The stock market thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
if oil falls into the 30's, I might start getting back in slowly by dollar cost averaging. Will look to own SLB again as I got out when it was over 100 but would like to pick some up if it dips into the 70's. I am a killing on SUBCY back when it was under the name Stolt and then later Acergy, they are based in Norway so I might look at that them again. SDRL is another I might start picking some up on the cheap a little at a time. I've red where some thing oil could actually drop into the 20's but not sure I see that happening. We'll see what does happen if it breaks the 40 level as that could make things get real interesting.

Thought about picking up some appl at 113 but opted not to since China has me concerned. Probably should have but will keep an eye on it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Nobody wants to see anybody else happy or rich if they themselves are not happy or rich. If they are happy and rich, they don't want anybody to be happier or richer than them.

People are WOAT.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Very interest reading through this thread and very informative. My dad has been telling me to get into stocks for a bit now. I was very reluctant bc of financial situation and working on music and finding a good job. I do have a nice job and have gotten caught up finacially (student loans and other debt). Definately interested in testing the waters. I guess besides doing the research what would be an ideal number to start out with? I guess me being me having a ideal number money wise is something I'm more interested in about. Like I don't have 50k laying around. What's something realistic that isn't selling myself short but not investing like way too much to start off.

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Very interest reading through this thread and very informative. My dad has been telling me to get into stocks for a bit now. I was very reluctant bc of financial situation and working on music and finding a good job. I do have a nice job and have gotten caught up finacially (student loans and other debt). Definately interested in testing the waters. I guess besides doing the research what would be an ideal number to start out with? I guess me being me having a ideal number money wise is something I'm more interested in about. Like I don't have 50k laying around. What's something realistic that isn't selling myself short but not investing like way too much to start off.

Buy a book on ETFs would be a good way to start. Learn the differences between different investment types and also learn the most tax efficient ways to invest.

One of the ways I learned about all this stuff was buying/selling silver bullion coins. You don't have to put much money into it. Today coins go for 15-20$. Depending what country you live in they are tax free. You also don't need a brokerage account. It allowed me to learn how to follow charts, learn how to do research, where to find good information ect. Then as I got a better job and earned more moeny and got better at investings I ventured into the stock market and other investments.

I think in todays digital age you could probably do the same with bitcoin as a low cost way to learn how to trade but i don't know enough about bitcoin to give a more detailed answer.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
freed up some cash last night on the china news.

averaged down on the vanguard total stock index fund. it fell to 33. back up to over 35 now.

got in western energy drilling services when it fell to 3.10. It's back up over 4 now.

good day so far. got clobbered on some of the stocks I've owned though.

dow down over 1000. black monday.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009

You don't have to go "all in" at once. Buy some safe stocks, a little bit at a time. there's some really good buys out there today. it's like the clearance candy aisle at walmart the day after halloween today.

just be patient. i think it's gonna go lower from here. china is all smoke and mirrors. i don't think it's hit bottom yet.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
a lot of the losses have already been corrected or are close to being corrected to last weeks levels. just have to hold on.

took profits on the stocks i purchased this morning, unsure as to whether or not this is a correction or the start of a bear market.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
if you have 401k/market long term investments you just have to ride out corrections with the market like we had recently. if you worry about your money every single day then you need to get out. or put your money in a low interest, safe fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad