The Stretch Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Is there a scenario where the CBJ can clinch tonight? Because looking around at what has been tweeted and posted here, we need to win 2 games, but looking at sportsclubstats.com, if all goes well for them and TOR, WSH, and DET all lose in regulation, our chances increase to over 100%....

I think if we win and the others lose they (WAS & TOR) are eliminated, but the magic number to eliminate NJ will still be at 2.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Is there a scenario where the CBJ can clinch tonight? Because looking around at what has been tweeted and posted here, we need to win 2 games, but looking at sportsclubstats.com, if all goes well for them and TOR, WSH, and DET all lose in regulation, our chances increase to over 100%....

No...NJ would still on life support. TOR & Washington can't catch us if they both lose and CBJ win. But NJ still not eliminated. They would be eliminated if we win both tonight and tomorrow, or a win in one of those games and NJ loss on Thursday.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

If we win tonight NJ would be on life support and TOR/WSH are gone. If we win tonight, then only one of these things need to happen the rest of the year to clinch..

1. We win a game in regulation/OT/SO

2. We lose a game in OT/SO AND a regulation loss/OT/SO loss for NJ.

3. New Jersey loses a game in regulation.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

It's already been responded to; but we can't eliminate NJ tonight. That over 100% would just round down to 100%. The Rangers were living at 100% even though they hadn't clenched.

It really won't be at 100% even if everything falls into place in the other games. 91 points it the bar right now. But it will be almost certain. Just a win gets us to that point. The rest would just be icing.

But even with the loss, NJ is still the real threat. Detroit is still a little vulnerable as well. They have a tough schedule as well. Their competition is harder. But they should be able to get by Buffalo tonight easily enough. Buffalo isn't as intimidating as say, the Islanders or Carolina.

Last edited:

JacketsWatcher

Jan 8, 2011

The percentage change in the odds of individual game scenarios are independent of all other games, therefore it could add up to over 100% if they all go in the CBJ's favor. The final odds are recalculated considering the results of all games, and would result in something less than 100%, reflecting NJ's slim chances.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Gotta cheer for Pittsburgh this week. They play Detroit and Philly next and could really help the CBJ out with two wins there.

Sooo...If Pens (or at least Pens fans) could pick their dance partner...Philly, CBJ or Detroit....It seems they prefer CBJ. Sounds like they will be motivated to defeat Wings tonight and maybe not so motivated to win versus Flyers.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Sooo...If Pens (or at least Pens fans) could pick their dance partner...Philly, CBJ or Detroit....It seems they prefer CBJ. Sounds like they will be motivated to defeat Wings tonight and maybe not so motivated to win versus Flyers.

I don't give a **** what the Pens think. I'm only worried about the Jackets winning tonight and clinching a playoff spot. I want the Rangers in the first round. I think of all the potential series, this would be the best case scenario for the Jackets. Think the crowds have been good lately? Bring the Rangers in here for the playoffs and they'll have to check the roof at NWA. I think the Bruins would be bad news for us.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Ranked in terms of ease of the matchup to the jackets.

1. Philadelphia
2. Pittsburgh
3. NY Rangers
4. Boston

I think we have a decent chance in any matchup, except for the Boston one.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

1. Philadelphia
2. Pittsburgh
3. NY Rangers
4. Boston

You think Pittsburgh would be "easier" than the Rangers? I don't think we match up well, at all, with the Pens. I think Boston is the team that intimidates people; yet we forget that were almost eliminated first round, least season, to Toronto. I think we can get close games into the 3rd period with Boston and take our chances. I like that match-up.

I would hate a Flyers match-up, outside of the fact they have Mason (which can be good for them or bad, when Mason is hot he could easily steal a series). Giroux and Simmonds tend to abuse this team.

JDCox17

Apr 14, 2009
I don't understand the thinking that Pittsburgh would be a good matchup for us at all.

They've already gone 5-0 against us this season and while none of the games were blowouts, I don't recall ever feeling like the Jackets had them outmanned.

Plus, as amazing as it might be for rivalry and in-arena energy aspects, I've got to imagine it would seriously dampen our advantage when we're the home team to have the crowd be even vaguely close to 50-50. I guess it would be an opportunity for Columbus fans to show they travel well, too?

If I could pick, I'd probably go with the Rangers both for the drama and because it's a team I feel more confident about us being able to steal a game from on their home ice. (Yes, I know we just won in Philly...)

And while everyone seems to feel doom-and-gloom about facing Boston, they haven't dominated us any more than Pittsburgh has.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I don't give a **** what the Pens think. I'm only worried about the Jackets winning tonight and clinching a playoff spot. I want the Rangers in the first round. I think of all the potential series, this would be the best case scenario for the Jackets. Think the crowds have been good lately? Bring the Rangers in here for the playoffs and they'll have to check the roof at NWA. I think the Bruins would be bad news for us.

LOL...just weighing the chances of that (Rangers matchup) happening. Pens might have a say regardless if we give a ****.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Let's be real. Pens aren't going to play games based on who they want to play. They may rest players to rest players, not to influence who they play in the 1st round. They can't control anything outside of their games so it would be ludicrous to think they would play hard against one team and not the other thinking they could impact the 1st round match up. Players on the ice will play to win regardless of who they are playing against.

That said, CBJ passes Philly and matches up against the Rangers in the first round. Book it!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

1. Philadelphia
2. Pittsburgh
3. NY Rangers
4. Boston

The reasons I think Pittsburgh might be easier are their inconsistent play lately and a habit of clutching in the playoffs, especially Fleury. Although I'm not sure our offense will intimidate him. Lundqvist makes the Rangers tough and they have been playing well but that is who I want to play in round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad