Post-Game Talk: The Stuart Skinner Show

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Right? That was my point. I think people undervalued the experience Bouch had being up with the big team last season and learning how to become a pro.
Not to mention he still played 37 games between Europe and the nhl. That’s more than all junior prospects for example.

Reactions: Biltmore

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't think salary should matter. They need to do what's best for the team so if they could find somebody like Chiarot for example who can handle 18-20 minutes a night and relegate Keith to a softer minutes 13-15 minute role, I think the team will be better off.

It's not only the physicality, his puck management has been atrocious. One example being that ill timed pinch and fumble in the offensive zone that led to a Jets 2 on 1 the other way in the 1st I believe? He was also donating the puck to the Jets at least several notable times in the D zone. A poised vet like him shouldn't be panicking that much under pressure.

I expect Keith to get beaten on the rush from time to time because that's where age really hits, defending in space, but he shouldn't be giving away the puck as much as he's doing. It's been a real glaring issue with him the last 6-7 games. It could be due to physical fatigue due to the recent condensed schedule. I certainly hope that's the case because they need him to be better. Nurse as well, just to add.

To look at it though even Nurse is struggling immensely this season and largely because the consistent commitment of the forwards to be backchecking, or in position, or between own goal and puck is missing. This being the case on the first line as well as bottomsix. We've got too enticed forward too many times. at least with first line there is risk/reward to that. With the bottomsix constantly pinching you wonder why they do it.

As per usual the Drai line is showing what you can on all ends of the ice and how to support D, and assist in levels of D. The other lines, mixed bag commitment. Many games you see limited NZ commitment from the forwards and yet that is where the Jets make life difficult for us all the time. They are owning NZ. That has little to do with the D, more to do with forwards.

Foegele is -7 on a winning club that has good positive differential. Ryan is a -10 tirefire. Kassian -5 in limited games played. These guys are getting owned out there and its not at all what we are paying them for or why they are here. They're getting eaten alive. Hyman manages to be -2 playing with the best player in hockey and getting big pay. Again not what we're paying him for. Hyman offensively has been good support, but he's the absolute worst player on the line defensively.

Its the easiest thing to blame D and goaltending because those are the LAST breakdowns. Most of the forwards on this club are not even invested in defensive or allzone play. Frankly if we had any options the team would be moving away from guys like Ryan already. I had hopes the bottomsix additions would work out. They've been awful. I have time to wait for Foegele but he has to figure it out. He's not here to get owned in bottomsix play. Should be much better than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nunymare

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
Wasting away wasn't the right wording on my part, so I apologize for that lol

Just my opinion. I think Bouch travelling with the team helped to a degree, but hardly playing for 4 months... Idc what anyone says, NO pro athlete wants to hardly play thru a season. None. And that I'm certain.

So yes, travelling and practicing probably helped Bouchard a bit. But I think playing all situations 22-25m in the A also would've been beneficial

Just MO.

With Nurse out weeks, Broberg will be playing pretty much every game one would assume. So hopefully he kills it. That left side is looking weak now, but if he can step up and be awesome, that'd be huge.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Don't get me wrong, Skinner was great but I thought Helleybuck faced more Grade A+ chances. The shot totals weren't really indicative of the true game action.

There was one sequence in the 3rd when Draisaitl created like 3 incredible chances one right after the other on his own shot and then two beauty feeds to Barrie and Pulju immediately after that Helleybuck stoned each time. That was A+++ goaltending right there.

Agreed. The Oil team defense was the best its been all year. Highly disciplined, boxed out extremely well around Skinner within high scoring areas and didn't chase Jets forwards which was leading to soft ice openings in the kill zones when they were recently leaking goals. Forwards notably McDavid were much more engaged in defending deep to help. And Draisaitl was exceptional in all areas last night. Simply a beast performance highlighted by superlative extended 5 on 3 play end of third into OT.

This is not to diminish Skinner's game which was brilliant for a super green banana being asked to backstop a critical game against a nemesis team that's been rolling this team. So composed, great positioning without having to over extend to make highlight type saves, and the inner strength and confidence to rise up in a very big moment and opportunity invested by the Coaching staff. Oil had a lot of grade A scoring chances which Helleybuck turned aside with his stellar positioning but the Oil need more consistent finishing ability beyond Draisaitl and McDavid. Too often strong scoring opportunities are often shot wide. Nugent Hopkins and Hyman with 5 shots and Puljujarvi had 3,

Regarding your comments about Keith, I thought he was very strong after a poor road trip. 26:49 minutes TOI, 4:19 PK, three blocks. He's coughing up the puck a bit. I think a bit of this is a 38 year old Duncan Keith thinking he's still in a 24 year old Duncan Keith body able to skate his way to hunt down his mistake and fix it. But the whole of his game was solid in a night he played big minutes and critical PK time in a one goal game.

Hopefully the lightbulb goes on for this team in terms of following the game plan to defend hard, stay disciplined in their own end, and have all hands on deck with forwards committing themselves to support. The GM and Coach have talked for two years about reducing goals against as the next big thing to take a step up from good to great. Last night they proved capable.

EDIT: The Dynasty 80s teams needed to learn how to defend and win low scoring, tight games in order to take home championships. This could be one of those light bulb moments for this team on its way to figuring out what is required to win in the playoffs.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Yeah, huge win healthy scratching your top D prospect for 45 games lol

I'm sure if you asked him, he would've much rather been playing 25 mins in all situations in the AHL

You dont think they didnt ask him?

I remember reading last season, that they did ask him and he wanted to stay and practice with the big club vs going to Bako. I can't remember if it came from Holland or Tippet...

edit: I see that @Mickelsnitz just said the same thing.

Reactions: Mickelsnitz

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Don't get me wrong, Skinner was great but I thought Helleybuck faced more Grade A+ chances. The shot totals weren't really indicative of the true game action.

There was one sequence in the 3rd when Draisaitl created like 3 incredible chances one right after the other on his own shot and then two beauty feeds to Barrie and Pulju immediately after that Helleybuck stoned each time. That was A+++ goaltending right there.
Hellebuyck is finally turning it on again. Bad for the Oilers but great for my fantasy team after a rough start to the season.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Nurse broke his finger in the final minute of regulation / in overtime, so his poor play beforehand had nothing to do with that.

Hope he can come back recharged and looking more like last year’s Nurse.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Sorry if it's been posted, my phone is not allowing me to scroll any past pages...So let's say Skinner plays lights out and Smith is ready to be back full time. Could or would Holland send Kosk down???

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Sorry if it's been posted, my phone is not allowing me to scroll any past pages...So let's say Skinner plays lights out and Smith is ready to be back full time. Could or would Holland send Kosk down???

Could send kosk down I believe, just a modified no trade clause not an nmc.

Wouldn't be any cap relief though.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
One thing I think worth mentioning that seems to be a common theme that I seem to hear after every game about out opponents.

"That was the best game we've played all year."

Winnipeg for example just had their coach say they played their best two games of the year.

We are seeing on most nights the absolute best our opponents have to offer. I'm not sure a single team of significance at least hasn't brought their A game against us.
And most of the time it hasn't been enough. I think that's good for them in the long run. It just makes for some frustrating nights when we can't bring our A game. And understandably imo.

I think Calgary may be an illustration of the opposite. They're playing good hockey but from my viewings most nights.. they see their opponents b game. Nobody is getting up for them.
Buffalo just laid an absolute egg against them from what I saw.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
One thing I think worth mentioning that seems to be a common theme that I seem to hear after every game about out opponents.

"That was the best game we've played all year."

Winnipeg for example just had their coach say they played their best two games of the year.

We are seeing on most nights the absolute best our opponents have to offer. I'm not sure a single team of significance at least hasn't brought their A game against us.
And most of the time it hasn't been enough. I think that's good for them in the long run. It just makes for some frustrating nights when we can't bring our A game. And understandably imo.

I think Calgary may be an illustration of the opposite. They're playing good hockey but from my viewings most nights.. they see their opponents b game. Nobody is getting up for them.
Buffalo just laid an absolute egg against them from what I saw.

Are you sure they didn’t just poop their pants facing the dominance of one future hall of fame DMan in Kylington?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad