OT: On this episode of Days of the OT..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
BRB. Laughing at Taylor Pyatt and Dan Paille being on the Sabres Alumni team in NHL 20, while lacking the French Connection, Hasek, Ray.

[I know it's a voluntary thing for each individual, but really? Just do what the old 2k7 game did and have player numbers as their name so we can edit them]

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, I survived my first game back in goal after a long layoff.

I did notice one of my sticks was broken before the game. I was trying to resist the urge to buy a new stick and live with my old, heavy SherWood lumber. But, given the situation and the fact that I am getting a good deal from an RIT goalie on two sticks, I will be going with modern twigs next week.

I also need to see if Pure Hockey will bake my skates as they dug into the inside of both of my ankles and rubbed them raw.

My team played well in front of me outside of my defenseman who had that nice tip to put the other team's second goal in the top corner...

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So, I survived my first game back in goal after a long layoff.

I did notice one of my sticks was broken before the game. I was trying to resist the urge to buy a new stick and live with my old, heavy SherWood lumber. But, given the situation and the fact that I am getting a good deal from an RIT goalie on two sticks, I will be going with modern twigs next week.

I also need to see if Pure Hockey will bake my skates as they dug into the inside of both of my ankles and rubbed them raw.

My team played well in front of me outside of my defenseman who had that nice tip to put the other team's second goal in the top corner...

I played a lot of goalie when I was younger at the rink, pond, deck, street... Now the last couple years I've played keeper for outdoor and indoor soccer (something I just got into because I always wanted to try when I was in HS). Being an untrained soccer player, it's funny to me how I get by with raw athleticism sprinkled with the habits of playing as a hockey goalie. I constantly find myself going butterfly when I should be staying more upright with my feet closer. None of the soccer players out there see how I'm playing keeper as a goalie...but I know the subtle differences. Seems to work though, since guys can't go top shelf in tight with their foot so easily, despite an 8' high goal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So my transient life continues, but I start my job at UF tomorrow. I had a moment today, where one of the many, many transients in town was holding his sign at the I75 interchange and I realized I have some groceries that will likely go bad before I'm into a new place. I gave him a small bag of groceries (not much, half a loaf of bread, an open jar of jam, some grape tomatoes, a bottle of water just because). Once I get up on my feet, I'm going to go back to volunteering at one of the services that makes lunches for our marginal folks here in town - Gainesville has a high population because it is both not harsh on panhandling and it has a robust volunteer structure that helps the marginally homeless get back up on their feet already.

It knocked both of us in the feels.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hanging out in SFO waiting for the redeye back to newark.

Really like the company, interview went well save for the coding section (i had the logic down just couldn't translate it full to code in the time allotted). Nailed the architecture and troubleshooting part of the interview. Got along real well with the guy who would be my boss. Was supposed to meet with a member of leadership but he was pulled into a fire and didn't get it, will do it remotely soon-ish. Hoping things work out, would be a nice change from the negativity coming from my current gig (as well as a long overdue bump in pay)

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Buying houses is awful.

Our appraisal on the new house came back low. Like 6% below sale price. Considering we are only putting 5% down (yay physician loans!)...this is a bit of a problem for us. However, the appraisal is bad. The listed SF was 2864. Appraiser came back with 2783, or a gap of 81 sqft, roughly. Our builder challenged the appraisal, provided them with blueprints and surveys, appraiser stands firm. We finally get the measurements and math from him, and its fairly obvious how he messed it up. He had assumed a straight line from one corner to another when in fact it was 2-3 feet different over 37 linear feet, even if you estimate low, it's 74 feet, pretty much getting us to the stated SF.

The seller/builder basically has taken this as a personal insult to their build quality at this point. The owner of the company takes a 3rd party surveyor out to the site with him. They hand measure each wall and generate a brand new CAD drawing. The SF is actually higher than the blueprint due to where the garage/living area wall is (I guess they had to shift it slightly?) bringing us to a total 2930 SF. The owner has the 3rd party and himself both stamp it with a state of Florida PE stamp.

The bank, as of right now, still won't even grant us a second appraisal. My loan officer and her boss are appealing the banks own internal processes and we won't hear back on a 2nd appraisal until friday. We are supposed to close next Friday (which is of the window at this point barring some miracle). We are hoping it will all wrap the next weeks as the movers are packing it up on 9/22 and unload on 9/25.

On top of all this, my current landlord hasn't filled our townhouse for October which we are breaking lease on, so he's claiming we have to pay rent on it after we vacate until it's filled. So we're calling a lawyer as well as he told us the terms of breaking the lease were 60 days notice and 1 months rent (which we've already satisfied). He's a real cheap ******* who has lied to us several times in the 15 months we've lived here and we'd rather pay the lawyer than give him another dime.

Also I am flying to SF for a job interview on Sunday and redeye back Monday night. Weeeeeeeeee

That is really stressful! My sister is going through similar things with her first home purchase.

Me on the other hand am just renting away and refusing to buy haha

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
My love life has been a whirlwind, 2019 has eaten me apart, I'm 25 and used to being with a lot of teenagers, and this year I was just OK with dating thirty year olds .. It's just hard going to the rink in the morning after meeting with all these 30 year olds and 40 year olds. It's just not been the same, I'm used to being with 20 year olds, and this year has taken a toll on me and changed the way I see myself.. and my efforts.. my contributions.. but it wasn't enough. We could have been done better. I could have done better, actually there's... been times in 2019.. that.. that I lost my love of older women.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franson

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Work position change means I get weekends off (military, we change positions frequently). Yay!

Kid's weekend model tournament team practices: not so fast......

Reactions: EichHart

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, I had a really busy and less than relaxing weekend.

Did my first CrossFit comp on Saturday. I usually do three workouts a week. And on Saturday I did four in one day. It was fun. But it's certainly not something that I am going to do on the regular. I'm too old for that stuff.

Then yesterday we had church and it was the first week that I was helping run a middle school small group. Then I had to run errands. Then we went out to dinner for my half-brother's birthday. And then I had a hockey game last night at 9pm.

I appreciate the guys at Pure Hockey that didn't take my $20 and bake my skates to see if it would help the rubbing on the inside of my ankles when they weren't convinced it would help that much.

Playing with a composite goalie stick for the first time was really nice. The Bauer Supreme 2S goalie stick is pretty sweet, IMO.

And I hope the scorekeeper talking to me after the game because the roster said my number was #4 for some reason wasn't because they feel like I'm too good for the league. I'm having fun in net and I felt like I wasn't as good as the other goalie last week and only a little better than the other goalie last night.

I will appreciate it when my jersey for the team comes in so that they don't think I'm a sub.

Reactions: EichHart

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Welp, one piece of stress is gone. The landlord found a tenant to start Oct 1.

Since he's a grade A POS, afterwards I informed him I needed a letter from him for the bank doing my mortgage, basically stating i gave adequate notice and paid the buyout section of my lease. He gave me the letter, but not without a passive aggressive section in it stating that if he had NOT found a tenant, we would have continue to pay rent, but since he did we do not.

And, just because it couldn't be closing without a little bit of drama, the bank had the amount of escrow wrong on property taxes. So rather than pay 2 months up front, we have to pay 13(!!). If we could close in Oct, we'd only have to pay 2. It has to due with the property taxes being due in Nov in full. It ends up taking an extra few thousand out of our reserve. Oh and the property taxes are probably 200 a month too high based on the other homes in the area, so that's 2600 we are basically loaning the bank when it gets corrected in a few months. Ain't buying homes fun?

Reactions: Jim Bob

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey

Since he's a grade A POS, afterwards I informed him I needed a letter from him for the bank doing my mortgage, basically stating i gave adequate notice and paid the buyout section of my lease. He gave me the letter, but not without a passive aggressive section in it stating that if he had NOT found a tenant, we would have continue to pay rent, but since he did we do not.

And, just because it couldn't be closing without a little bit of drama, the bank had the amount of escrow wrong on property taxes. So rather than pay 2 months up front, we have to pay 13(!!). If we could close in Oct, we'd only have to pay 2. It has to due with the property taxes being due in Nov in full. It ends up taking an extra few thousand out of our reserve. Oh and the property taxes are probably 200 a month too high based on the other homes in the area, so that's 2600 we are basically loaning the bank when it gets corrected in a few months. Ain't buying homes fun?
We’re still trying to sell the house in Indiana, that we haven’t been in since November ‘18. After our first buyer backed out to a minor foundation issue (common in lake houses), we found a second buyer that made an “as-is” offer, we disclosed everything and were very transparent. Last week, a week from closing, we hear that her bank’s underwriter wont sign off on the loan, without the foundation being fixed. Even though we don’t need to pay for any of the repair, we might contribute to it, if it gets the process moving again. We just want the house sold and to be done with the hassle.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If we are all talking better housing stories, I spent a week living at an Airbnb, and part of last week at my parents house, and then I drove three hours to look at what turned out to be a shit hole of a house here in Gainesville and then stayed overnight.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If we are all talking better housing stories, I spent a week living at an Airbnb, and part of last week at my parents house, and then I drove three hours to look at what turned out to be a **** hole of a house here in Gainesville and then stayed overnight.

That sucks.

I was lucky during my transition time to live with my dad until I found and apartment and things have been relatively smooth since then.

Although, the two places I lived in before we bought our house did leave plenty to be desired. That does seem to be par for the rental course.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

From your note I think you know this, but there should be a credit from the seller to you on the closing statement for 10-11 months of 2019 for the taxes due in November.

The following applies to the state I live in. Don't know about Florida.
1. You are not required to pay property taxes or homeowners insurance through an escrow account.
2. Property taxes can only be appealed during certain calendar window. There's a defined process. Submit appeal, provide documentation / rationale, have hearing / ruling, new bill (revised or unchanged) issued.

My personal guidance:
>I've successfully appealed property tax increase on an undeveloped lot due to area-wide revaluation in a boom market. It was well worth the time/effort.
>I've never carried an escrow account, because I've always had the cash flow. But I understand the "peace of mind" it brings. Current home has an escrow account because my wife bought it before we were married. Recognize that peace of mind comes at a cost from the lender in terms of a few extra bucks a month in your payment to ensure the account will always have enough on hand when the (typically) annual insurance & tax payments are made.
>I would not close without an accurate settlement statement. If you're using an attorney, they can revise on in a half-day. If you or the seller have a realtor, they too should push for that to happen. It's part of what you and/or the seller are paying for in your realtor / attorney fees.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That sucks.

I was lucky during my transition time to live with my dad until I found and apartment and things have been relatively smooth since then.

Although, the two places I lived in before we bought our house did leave plenty to be desired. That does seem to be par for the rental course.

My parents are happy to host me, but the commute is killer.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So I have a place that is a recently remodeled 2x2. I can almost fit two of my old on campus apartments inside this one. Hell I think the closets alone are close to what I add at the other place. It isn’t perfect because it’s not a three bedroom, but in the short term the kids can have the bedrooms full-time when they’re here. The upside is as the complex remodels, I am second on the list for a 3x2 here. The next one is available in November and if the person reserving it doesn’t take it it will be mine.

Reactions: brian_griffin

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It’s about three hours one way on a good day.

Ouch. I have no idea how you do it.
Since my commute is mostly via train, I can at least fill the time with reading the paper so it doesn't feel like such a huge waste. I don't know how you make it through 6+ hours of (presumably) driving every day.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
The longest commute I can take is 30 minutes one way. Anything more and my entire day is taken up by work/driving. Life is about living. I work to live not live to work. I have no idea on how people do it with hour commutes on the daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad