Pominville/Sobotka/Beaulieu getting regular minutes and most of the kids in Rochester)... is still going to make for some fun hockey this season. I don't think you can have Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Skinner on a team and not get some high offense nail biters.

Especially if we get a healthy Okposo, a healthy Bogosian, Sheary, Risto and McCabe all playing to their potential too.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If we had started this thread sooner the Sabres could have traded Asplund and 1st for EK.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think even the worst case scenario (the likes of Pominville/Sobotka/Beaulieu getting regular minutes and most of the kids in Rochester)... is still going to make for some fun hockey this season. I don't think you can have Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Skinner on a team and not get some high offense nail biters.

Especially if we get a healthy Okposo, a healthy Bogosian, Sheary, Risto and McCabe all playing to their potential too.

I'm real curious to know what the heck all these guys were holding back and what they talked about - multiple players and Housley talked about not being afraid to be critical, or to show their feelings. I'm all for it but it's strange to hear. But that's good to get stuff out and work on it and get closer.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm real curious to know what the heck all these guys were holding back and what they talked about - multiple players and Housley talked about not being afraid to be critical, or to show their feelings. I'm all for it but it's strange to hear. But that's good to get stuff out and work on it and get closer.
It wouldn't shock me if (at the risk of talking about the past) there were players on the team over the years averse to criticism, or bottling up their frustrations to the point that it starts to effect their own games and how they work with eachother. Including players on the team still that have possibly matured or wised up since.

Without really knowing much about the players personally... the group this year seem like they could probably end up being tighter knit, more focused on hockey, and better for it.

EDIT: I think it all starts with giving Jack the C. He's ready. Give them someone to rally behind.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad