The Stretch Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Here's the last 22. What do you think. It looks tough to me. If someone gets hot it better be us because I don't see us much better than we have been. Assuming we play like we have been, that projects to 89 pts. One thing we have going for us is a game or two in hand over all teams except Detroit.

I think the key is to improve the defense/goaltending back to the level it was during last year's run. I believe that was due in large part to momentum and right now we don't have it on D. Also I remember a couple of clutch late game goals.

It would be nice if playoff mode Horton would show up-to me he's a bit of a disappointment so far;and a hot streak by Gabby would help also.

Bob needs to be more like Vezina Bob than this season Bob.

The ride begins tonight against a team we have collectively trounced 11-2. Of course we had dominated the Devils prior to last week.

Gonna be a heck of a ride. I hope.

15 GAMES IN 27 DAYS

3: at Toronto (E) 7 p.m. +2

4: Dallas (W) 7 p.m. +2

6: at Chicago (W) 8 p.m. 0

8: at Nashville (W) 8 p.m. +2

10: at Dallas (W) 8:30 p.m.

11: Detroit (E) 7 p.m.

13: San Jose (W) 7 p.m.

15: at Minnesota (W) 8 p.m.

18: Carolina (M) 7 p.m.

20: at Montreal (E) 7:30 p.m.

21: N.Y. Rangers (M) 7 p.m.

23: at N.Y. Islanders (M) 1 p.m.

25: Detroit (E) 7:30 p.m.

28: Pittsburgh (M) 7 p.m.

29: at Carolina (M) 7 p.m.
April

7 GAMES IN 12 DAYS

1: Colorado (W) 7 p.m.

3: at Philadelphia (M) 7 p.m.

4: Chicago (W) 7 p.m.

6: N.Y. Islanders (M) 6 p.m.

8: Phoenix (W) 7 p.m.

11: at Tampa Bay (E) 7:30 p.m.

12: at Florida (E) 7 p.m.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
The thing that sucks is we only have 3 games left against teams ahead of us in the Metro. Very few chances to make up ground unless we count on other teams to lose. Also, too many games against West teams left, which also cuts down on chances to make up ground. I'm not overly optimistic.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The thing that sucks is we only have 3 games left against teams ahead of us in the Metro. Very few chances to make up ground unless we count on other teams to lose. Also, too many games against West teams left, which also cuts down on chances to make up ground. I'm not overly optimistic.

Philly has a tougher road than us, and I believe Carolina does too. So if you want to look for positives, there it is.

We can only control what we can. Hopefully we're in the race until the end. Should be fun

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Gotta remember that every team has the same awful schedule.

I like our youth and 4 line depth. Should serve us well.

And I like that we're playing good teams. Wins will build belief. We have a history of playing to the level of the competition.

Just wish we had more Eastern and divisional games. We're gonna need some teams to help us.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
In years past 42 wins has usually been enough to crack a playoff spot.

We have 31 wins with 21 games left. Can they win 11 or 12 out of the last 21? If they do lose can they at least make sure it's in overtime? I think so, but I would've liked our chances a lot better had the Olympic break not have forced them to basically start over.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In years past 42 wins has usually been enough to crack a playoff spot.

We have 31 wins with 21 games left. Can they win 11 or 12 out of the last 21? If they do lose can they at least make sure it's in overtime? I think so, but I would've liked our chances a lot better had the Olympic break not have forced them to basically start over.

Not without about 10-12 OT losses. Without checking I think 94-96 or so is what it took. May be slightly less this year as everyone is beating everyone else.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
I'm just not worried about other teams and all this "on pace" kind of stuff. It really boils down to whether or not the Jackets earn their way in. As long as they win, they'll make it.

If the Jackets win tonight and Detroit loses, we're officially in playoff position (as a wildcard) with 20 games to go (granted, Detroit will have a game in hand), plus tied with the Rangers in the metro. I understand any pessimism, and I'm only conservatively optimistic, but the Jackets are right there. They're not only better but CONSIDERABLY better than all these other wildcard-contending teams in goal differential and lead all in ROW. Points are all that matter come April, but these things are generally a good indicator of who the best teams are and thus who should be expected to perform as such going forward. Hopefully the Jackets prove that theory right.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wishing you guys luck, I would love to see this young team earn another playoff birth.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I went back the OP and highlighted the games that appear to have us as underdogs. There are 5 of those Chi (2), Pittsburgh, SJ & TB. Hopefully we can steal 3 pts here at a minimum.

4 italicized games where I think we will be a decided favorite. need all 8 points here.

That leaves 11 games against teams that I consider to be tossup. 6-4-1 maybe? 13 pts.

If I'm 100% right (highly unlikley) that's 24 points for a total of 91. Cutting it close. It's going to be close.

Let's get a win tonight and put one of those toss-up games in the bank.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I like our youth and 4 line depth. Should serve us well.

And I like that we're playing good teams. Wins will build belief. We have a history of playing to the level of the competition.

I would agree that if managed properly, but for solid lines should give us an advantage in extending the legs of some of our players......could be especially helpful in back-to-back games

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
12 wins in the final 21 games is very, very doable for this team in my opinion. With the way they have been playing since January, 12+ wins should be expected from this club.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

picture.php

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
It will be close barring another 8 game winning streak... this 3 gamer is encouraging though... The other thing, we know the West well, I think the players will be confident playing the West...

Need 24 more points for 93 however you cut the cake.... it's doable.

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
22-11-2 since December 1st. The boys finished strong last year and hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boy do I wish they do the same again

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I hate to sat it, but we make the play-offs if Bob stands on his head again. I realize we are scoring more, but if Bob finds his Vezina form we are in. If he continues with pedestrian numbers, it will be tough.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I hate to sat it, but we make the play-offs if Bob stands on his head again. I realize we are scoring more, but if Bob finds his Vezina form we are in. If he continues with pedestrian numbers, it will be tough.

Continues? Hasn't he been playing well since returning from injury? The CBJ is 15-6-1 in 2014!

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Continues? Hasn't he been playing well since returning from injury? The CBJ is 15-6-1 in 2014!

Yes, I am aware of those stats, but as I mentioned, he has been the beneficiary of increased scoring.

My point is that if he starts putting up SV% and GAA numbers like last years late run, with this team scoring more, we are easily in. 2.52 GAA, and .917 SV% are good, but not what we saw last season.

Not bashing Bob, just saying that if he goes on a tear like last season, we need not worry about beating a lot of the teams we still have to play.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Lots of good teams in the mix, teams that are probably better than we think based on how good we think our guys are. CBJ's hot streak only got them in the mix. Team has, I think games in hand against most teams around them, which is good. I can't even get into the need-12-games thing, it's just all so close and bunched up.

But I'm nervous. I look and I see a playoff team, a team I think is better than Philly, Carolina, Ottawa, Washington, New Jersey and yes even Detroit and maybe the Rangers but there's no separation in the standings. Nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad