The Stretch Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Bottom line is that if we can't beat the NYI at home tomorrow, an awful Florida team in the last game of the year, and scrape together some combination of 2 or 3 pts total from the other 3 games, we have no business being in the playoffs.

This whole thread gives me the willies but I certainly agree with you here.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
IMO, this scheduling is really dumb. Why would Detroit finish with St. Louis? Why do we play teams like Phoenix, Chicago, and Colorado in the last two weeks? The last two weeks, games should be against teams in your conference, and the last week should be division opponents only.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
IMO, this scheduling is really dumb. Why would Detroit finish with St. Louis? Why do we play teams like Phoenix, Chicago, and Colorado in the last two weeks? The last two weeks, games should be against teams in your conference, and the last week should be division opponents only.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago. Absolute crappy scheduling. Talk about building rivalries. :shakehead

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I think it makes perfect sense.

There are seven days left in the regular season, and exactly six teams have been actually eliminated from the playoff race. And by having this non-conference and non-division closing all across the league, it does the following:
1) Breaks up four-point games. This increases the number of scenarios needed to clinch a spot or be eliminated in a given night, meaning that teams stay in the race longer.
2) Boosts attendance. A lot of teams have middling interest in non-division and non-conference games unless there's some serious history. With more teams in the race longer, fans are going to show up in greater numbers for games that wouldn't draw flies in October or November.

If last week's games were against NYR, Philly, and New Jersey, it's possible that this team would have clinched a playoff spot by now...or been eliminated by now. What would that do for the games being played yesterday or tomorrow? Would there be any real interest in either scenario?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think it makes perfect sense.

There are seven days left in the regular season, and exactly six teams have been actually eliminated from the playoff race. And by having this non-conference and non-division closing all across the league, it does the following:
1) Breaks up four-point games. This increases the number of scenarios needed to clinch a spot or be eliminated in a given night, meaning that teams stay in the race longer.
2) Boosts attendance. A lot of teams have middling interest in non-division and non-conference games unless there's some serious history. With more teams in the race longer, fans are going to show up in greater numbers for games that wouldn't draw flies in October or November.

If last week's games were against NYR, Philly, and New Jersey, it's possible that this team would have clinched a playoff spot by now...or been eliminated by now. What would that do for the games being played yesterday or tomorrow? Would there be any real interest in either scenario?

You're basically arguing in favor of diluting fan interest over the schedule, which is understandable, but I have a hard time seeing breaking up four-point games as a good thing. Those are like playoff games.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
I like our chances a lot more now with the Habs separating themselves from the Lightning. By the time we play Tampa on Friday it's very likely that game won't matter for the Bolts and we won't get much effort out of them. They might even feel like giving Stamkos an off night.

Take some points from Phoenix/Dallas and I think we're a playoff team by this Saturday.

Also, we're very close to finishing above .500 for the first time. I mean real 42 wins out of 82 games above .500, not "Bettman .500".

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
4 point games are a figment of everyone's imagination. You either make up 2 pts or lose 2 pts. Yeah, I know how to get the 4 pt thing but it is bs.

I would much rather be playing my rival who is 2 pts ahead on the last day than having each of us relying on a cross conference opponent to help me out.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
4 point games are a figment of everyone's imagination. You either make up 2 pts or lose 2 pts. Yeah, I know how to get the 4 pt thing but it is bs.

I would much rather be playing my rival who is 2 pts ahead on the last day than having each of us relying on a cross conference opponent to help me out.

I'm a little confused, as these two paragraphs seem conflicting to me. If there is no opportunity for a 4 point swing in a single game, then why does it matter who the team plays on the last day?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
You're basically arguing in favor of diluting fan interest over the schedule, which is understandable, but I have a hard time seeing breaking up four-point games as a good thing. Those are like playoff games.

What's even more like playoff games are actual playoff games.;)

It's possible for a team with a magic number of 4 to clinch in a single game if it's against that particular opponent, just as it's possible for a team with an elimination number of 4 to be eliminated in a single game.

Actually, it's possible for a team with a magic number of 5 to clinch in one game, but that's really stretching it to the realm of "figment of imagination".

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Tomorrow is a big night in the race. With the exception of New Jersey, all of the other contenders are in action. Philly (@Florida), Toronto (@Tampa Bay), Detroit (@Buffalo) and Washington (@St. Louis) are on the road and we get the Coyotes at home. With a little help and a win from us, the seeds could look a little different.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Go Flames Go!

Would love a regulation loss by NJD but will take a shootout or OT loss too. Just don't want them getting 2 pts. I'm not in the least concerned about Toronto or Washington. Their climb has been tough for a while now. I would like the chance to pass Detroit and Philly.

For the CBJ there is only one thing to keep in mind....

Just win baby! Just win!!!!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm a little confused, as these two paragraphs seem conflicting to me. If there is no opportunity for a 4 point swing in a single game, then why does it matter who the team plays on the last day?

Say the Jackets are 2 pts behind the Flyers.

Jackets beat the Flyers we're tied.

Scenario 2

2 pts behind we play and beat Chicago but the Flyers play and beat St Louis. We're still 2 pts behind.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What's even more like playoff games are actual playoff games.;)

It's possible for a team with a magic number of 4 to clinch in a single game if it's against that particular opponent, just as it's possible for a team with an elimination number of 4 to be eliminated in a single game.

Actually, it's possible for a team with a magic number of 5 to clinch in one game, but that's really stretching it to the realm of "figment of imagination".

C'mon you're talking apples and oranges. I agree that if my magic number is 4 pts (i.e. as soon as I get 4 pts ahead of my competitor it is all over) then if I am up by 2 and win head to head I'm now up 4 and I clinch. The other guy is still at whatever point total he was at. Total points involved is 2. Not 4. Maybe its between 16 and 19000.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Say the Jackets are 2 pts behind the Flyers.

Jackets beat the Flyers we're tied.

Scenario 2

2 pts behind we play and beat Chicago but the Flyers play and beat St Louis. We're still 2 pts behind.

So...it sounds like the game in Scenario 1 is more important, which is what many people would call a 4 point game. But you call it a 2 point game? So how do you differentiate it from Scenario 2? Do you also refer to Scenario 2 as a 2 point game or a zero point games since the result is neutral?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So...it sounds like the game in Scenario 1 is more important, which is what many people would call a 4 point game. But you call it a 2 point game? So how do you differentiate it from Scenario 2? Do you also refer to Scenario 2 as a 2 point game or a zero point game since the result is neutral?

Game one is more important because if I win in game 1 I'm tied;in scenario 2 my competitor can negate the fact I won by also winning. It has nothing to do with being a 4 point game. I was arguing for inter-divisional play over the last week or two.

As a matter of fact (imo), there are no 4 point games. I get why people say that because in Scenario 1 if I lose I'm four points behind rather than tied. But that is dependent on my starting point. If we were tied going in then the team that wins is up 2. Now I suppose you could say but if you won you'd be up 2 rather than being down two so the difference between the positions is 4 points. Not the same thing as saying it is a 4 point game in my opinion.

All games are two point (or three if OT) games. There are no zero point games.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
I like our chances a lot more now with the Habs separating themselves from the Lightning. By the time we play Tampa on Friday it's very likely that game won't matter for the Bolts and we won't get much effort out of them. They might even feel like giving Stamkos an off night.

Take some points from Phoenix/Dallas and I think we're a playoff team by this Saturday.

Also, we're very close to finishing above .500 for the first time. I mean real 42 wins out of 82 games above .500, not "Bettman .500".
Don't underestimate the "Yzerman effect"; he'd love nothing more than to screw the Jackets.

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013
I'm pretty sure we just went from "probably in the playoffs" to "no seriously even the jackets can't screw it up at this point, we're in"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad