Pre-Game Talk: THE STANLEY CUP FINAL | Penguins vs. Predators | Series Tied

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
I actually think rolling four lines is important given our hard our forwards have to carry us to make up for the worst D core in a final since Carolina '06 or possibly even the 94 Canucks?

That being said, Sullivan abandons his fourth line once we trail, so it's imperative we get the lead and hold it, or our forwards get overworked.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Who sits if you dress an extra D? I think you need 4 centers in there for faceoffs. I guess I would sit Archibald, but I thought his speed was a factor earlier in the game and they probably could have used him more, even once they were trailing.

I'm okay with the idea of 7D to limit Hainsey's icetime at even strength, but it doesn't seem like an idea that Sully or the coaching staff are particularly fond of.

Rowney/Archie. Or both if Bonino is cleared. Drop a F, and double shift the crap out of Sid/Geno/Jake/etc..

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
GCS is back together again. Sullivan maybe finally realized Rust doesn't click with Sid. Unfortunately, he put Rust on L3 instead of with Malkin and Kessel.

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
Malkin: "I know people talk about how we’re tired, but believe me, they’re tired too. I’m not tired, myself. I want to play."

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Nashville seemingly has a million guys that are capable of scoring/can burn you. Sissons, Aberg, Forsberg, Neal, Gaudreau, Jarnkrok, Fish, Craig Smith, Arvidsson (Arvidsson. Arvidsson. Arvidsson. Anyone hear that weird robotic voice repeating his name that Nashville's arena played after he scored? Pretty cool.), and basically any of their top 4 D, who have become one of the most prolific scoring D's in playoff history.

Their awesome transition game makes their forwards better than ours. They're fast, too. Our depth can't score like it did last year. Theirs can. Wouldn't be surprised to see Austin Watson get on the board too.

I feel like we need our stars to take over and for Rinne to be bad to win.

If we can't get it done, I'm trying to convince myself this Nashville team really is good. Deeper than the 08/09 Red Wings?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't have a problem with that lineup. PH is too hurt to help us. Kunitz and Rust have worked in the past. Hagelin and Archibald on the 4th at least gives us some speed when 87 and 71 aren't out there. And Sid and the kids have obviously worked before.

The defense is what it is. Just gotta hope we can squeeze out a couple more wins.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I don't have a problem with that lineup. PH is too hurt to help us. Kunitz and Rust have worked in the past. Hagelin and Archibald on the 4th at least gives us some speed when 87 and 71 aren't out there. And Sid and the kids have obviously worked before.

The defense is what it is. Just gotta hope we can squeeze out a couple more wins.

this lineup, awful d and all, is enough to win 2 games

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Why on Earth Sullivan refuses to ice HMK? You know, a proven line, both statistically and by the eye test? He rather to healthy scratch Hagelin and play Kunitz/Wilson in that spot tho...Like what even.
I get that time when Hagelin jast came back from an injury and needed limited minutes, but now? Not to mention, that Wilson-Rowney-Archibald line seems to have some chemestry as well.
At least he changed the 1st line right, but he never goes with the right options for the second line (Hagelin/Rust), which is very baffling.

And, yeah, Ruhwedel for Hainsey would be another logical swap.

Last edited:

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I'm ok with the lines. Wilson Malkin Kessel isn't my first choice (or second for that matter) but it seemed like that line was clicking pretty well when Wilson first got put with them against Ottawa. Hopefully the scratches did him some good and he comes in angry and ready to make sure he isn't scratched again. I like that he will shoot if he has a clean look. Those deep slappers he takes could produce a couple extra rebound chances (if placed properly.) I am hoping Bones is ready to go so the third line would then be Kunitz Bones Rust and then run a 4th line of Hagelin Cullen Archibald... I'm guessing Hornqvist is still pretty beat up?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
meanwhile, Letang is sittin there on the bench thinking to himself, "Can't win it without me, suckeeeeeers! muahahaaaa"

Yeah no part of Letang is feeling that way. He was a big part of the Pens season and it would all go to waste if they blew it now. He's probably wishing his neck thing never required surgery and he was ready to play 2 games ago. Letang is as fierce of a competitor as anyone on the Pens.

This narrative that Letang is just not that needed or that he's full of himself or whatever is such a pathetic one. He's so desperately missed on this team right now. Crosby is a guy that looks for Letang at the blueline, Sid out of any forward, utilizes Letang the most and almost regularly, some of the best game winner set-ups from Sid's stick are to Letang.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Why on Earth Sullivan refuses to ice HMK? You know, a proven line, both statistically and by the eye test? He rather to healthy scratch Hagelin and play Kunitz/Wilson in that spot tho...Like what even.
I get that time when Hagelin jast came back from an injury and needed limited minutes, but now? Not to mention, that Wilson-Rowney-Archibald line seems to have some chemestry as well.
At least he changed the 1st line right, but he never goes with the right options for the second line (Hagelin/Rust), which is very baffling.

And, yeah, Ruhwedel for Hainsey would be another logical swap.

Thank you.

Just blown away that this is so obvious. Wilson blows this series

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Putting this here too in case you don't read the GDT sign-up thread.

Someone uses images of mini jerseys to show the line-up. I've looked back 8 pages so far and cannot find any of the previous GDT.

Whoever it is, please PM me as I want something like that for tomorrow night.

Thanks

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Putting this here too in case you don't read the GDT sign-up thread.

Someone uses images of mini jerseys to show the line-up. I've looked back 8 pages so far and cannot find any of the previous GDT.

Whoever it is, please PM me as I want something like that for tomorrow night.

Thanks

Sent you as PM Clare... not sure if that's what you meant but hopefully it helps.

CrosbyForever*

May 1, 2017
Sidney Crosby to the media, after Nashville wins the cup in 6:

"at the end of the day, all the people who are rooting for me to fail, they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today, they got the same personal problems they had, today. You know, and I’m gonna continue to live the way I want to live"

sure, however if our current defenseman somehow played at Letangs level and/or higher, Letang could become a nonstarter...then he doesn't make bank...then he's less likely to pass on his genes to a super hot chick...its a downward spiral.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
sure, however if our current defenseman somehow played at Letangs level and/or higher, Letang could become a nonstarter...then he doesn't make bank...then he's less likely to pass on his genes to a super hot chick...its a downward spiral.

And then there are those of us who live in the real world rather than filled with absurd hypotheticals...

And just for your reference, Letang has already made bank, already married a hot chick, and already passed on his genes. And your entire scenario was already absurd to begin with

CrosbyForever*

May 1, 2017
And then there are those of us who live in the real world rather than filled with absurd hypotheticals...

And just for your reference, Letang has already made bank, already married a hot chick, and already passed on his genes. And your entire scenario was already absurd to begin with

the more offspring, the better

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Pretty sure there were a few different sequences in that 3rd period when Nashville was up 3-1 in which Subban just handled the puck behind his net and the crowd cheered. Like running the ball up by 10-14 in the 4th quarter in football. Tick, tick, tick.

We still blew some leads in the playoffs last year but more easily hung on for several 1-2 goal victories thanks largely to Letang. Also, that play he made for the Stanley Cup Winning Goal last year... nobody else on this D can do that. Nobody.

But enough. This can still be won without him, just won't be easy. Will need the stars, some puck luck, and a mediocre Rinne. All possible, at least.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Thank you.

Just blown away that this is so obvious. Wilson blows this series

If Wilson was practicing on the 1st line, would people on here flipping tables already? I'd say yes. But only Phil and Geno are so unlucky to have one of Wilson/Kunitz with them constantly.

Simply swapping places for Wilson and Hagelin from today's practice would be very logical right now. HMK and Wilson-Rowney-Archibald - two lines that worked in regular season and were never really tried this playoffs (for different reasons). Plus Wilson wasn't playing good in this series before getting scratched, so putting him on the 4th line against adequate competition would be more logical than putting him on the 2nd line, too.

winjr

Jun 7, 2017
Gang, I need help. I'm a negative person by nature and I'd like to change that. I am going to the game tomorrow with a ticket I can't sell because a friend helped me get it and it would be wrong to not go. Otherwise, I just don't want to go. I'm disgusted by the performance of this team in the finals and, as a Pens and hockey fan for over 40 years I honestly see zero chance they turn this around even though we are certainly the better team.

I had higher hopes for the 09 team that dropped the 5th game is amazingly pedestrian fashion.

For some reason, and I can't tell you why, I want this Cup more than the others and I mean that. I want this one more than I remember even wanting the 91 Cup at the time. I'm miserable right now and dreading dragging myself to this game and that just shouldn't be the case. It's a ticket to game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals, I should be excited for this and I'm just not. I had plans for Nashville on Sunday that I cancelled already. I've given up all hope.

I need a reason to believe and some reason to stop being so negative all the time.

Someone give me a reason to believe and look forward to the game rather then just hoping something happens I can get out of it.

Long time lurker ... first time poster ...

I'll be at Game 5. If there's even the slightest chance that Game 5 will be as much fun as Game 2, then ya gotta be there. Here's the fun my girlfriend and I had:

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I'm not sure what should be taken away from those lines, especially since it sounds like Horny was just a maintenance day and will play tomorrow. So that leads to a guessing game of who is acting as the placeholder for him? Was Sheary just on the top line for practice and Archibald was in Sheary's fourth line spot so that Horny can play with Sid? Was Wilson just slotting onto Geno's line while Rust played in Horny's spot on the third line?

Not sure if the game day skate tomorrow will make it any more conclusive. I just have a hard time taking away much from this practice and those lines. If you recall, Fleury practiced in the starter net after game three against Ottawa last round only to have MM take the game day skate as the starter and ultimately play from there on out. Obviously a different scenario at play here, but I think the point still stands.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Long time lurker ... first time poster ...

I'll be at Game 5. If there's even the slightest chance that Game 5 will be as much fun as Game 2, then ya gotta be there. Here's the fun my girlfriend and I had:

:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad