The success of the Hawks without their captain, Jonathan Toews

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
They're definitely not "lighting the world on fire", nobody is saying they are. But they're way better than many expected or realize, and they're much better than "treading water" as of late. I'm pretty sure they're like 8-2-2 in their past 12 or something like that. That's pretty good. And they've beaten Dallas twice, Carolina twice, the Jackets(who are still a decent team), etc. Its not like they're only able to beat DET....

After 20 games (over 1/3 the season) they are in the mushy middle of the league, but fair points. :) It's probably too early to draw any meaningful conclusion on a team like Chicago, but I'm struggling with the idea they are better off without a guy who would still be their top centre.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think it's safe to say, after 3 cups and 15 seasons, they don't really need their captain. They are doing really well without him with the emergence of the young guys stepping up. Kane should be on the top line all the time, he's just too valuable to them to not be on it. This is Kane's team. He makes his linemates that much better. DeBrincat is a PPG so far this year - 18pts in 15 games. Kane is emerging DeBrincat into a star just like he did with Panarin.

I think if they can shop Toews and get picks for him, the Hawks would be in better shape to dump his cap hit and get younger at the same time. Does Toews make them a better team? Of course. But for 11M? No.

Lankinen and Suter are real gems with high ceilings, Lankinen is a clear upgrade from the legend Crawford. Janmark and Zadorov are solid pick ups. Kubalik is very good and Strome, Kurashav, Hagel, Boqvist are getting better.

DeBrincat - Suter - Kane
Hagel - Strome - Kubalik
Kurashev - Soderberg - Janmark
Carpenter - Kampf - Boqvist

Keith - Mitchell
de Haan - Carlsson
Zadorov - Beaudin

Lankinen
Subban

DeBrincat is not a product of Kane. The same way Panarin was not a product of Kane. Great players play better with other great players.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
This team won’t make the playoffs. The southeast division invaded. The three teams from that division are light years better than the rest of the central, and the Hawks simply are not going to fend off St. Louis and Dallas for the last spot.

Not having Toews is A problem. But our defense sucks colossal donkey dong. Unless Lankinen wins the Vezina, this is all window dressing.

We still have damned near an entire rookie class on the blue line.

Toews out. Dach out. Nylander out. Shaw out. Sea took out. Murphy out. Sure I’m missing more.

I can guarantee St. Louis won't make the playoffs over us in the central.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Toews is still excellent for them and it's a big loss. Good teams with good players step up when injury occurs and take advantage of opportunities.

Hawks fans definitely want Toews back asap, but yes it's been a fun ride for them so far. Patty Kane is superb.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think it's safe to say, after 3 cups and 15 seasons, they don't really need their captain. They are doing really well without him with the emergence of the young guys stepping up. Kane should be on the top line all the time, he's just too valuable to them to not be on it. This is Kane's team. He makes his linemates that much better. DeBrincat is a PPG so far this year - 18pts in 15 games. Kane is emerging DeBrincat into a star just like he did with Panarin.

I think if they can shop Toews and get picks for him, the Hawks would be in better shape to dump his cap hit and get younger at the same time. Does Toews make them a better team? Of course. But for 11M? No.

Lankinen and Suter are real gems with high ceilings, Lankinen is a clear upgrade from the legend Crawford. Janmark and Zadorov are solid pick ups. Kubalik is very good and Strome, Kurashav, Hagel, Boqvist are getting better.

DeBrincat - Suter - Kane
Hagel - Strome - Kubalik

Keith - Mitchell
de Haan - Carlsson
Zadorov - Beaudin

Lankinen
Subban

There is so much wrong with that statement thou...

DeBrincat is a star by himself, he is the player who
drives the play on that line (from the neutral zone), does the hard work without the puck,
back checks and more, makes the first play with the puck,
from neutral zone to offensive zone, mostly to Kane.

Reactions: wahsnairb

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
After watching their start to the season, Toews and his super serious shtick might have held the Hawks back all along. If they'd picked a proven playoff performer like Kessel or Bäckström instead of him, I think there's a good chance they have more cups right now since their young guns seem to really thrive in a more relaxed environment while between 2010 and 2015, the Hawks relied too much on their old core, so they were tired and possibly not hungry enough in the playoffs in 2011, 12, 14 and 16. After that, they could have had the young talent that they would have developed in that scenario take over instead of tearing it down.

Just food for thought.

CST2010.jpg

This guy isn't a proven playoff performer??? What in the.......

He has the 5th most playoff points since his rookie year... better PPG than Kessel + Backstrom as well. :facepalm:

As for OP... we aren't trading Toews. Period.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

DeBrincat - Suter - Kane
Hagel - Strome - Kubalik

Keith - Mitchell
de Haan - Carlsson
Zadorov - Beaudin

Lankinen
Subban

Do you really think anybody is going to eat that salary? Toews (and Kane for that matter), were rewarded their salaries for past production. I other words, they earned them from Chicago.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
There's a new guy in Chicago-town (Windy City) by the name of Lankinen ... the, Finland-goalie ya know, and nobody in the league (NHL) blow-out Chicago Blackhawks when he stands fast and seems to be solid as a rock. A true winner, and Worldchampion!
Capture4.jpg

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Toews out
Dach out
Shaw out
Nylander out
Debrincat was out
Murphy was out
among others

but they are 10-3-4 since giving Lankinen a shot. Delia and Subban had a combined .860 save% in their 0-3 first few games

The team isn’t good right now with all of the above missing, but the players/“supporting cast” this year is incredible. Their euros are very good. They are running 3-4 rookie D every night so if they develop from that and all of the above return to the lineup, they can be very good again NEXT season.

As for the OP, the Hawks would obviously be even better with Toews back (and everyone else). Them winning without him doesn’t make him a piece they move, that’s silly.

Reactions: Crow and AzHawk

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019

DeBrincat - Suter - Kane
Hagel - Strome - Kubalik

Keith - Mitchell
de Haan - Carlsson
Zadorov - Beaudin

Lankinen
Subban

I think you’re getting a bit ahead of yourself here. Hawks definitely playing better than expected but this is an odd year. Kane is on the back nine, Toews situation up in the air. They have a ways to go.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I think you’re getting a bit ahead of yourself here. Hawks definitely playing better than expected but this is an odd year. Kane is on the back nine, Toews situation up in the air. They have a ways to go.

If Kane is on the back 9, he is on hole 10.

He is coming off his 2 best seasons ever (statistically) and 123 point pace this season so far.

Reactions: AzHawk

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The reason why Hawks "haven't needed" Toews and the rest, is because, even on paper
Hawks are actually good and playing accordingly
- people really should watch more Hawks games, sure...probably should miss the last game lol.

Janmark, Söderberg, Suter, Zadorov are all really good off season additions, would be to any team really.

The new comer youth have been a revelation; F Hagel, F Kurashev, D Mitchell, D Beaudin.

Keith has gotten some of his old mojo back.
Murphy has risen to one of the top all around d-men to this league.
- what? i know...

Lankinen was a star goalie in Finland for his last two years here, was a star goalie at worlds,
it just took him a season to adjust to the NA style of play.
- Subban was a solid back up in Vegas, as he has been for Hawks this season
after he got his confidence back

and add those to these :

Kane, DeBrincat, Kubalik, Boqvist, de Haan, Strome, Kämpf, Shaw, Carpenter

a far away from a bottom feeder / bad roster to begin with

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Blackhawks would LOVE to have Toews (and Dach) right now.

There currently have a:

47.33 CF% (3rd worst in the league)

47.22 SF% (2nd worst in the league)

44.29 5v5 GF% (5th worst in the league)

45.68 xGF% (4th worst in the league)

What they do have is fantastic goaltending thus far, and a white hot powerplay (and, of late, a good PK as well). In a shortened season, maybe both stay hot enough to carry them into the playoffs, but they are by no means a good team right now... no team would be very good removing their top 2 centers, and 2 of their top 5 best players. Combine that with a number of young D getting lots of minutes, it's not surprising this team is kind of a disaster when it comes to controlling the puck.

There isn't a planet where losing Jonathan Toews helps the Blackhawks. If he was ready to come back tomorrow, the team and the fans would be thrilled.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The Blackhawks would LOVE to have Toews (and Dach) right now.

There currently have a:

47.33 CF% (3rd worst in the league)

47.22 SF% (2nd worst in the league)

44.29 5v5 GF% (5th worst in the league)

45.68 xGF% (4th worst in the league)

What they do have is fantastic goaltending thus far, and a white hot powerplay (and, of late, a good PK as well). In a shortened season, maybe both stay hot enough to carry them into the playoffs, but they are by no means a good team right now... no team would be very good removing their top 2 centers, and 2 of their top 5 best players. Combine that with a number of young D getting lots of minutes, it's not surprising this team is kind of a disaster when it comes to controlling the puck.

There isn't a planet where losing Jonathan Toews helps the Blackhawks. If he was ready to come back tomorrow, the team and the fans would be thrilled.

I don't believe in those stats at all.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
Let's check back in after this stretch of games:
242021-03-048:00 PMTampa Bay Lightning
252021-03-058:00 PMTampa Bay Lightning
262021-03-072:30 PMTampa Bay Lightning
272021-03-098:30 PM@Dallas Stars
282021-03-118:30 PM@Dallas Stars
292021-03-137:00 PM@Florida Panthers
302021-03-157:00 PM@Florida Panthers
312021-03-187:00 PM@Tampa Bay Lightning
322021-03-204:00 PM@Tampa Bay Lightning
332021-03-238:00 PMFlorida Panthers
342021-03-258:00 PMFlorida Panthers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Welp
2-5-1
Out of a playoff spot

Reactions: tucker3434

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Welp
2-5-1
Out of a playoff spot
Next 2 vs Dallas is key for them then I think their April opens up better. Their March downfall was well known vs many games vs the top 2. It's just a matter of how many points and wins vs Dallas and Carolina can they steal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad