Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ouch. I have no idea how you do it.
Since my commute is mostly via train, I can at least fill the time with reading the paper so it doesn't feel like such a huge waste. I don't know how you make it through 6+ hours of (presumably) driving every day.

Only did it once. Chateau Subaru also helped for a night.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The longest commute I can take is 30 minutes one way. Anything more and my entire day is taken up by work/driving. Life is about living. I work to live not live to work. I have no idea on how people do it with hour commutes on the daily.

When you have no place to call home momentarily, it makes things briefly strange. Now that I have a place, even if not ideal, I can now take the bus to work and it is only 4.5 miles between my ex and I.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Congrats on the apt.!!! From your fb post, it looks really spacious, but I honestly couldn't see how big it is because of the giant grin in the field of view!!!

Thanks! If I include the lanai I think it’s about 1300 ft.². It is enough to fit my grin and both chins. :biglaugh:

I am endlessly amused by my aunt. Here I am struggling to make it, I got a new place and I am clearly thrilled, taking a picture moments after taking possession of the keys and she’s saying that it looks awfully empty. To telling on myself, I actually did not friend her on Facebook for about seven years because she has the snack for saying the thing that just kills the room. She could find a pile of shit in a room filled with Krugerrands. It never fails. I assume when next I post something to celebrate (say a new job), her reaction will be about how much money it is or the general money-making capacity of the field being inferior.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
From your note I think you know this, but there should be a credit from the seller to you on the closing statement for 10-11 months of 2019 for the taxes due in November.

The following applies to the state I live in. Don't know about Florida.
1. You are not required to pay property taxes or homeowners insurance through an escrow account.
2. Property taxes can only be appealed during certain calendar window. There's a defined process. Submit appeal, provide documentation / rationale, have hearing / ruling, new bill (revised or unchanged) issued.

My personal guidance:
>I've successfully appealed property tax increase on an undeveloped lot due to area-wide revaluation in a boom market. It was well worth the time/effort.
>I've never carried an escrow account, because I've always had the cash flow. But I understand the "peace of mind" it brings. Current home has an escrow account because my wife bought it before we were married. Recognize that peace of mind comes at a cost from the lender in terms of a few extra bucks a month in your payment to ensure the account will always have enough on hand when the (typically) annual insurance & tax payments are made.
>I would not close without an accurate settlement statement. If you're using an attorney, they can revise on in a half-day. If you or the seller have a realtor, they too should push for that to happen. It's part of what you and/or the seller are paying for in your realtor / attorney fees.

Our loan cleared and we are closing tomorrow. The tax is as accurate as it can be at this point (it's basically the high end of the estimate of the range given for the lot and selling cost). I was going to try to get them to do a smaller escrow (they pay tax in Nov for the following year vs paying in March when its actually due), but with our moving trucks rolling in next week, we basically ran out of time due to the earlier appraisal shenanigans that ate up three weeks of time, so we are choosing simply get a good chunk of that cash back when the tax bill comes in lower than we put in for escrow. Once the wife and I are established a bit, we will probably look at refinancing with a different bank as this one was a nightmare to deal with.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Our loan cleared and we are closing tomorrow. The tax is as accurate as it can be at this point (it's basically the high end of the estimate of the range given for the lot and selling cost). I was going to try to get them to do a smaller escrow (they pay tax in Nov for the following year vs paying in March when its actually due), but with our moving trucks rolling in next week, we basically ran out of time due to the earlier appraisal shenanigans that ate up three weeks of time, so we are choosing simply get a good chunk of that cash back when the tax bill comes in lower than we put in for escrow. Once the wife and I are established a bit, we will probably look at refinancing with a different bank as this one was a nightmare to deal with.

CONGRATS!!!!

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Phenomenal news: The baby arrived at 3:53 this morning. Teared up a few times just looking at him. He's small, only 6lb 2ozs, but pretty healthy otherwise.

Discouraging news: I had my evaluation at work today. I'm an equipment manager on a CICU, which is actually one floor above where my wife gave birth.

Anyways, it didnt go as well as I hoped. I was on a 6 month probationary period since being hired. The Nurse Manager pretty much said I'm a hard worker, but I'm not grasping all the equipment well enough, so shes putting me in a 1 month extended probationary period to see if I can grasp it.

The thing is, there's literally no training in this field, which I'm used to since I've worked in a healthcare prior to this job, so I assumed there would be a bit of leeway with the learning curve. Apparently not, and it sucks. We all want to be viewed as a valued employee, and I came out of that Eval feeling like I'm a bit if a burden.

Unfortunately the nurse manager doesn't have time to understand my day-to-day operations. I oversee another 5 units, which aren't as vital as the cicu, and those nurse managers seem to love me. I get everything and anything they ask for complete.

Apparently, the guy the CICU had before the previous guy(who left after a year) had been with the hospital for 30 years, and left some big shoes to fill. I dont think my CICU Nurse Manager understands the learning curve.

Regardless, it makes me nervous that I'm on another probationary period with a newborn baby. I've never been fired from a job, and I doubt I'd get fired from this one. I actually received a 'meets expectations' rating.

All I can do is grind hard. Still, a bit discouraging and nerve wracking not knowing the future. My wife thinks I'm overthinking it, but I'm still a bit worried.

Sorry for the long rant. I'm at a hospital with nothing better to do than hold this precious boy and rant to you fools!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Phenomenal news: The baby arrived at 3:53 this morning. Teared up a few times just looking at him. He's small, only 6lb 2ozs, but pretty healthy otherwise.

Discouraging news: I had my evaluation at work today. I'm an equipment manager on a CICU, which is actually one floor above where my wife gave birth.

Anyways, it didnt go as well as I hoped. I was on a 6 month probationary period since being hired. The Nurse Manager pretty much said I'm a hard worker, but I'm not grasping all the equipment well enough, so shes putting me in a 1 month extended probationary period to see if I can grasp it.

The thing is, there's literally no training in this field, which I'm used to since I've worked in a healthcare prior to this job, so I assumed there would be a bit of leeway with the learning curve. Apparently not, and it sucks. We all want to be viewed as a valued employee, and I came out of that Eval feeling like I'm a bit if a burden.

Unfortunately the nurse manager doesn't have time to understand my day-to-day operations. I oversee another 5 units, which aren't as vital as the cicu, and those nurse managers seem to love me. I get everything and anything they ask for complete.

Apparently, the guy the CICU had before the previous guy(who left after a year) had been with the hospital for 30 years, and left some big shoes to fill. I dont think my CICU Nurse Manager understands the learning curve.

Regardless, it makes me nervous that I'm on another probationary period with a newborn baby. I've never been fired from a job, and I doubt I'd get fired from this one. I actually received a 'meets expectations' rating.

All I can do is grind hard. Still, a bit discouraging and nerve wracking not knowing the future. My wife thinks I'm overthinking it, but I'm still a bit worried.

Sorry for the long rant. I'm at a hospital with nothing better to do than hold this precious boy and rant to you fools!

First of all, congratulations! I hope your wife and the new addition are both doing well. The best piece of advice I ever got around parenting at the outset : when the baby sleeps, so should she. Resting baby is not the time to catch up on housework or read emails or do anything but rest. When the child picks up on the mom‘s state of mind it’s no fun for anyone. And they always do!

As for the evaluation, I think being in communication with your supervisor who did the evaluation is probably a good first step. Communicate that you want to learn the equipment and meet the expectations and that you have a concern with the arrival of new baby that your performance could be impacted. Be upfront.

I’ve worked somewhere where I was regularly getting excellent reviews and after changing managers and not doing anything different got the worst review and evaluation of my professional career. Sometimes it’s a personality thing where it doesn’t matter what you do. Sometimes it’s a communication issue: the boss that I was getting great reviews from I flat out asked what she wanted for me to get a great review and that’s what I gave her. The one who wanted to fire me? Never answered my question about why I was getting the review grade that I got nor what I could do to improve that grade. She sucked as a manager, tend to operate in here say in various positions including when she was managing me and prior. She was really good at terminating staff which ingratiated her to her superiors who are consistently looking to cut payroll. That? That she was good at.

Last edited:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006

Congratulations and best wishes for you and wife and baby! As to other issue--I agree with Chain--talk to supervisor and to people she talks to who give her the feedback that informs her opinions. Sounds like you have the right attitude and that goes one heck of a long way.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

There should be a training checklist of the skills / tasks you need for the job, with training / certification either obtained OJT, or prior to you being allowed to perform certain tasks or operate certain equipment (likely a combination of pre-certification and OJT).

And, there should be an agreed-to-plan and schedule as to how you obtain that training and certification. e.g., what days / shifts? will training be done on non-work shifts, or squeezed into your working shifts?, will training be group sessions or 1-on-1? who is training you on each task? what are the standards / tests required to demonstrate competency.

Any organization which lacks that level of detail doesn't have a true training plan.
Any organization which doesn't see training as a 50/50 responsibility between employee and trainer doesn't have a true training plan.
Any organization which lacks a recurring or ad-hoc recertification test or audit isn't serious about maintaining safety / skills.

But, more importantly, congratulations on the baby. They don't come with training plans or checklists either. But, that's OK :)

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007

Congrats to you folks on your boy. Nothing tops being a dad for the first time.

Hope things work out for you at the job. It's a shame that your evaluation detracts from what should be a time of pure satisfaction for you. Don't the managers of the other 5 units have any say in your evaluation?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So my son was with my ex for his usual time allotment and in the space of me moving, a few days extra. He sprouted about 2 inches. I expect he'll clear me in height in the next year at this rate.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
First of all, congratulations! I hope your wife and the new addition are both doing well. The best piece of advice I ever got around parenting at the outset : when the baby sleeps, so should she. Resting baby is not the time to catch up on housework or read emails or do anything but rest. When the child picks up on the mom‘s state of mind it’s no fun for anyone. And they always do!

As for the evaluation, I think being in communication with your supervisor who did the evaluation is probably a good first step. Communicate that you want to learn the equipment and meet the expectations and that you have a concern with the arrival of new baby that your performance could be impacted. Be upfront.

I’ve worked somewhere where I was regularly getting excellent reviews and after changing managers and not doing anything different got the worst review and evaluation of my professional career. Sometimes it’s a personality thing where it doesn’t matter what you do. Sometimes it’s a communication issue: the boss that I was getting great reviews from I flat out asked what she wanted for me to get a great review and that’s what I gave her. The one who wanted to fire me? Never answered my question about why I was getting the review grade that I got nor what I could do to improve that grade. She sucked as a manager, tend to operate in here say in various positions including when she was managing me and prior. She was really good at terminating staff which ingratiated her to her superiors who are consistently looking to cut payroll. That? That she was good at.
She admitted there isnt really any training for the role I'm in, and that she isnt really available to help me because she's so busy. Working in a CICU is different than other places because you really have to be self sufficient. Nurse managers are are all over the place.

I will say, we had a good talk. I expressed my feelings, and we came to an understanding. Hopefully she gives a bit more leeway.

Congrats to you folks on your boy. Nothing tops being a dad for the first time.

Hope things work out for you at the job. It's a shame that your evaluation detracts from what should be a time of pure satisfaction for you. Don't the managers of the other 5 units have any say in your evaluation?
That's what annoyed me the most..I dont think she asked any of the other Nurse Managers hownive been doing.

There should be a training checklist of the skills / tasks you need for the job, with training / certification either obtained OJT, or prior to you being allowed to perform certain tasks or operate certain equipment (likely a combination of pre-certification and OJT).

And, there should be an agreed-to-plan and schedule as to how you obtain that training and certification. e.g., what days / shifts? will training be done on non-work shifts, or squeezed into your working shifts?, will training be group sessions or 1-on-1? who is training you on each task? what are the standards / tests required to demonstrate competency.

Any organization which lacks that level of detail doesn't have a true training plan.
Any organization which doesn't see training as a 50/50 responsibility between employee and trainer doesn't have a true training plan.
Any organization which lacks a recurring or ad-hoc recertification test or audit isn't serious about maintaining safety / skills.

But, more importantly, congratulations on the baby. They don't come with training plans or checklists either. But, that's OK :)
There isnt any training. She told me I need to contact reps and ask nurses to join them on education material. There's very little guidance. I need to have a lot of intuitive. It's tough on the CICU because nurse are crazy busy. To be clear, I dont use the equipment at all, but she wants me to be a guru with the equipment, which i feel like I've learned a lot. Not the best environment to learn in, but I expected it to be tough since I've work in surgery centers before.

Last edited:

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Congrats Dubi, Doak, and Chain!

We’re a week past our original closing date, but it sounds like the stalled process is going to start moving again. Hopefully we close next week, while we are in Vegas.

Also, Vegas next week is mid 80’s all sun. Much needed kid free vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad