Pre-Game Talk: THE STANLEY CUP FINAL | Penguins vs. Predators | Series Tied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why on Earth Sullivan refuses to ice HMK? You know, a proven line, both statistically and by the eye test? He rather to healthy scratch Hagelin and play Kunitz/Wilson in that spot tho...Like what even.
I get that time when Hagelin jast came back from an injury and needed limited minutes, but now? Not to mention, that Wilson-Rowney-Archibald line seems to have some chemestry as well.
At least he changed the 1st line right, but he never goes with the right options for the second line (Hagelin/Rust), which is very baffling.

And, yeah, Ruhwedel for Hainsey would be another logical swap.

Yeah, I don't know why Sullivan thinks the only options for Geno's line is Kunitz or Wilson. He'll try Hagelin once in a while, but only usually with Hornqvist on the other wing. Doesn't seem to want to go HMK or Rust with Malkin and Kessel.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I love Archibald's energy last game so hopefully he's in. I loved when Wilson got the nod in the Ottawa series in game 4. He was a monster that did exactly what was needed of him. Hopefully he get that same energy and execution level.

I'm glad Rust is not with Sid anymore. I get why he's there...but it's just not working. At all. And that's okay. He's still a good player else where.

Now, one thing I wish they would go is consider going back to Rust-Malkin-Kessel. That provides a lot of what he want in that line.

To me, jury is still out on who should be Sid's RW. IMHO, it should be Horny but I believe the styles sometimes class. To be honest, right now, we are not going to get the lines we want. My ideal lines are:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Hags-Bones-Sheary
Rowney-Cully-Archi

Bones out = Rowney to 3C, Wilson to 4LW. But we know that's not happening.

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags/Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Rust/Hags-Bones-Rowney
Kunitz-Cullen-Sheary

Right now is the best I can think of. We all know Rudwedel should be in over Hainsey but same as Kunitz, we know it's not happening so no point in covering it.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Call me crazy, but I'd say Kunitz has probably been one of the 5-6 most impactful forward on the Pens this series. He has four points, has been an aggressive penalty killer, and is getting some chances. A lot more than what can be said for guys like Rowney, Hagelin, and even Kessel. I know he's everyone's favorite whipping boy around here, but not only is he not coming out of the lineup, he doesn't even deserve to come out of the lineup.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Ruh-Streit need in.Yeah maybe they'll be rusty. Heck maybe they'll suck. But you can't keep putting garbage (Maatta-Hainsey) on the ice & expect different results. I'm really starting to lose my patience with this coach.

Furthermore, I think tomorrow is game 7 for the Pens. I don't see them winning in Nashville. They either get it done in 7 or will be out by Sunday evening.

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010
Call me crazy, but I'd say Kunitz has probably been one of the 5-6 most impactful forward on the Pens this series. He has four points, has been an aggressive penalty killer, and is getting some chances. A lot more than what can be said for guys like Rowney, Hagelin, and even Kessel. I know he's everyone's favorite whipping boy around here, but not only is he not coming out of the lineup, he doesn't even deserve to come out of the lineup.

Thou speaketh the truth. 'Round these parts, that's the same as being crazy. ;)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Thou speaketh the truth. 'Round these parts, that's the same as being crazy. ;)

Who cares if he had points in game 1, he's been back to the same old garbage since.

He missed his breakaway at one end, Preds go the other way and score...and that was pretty much the game. Game 4 highlight again why so many don't want him in the line up against the Preds defense - he's slow and can't win board battles.

It's the exact reason why people want Rudwedel in over Hainsey.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Who cares if he had points in game 1, he's been back to the same old garbage since.

He missed his breakaway at one end, Preds go the other way and score...and that was pretty much the game. Game 4 highlight again why so many don't want him in the line up against the Preds defense - he's slow and can't win board battles.

It's the exact reason why people want Rudwedel in over Hainsey.

Who cares if he had points early in the series? Are you serious? Those games don't mean just as much as the ones now do?

That whole response there is just so typical of those that hate Kunitz regardless of what he does. Somehow it's his fault that Rinne stopped his breakaway (barely, might I add, as he did have the five hole but Rinne got his stick in there) and then Nashville went the other way and scored. Not anyone else's fault that Neal won a board battle or Fisher out hustled whoever it was to chip the puck up? Just Kunitz because he didn't score (and heaven forbid the other team gets any credit for anything).

Please give me any good reason how or why guys like Rowney, Hagelin, Rust, Sheary, or Wilson deserve to be in the lineup or how they've been more impactful than Chris Kunitz. Because as it stands right now, in this series, those guys haven't done jack or squat.

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010
Who cares if he had points early in the series? Are you serious? Those games don't mean just as much as the ones now do?

That whole response there is just so typical of those that hate Kunitz regardless of what he does. Somehow it's his fault that Rinne stopped his breakaway (barely, might I add, as he did have the five hole but Rinne got his stick in there) and then Nashville went the other way and scored. Not anyone else's fault that Neal won a board battle or Fisher out hustled whoever it was to chip the puck up? Just Kunitz because he didn't score (and heaven forbid the other team gets any credit for anything).

Please give me any good reason how or why guys like Rowney, Hagelin, Rust, Sheary, or Wilson deserve to be in the lineup or how they've been more impactful than Chris Kunitz. Because as it stands right now, in this series, those guys haven't done jack or squat.

Agreed 100%. Kunitz will not be scratched in this series, for the reasons you mention and many others.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Oh get off the cross, we need the wood.

Olli Maata, Ron Hainsey, Phil Kessel, among others are a bigger problem than Mr Kunitz right now.

Indeed, and if you go back and look, each one of them have been raked over the coals lately, by me in particular.

Bad play is bad play. I want Rudwedel in over Hainsey (for the exact reasons I want Archi or Wilson over Kunitz) because Hainsey is slow, rarely wins battle, and is shakey at best with the puck. We don't have the depth to replace Maatta if Rudwedel is in over Hainsey otherwise I would be suggesting that same thing.

Kunitz does A LOT to warrant the hate he gets around here. If he turns in his game 7/game 1 efforts night in and night out, he wouldn't. Fact is, he doesn't. When I see play that bad, speed that slow, and golden opportunities missed that bad, I call that player out. Kunitz doesn't get free passes from me. No one does. Why you give Kunitz a free pass and refuse to look objectively at his poor play is why we have disagreements to begin with.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Gang, I need help. I'm a negative person by nature and I'd like to change that. I am going to the game tomorrow with a ticket I can't sell because a friend helped me get it and it would be wrong to not go. Otherwise, I just don't want to go. I'm disgusted by the performance of this team in the finals and, as a Pens and hockey fan for over 40 years I honestly see zero chance they turn this around even though we are certainly the better team.

I had higher hopes for the 09 team that dropped the 5th game is amazingly pedestrian fashion.

For some reason, and I can't tell you why, I want this Cup more than the others and I mean that. I want this one more than I remember even wanting the 91 Cup at the time. I'm miserable right now and dreading dragging myself to this game and that just shouldn't be the case. It's a ticket to game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals, I should be excited for this and I'm just not. I had plans for Nashville on Sunday that I cancelled already. I've given up all hope.

I need a reason to believe and some reason to stop being so negative all the time.

Someone give me a reason to believe and look forward to the game rather then just hoping something happens I can get out of it.

If I were you, I'd just sell the ticket.

You're likely to see a **** poor effort which will leave a bad taste in your mouth, why spend money to be disappointed?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not perfect, but GCS and no Kunitz in the top 6 is a lot better than what we've been icing lately. Hopefully Sully gives them an honest chance and doesn't revert to his old standbys at the first opportunity.

That's one of my concerns.

"Crosby's line hasn't scored yet after the first period? Kunitz to the rescue!"

"Geno and Phil got scored on? It's Kunitz time!"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
this place is pathetic :laugh: we're tied 2-2 in the finals with home ice. My goodness :laugh:

This place is pathetic?

Pens won Game 1 playing the sloppiest hockey seen in the playoffs this year.
Pens win Game 2 while also being owned in the shots department.
Game 3 + 4 the total goals GF/GA is 9-2 For the Preds.

Yeah, sure, no cause for concern.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just can't believe there's a discussion about Sullivan being why we're losing. It's like I'm taking crazy pills or something.

This place is pathetic?

There's a HUGE difference between concern and what half the people here are talking about.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This place is pathetic?

The series is tied 2-2. Nothing at ALL to be concerned about.

[/said the same folks who said the same thing up 2-0 despite being badly outplayed also meant there's nothing to be concerned about] :sarcasm:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
name one person saying there's nothing to be concerned about.

Well, when you describe rational discussion about what we're witnessing from the team as "pathetic" just because there's maybe one or two extreme yahoos, it kind of suggests that you believe anyone who doesn't think "we're tied 2-2, this series is ours" is being a chicken little.

If you weren't generalizing, you probably should have quoted the one or two extreme posts that are acting nuts. But you kind of just posted "this place is pathetic" following posts where 99% of them were having a discussion about who is struggling and what this team needs to do to have a chance at winning the series.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
so the Guentzel chance that woulda tied the game when we were down 2-1 wasn't saved by Josi or Rinne. It hit Rust's stick :cry:

it's at 7:30

Interesting. Although I'm sure it won't stop every network from showing that "save" a billion times. Yesterday the NHL Network did an entire segment on how it was "just like" Fleury's game 7 save in 2009. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
on this page alone there is a discussion about going to the game being a setup for disappointment and multiple comments about either being fed up with Sully or hoping that he gives us a chance to win instead of reverting to his standbys. You're right, there's real discussion too. Not everyone here is pathetic obviously, otherwise I would never come here. But man are there a LOT of ridiculous comments after a loss or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad