The stock market thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Not my first rodeo; I have a 401(k) from a prior job I plan to roll into the IRA. Did have a question though: While the main focus of my portfolio will be ETFs (Broker has commission free ETFs), I do have a few individual stocks I'd like to add at some point. Should I be that concerned about the weight of certain holdings in the portfolio, or if I just buy what I know/love alongside the cornerstone ETFs?

The more diversity the better.

As far as the weight, I'm not too sure to be honest. You certainly don't want to be too exposed to one industry. Wish I could help more, but I'm just not as familiar with IRAs.

Good luck! :) What stocks are you looking at?

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Spending time day trading when there's a massive chance you'll underperform the market is a fool's game. You could buy an S&P or total stock market index fund, do something else far more enjoyable or productive with all your spare time, and end up better off than the vast majority of day traders.

I mean you aren't necessarily wrong (though I wouldn't call it a "fool's game"), but that's just no fun. :laugh: Besides, as long as you are patient with your stocks (ie: not panic sell)...you should be ok in the long run.

Sure I could just buy index funds and forget about it...but that's just not my style.

Not saying index funds are bad at all...far from it. They are an amazing option that research has shown consistently perform.

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Coke, Disney, Ford

Nice, some fantastic big-cap companies there.

DIS especially is a darling of the market now...and it's hard to imagine the momentum slowing down (although Tomorrowland wasn't as successful as they wanted it to be).

I love Coke's ubiquity. It's a relatively conservative stock, but nothing wrong with that. They do have some challenges with the increasing push towards healthier products, but their will always be a market for Coke. I know they've been trying to get those fancy vending machines in more places.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
Nice, some fantastic big-cap companies there.

DIS especially is a darling of the market now...and it's hard to imagine the momentum slowing down (although Tomorrowland wasn't as successful as they wanted it to be).

Former Cast Member myself, so it's definitely close to me. The Lucasfilm/Marvel purchases puts less pressure on a Tomorrowland to succeed. You look at a Dreamworks, they have what, one movie out this year? Don't want to put those eggs in that basket.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Weather excuse is a joke imo. Its just putting lipstick on a pig. Even the Oilers used the weather excuse this season to explain poor attendance. Had nothing to do with a bad hockey club according to management (at the time)

well I would never tie in the US economy to anything the oilers are doing, but we'll see when the numbers come out. It's also going to be bad news for the NHL and their cap if the US economy falls back into recession.

Most people fail at whatever they pursue in life. Doesn't make their pursuit a fools game.:)

I mostly do technicals. Penny stocks are over-rated IMO, story driven stuff doesn't appeal to me.

I look at most things but always trying to improve my knowledge of technical trading. Do you find success using the Fibonacci retracement or using the "golden ratio" of 68.1% ?

Spending time day trading when there's a massive chance you'll underperform the market is a fool's game. You could buy an S&P or total stock market index fund, do something else far more enjoyable or productive with all your spare time, and end up better off than the vast majority of day traders.

day trading and active investing often won't beat the S & P, if you aren't a pro and prefer to not be involved, buying index funds is a great way to go. I used to work for the Vanguard Group so I think very highly of them and the job they do. But I do this for a living so I don't want to pay someone to do something I think I can do better then they can. But for people that don't have the time to follow as imo it can take up a lot of time doing research, then index or ETF's are a good way to have your money work for you.

Idk if this has been mentioned yet, but novice investors/traders should be aware of the different tax implications (at least in the US. I'm assuming Canada is similar?) for long term gains and dividends versus short term gains.

yes, it's important to keep tax rates, inflation and trading costs in mind when looking at your gains.

Not my first rodeo; I have a 401(k) from a prior job I plan to roll into the IRA. Did have a question though: While the main focus of my portfolio will be ETFs (Broker has commission free ETFs), I do have a few individual stocks I'd like to add at some point. Should I be that concerned about the weight of certain holdings in the portfolio, or if I just buy what I know/love alongside the cornerstone ETFs?

It's impossible to say since I don't know your risk tolerance, but if you think you can handle a decent amount of risk then being a little overweight in stocks can help you grow your portfolio quicker assuming you pick the right ones of course. But if you don't feel you have a long time to be in the market to ride out the ups and downs then perhaps you should be underweight stocks.

Peter Lynch who was a famous Fund Manager at Fidelity often wrote in his books about buying what you know. I personally believe in it, it clearly worked out for him.

Coke, Disney, Ford

I did well with Dis and F, never owned coke cause I think the soda market at some point is going to get hit hard. Plus I took a beating on sodastream in the past, thought that they would sell well in the US.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
It's impossible to say since I don't know your risk tolerance, but if you think you can handle a decent amount of risk then being a little overweight in stocks can help you grow your portfolio quicker assuming you pick the right ones of course. But if you don't feel you have a long time to be in the market to ride out the ups and downs then perhaps you should be underweight stocks.

Peter Lynch who was a famous Fund Manager at Fidelity often wrote in his books about buying what you know. I personally believe in it, it clearly worked out for him.

I did well with Dis and F, never owned coke cause I think the soda market at some point is going to get hit hard. Plus I took a beating on sodastream in the past, thought that they would sell well in the US.

I'm in my mid 20's and seeing how this is an IRA account, this is for the long haul.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Market has been taking a beating gentlemen. Buy, or wait?

Check out this China small cap etf - ECNS ishares trust. Lost 12 dollars in the last two days. A lot of unhappy people .

Might buy some just for the profits when it eventually shoots back up. Going to hold on a bit though.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I freed up some cash before the Greece meltdown last Monday, I didn't jump in at the end of that day, thought about it but waited so now I'm just going to nibble on some things if I see a good price.

I have owned some China stocks in the past, but I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot poll. It sounds like things are going to go from bad to really ugly. I'm concerned what it will do to the US stock market if it goes too ugly.

I'm looking at FEYE, AMBA, GWPH, SRPT, CEMP, CLVS. Want to add to my positions in SGYP, TNXP, ACHN, RCPI (long story).

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Check out this China small cap etf - ECNS ishares trust. Lost 12 dollars in the last two days. A lot of unhappy people .

Might buy some just for the profits when it eventually shoots back up. Going to hold on a bit though.

I saw this today and thought it was quite interesting...

20150706_shcomp_1_0.jpg

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Yeah it went down to 39 this morning. So it's lost 15 now.

I'm going to wait and see how China goes. But I'm going to be on on it for sure. China's small caps will be okay.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
DXJ a Japanese etf is also hitting new lows.

I think I'll ride out this Greece mess.

Is the pope telling the Catholic Church to not invest in big oil going to send shockwaves through the sector even more?

Are we witnessing the beginning of the end for oil? With climate change being at the front and center of nearly everything now , I'm beginning to wonder.

I don't think oil is dead yet, but many years from now will we be able to look back and say this is where it started?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
DXJ a Japanese etf is also hitting new lows.

I think I'll ride out this Greece mess.

Is the pope telling the Catholic Church to not invest in big oil going to send shockwaves through the sector even more?

Are we witnessing the beginning of the end for oil? With climate change being at the front and center of nearly everything now , I'm beginning to wonder.

I don't think oil is dead yet, but many years from now will we be able to look back and say this is where it started?

Cheap oil will set the clean energy movement back a few years until oil prices recover to the 100$ range.

I think the end of oil will come from technological revolutions. Someone will invent something somehow that will change the world landscape. Just like the internet changed communications for example. We simply don't know what that thing is yet.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
You must have confidence that the Chinese can fix their problems.

Don't care. Bought late yesterday at 40 and sold today at 48 - missed the high but all good. Sometimes there's just some stocks where you have to strike when the iron is hot and be open to some risk, and sell quick. Could have crashed more but I figured a bottom was formed.

Didn't put much into it. That's always the case , but okay profit.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Don't care. Bought late yesterday at 40 and sold today at 48 - missed the high but all good. Sometimes there's just some stocks where you have to strike when the iron is hot and be open to some risk, and sell quick. Could have crashed more but I figured a bottom was formed.

Didn't put much into it. That's always the case , but okay profit.

Yes, if you are good at trading volatility then there's money to be made. I suck at that so I always look at stocks from a different perspective.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I look at stocks as a long term investment. But sometimes in a market as volatile as today's, and having been watching the market closely for a long time, sometimes there's good deals to be had and they don't last long. I normally don't day trade anymore just when I see a good deal. Good deals happen when people panic.

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Market has been rough lately, but as long as interest rates remain low...it remains a viable place to at least garner some return in my view.

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California

A China play is pretty speculative...it takes the assumption that China will do everything it can to prop up its economy. The real question is will it be enough?

I own BABA...so I hope it will be lol.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I was in and out of ECNS in 2 days. I'm staying far away from China. I'm wishing I stayed far away from oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->