Speculation: The Stamkos Dream is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
:laugh:

1 person says he'll boo Stamkos and out comes the "this is why people don't want to come here."

okay there.
People love to overreact. Although personally I think just bolding the entire statement wasn't going far enough. If he really wanted to be silly....bold and all caps!

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
**** Stamkos. Enough with these ***** ass suburban ******* trying to use the leafs to drive up their price. Stamkos should be booed here he's done nothing but spit in the faces of leaf fans with the tweet nonsense

he signed for 4m a year less than what the most extreme here were suggesting :laugh: you potato

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
Can we all stop acting like babies here and recognize that signing with Tampa was clearly the best option for Stamkos in pretty much every aspect?

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
**** Stamkos. Enough with these ***** ass suburban ******* trying to use the leafs to drive up their price. Stamkos should be booed here he's done nothing but spit in the faces of leaf fans with the tweet nonsense

How?

He signed with Tampa for 8.5M per, so how did he use us to drive the price up?

He owed us nothing.

Lets not be petty now.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
Can't help but wonder if Leafs would've made that trade for Andersen if they knew how the Stamkos thing would unfold.

Agree with people who said it could be a blessing down the road. Hopefully this means they stick to the original rebuild instead of accelerated push for playoffs, even with Stamkos this would've been tough to achieve.

I doubt it, don't think Lou is the type to make a move that large based on something that MAY happen.

Don't get why many of you are planning on booing the guy? Pretty childish IMO, he never once said he had any intention of coming to Toronto, or even leaving Tb for that matter. This could have been a play by Stamkos the entire time to try and raise Yzerman's offer (Stevie Y looks likes an absolute boss right now BTW). This whole TO thing was a media made thing, he may have never had any intention of even considering coming to Toronto.

You all did it to yourself by penciling him into mock lineups for months and getting hung up on him. Would it have been great if he came? For sure he is a superstar, but not at 10m IMO. Before all this Stamkos talk the consensus was that the build was going tremendously, now many are calling him not signing detrimental to our rebuild. Just relax, we are no worse or better after this stamkos debacle.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I was excited about the possibility of a player like Stamkos hitting the open market. It happens so rarely I really wanted to see how it went down. I also wanted the Leafs to make an offer for a simple reason: it's really hard to get guys like him, because they become available so rarely. And, let's be honest, everybody wants a shiny new toy, right? It's only natural.

However, deep down, it didn't make a whole lot of sense for a team in the Leafs' situation to chase him.

They just finished dead last. All of their best assets are 18-22 years old. I know there are expectations in this forum that with Matthews and Marner the Leafs are suddenly a contender, but I think that's a tad unrealistic considering their age.

A more likely reality is this group matures together (along with other pieces yet to be added) for 2-3 years and then are in a position to make a leap. That's not to say I expect them to continue to finish at the bottom of the league. Improvement should happen as time goes by.

Realistically, by the time the Leafs are ready to make a leap Stamkos will be 29-30 and probably into his declining years with a 9+ million cap hit. I don't see how the presence of Stamkos would have helped accelerate the development curves of Rielly, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, etc.

Agree with everything. And yes, the bolded was my original thought for most of this past year.

Leafski

Jun 29, 2011
I can't remember the last UFA that came home to Toronto. He played games right up until the end. Boo him at the ACC. He will never win a cup in Tampa. At least I hope he doesn't.

What in the ****? What does it give you to be so bitter? Only stress. How childish.

He never made any promises.
He didn't play games despite what you may think. With the new 1 week open discussion period this year for free agents, he wanted to see what options there were.

I hope he DOES win, and many*

*As long as it doesn't interfere with the Leafs' runs when they are ready.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I don't wanna sound delusion and like I'm desperately grabbing at straws...

But why in the hell would he leave that deal on the table for months, and then accept it 1 day before his options open up? That doesn't make any sense on it's own.

This is ****in' weird. If things aren't official yet, I don't know that this is done.

Pretty logical. Get to the window to see what's out there but Yzerman put a deadline in place when the offer would come off the table.

In the end, grass wasn't greener apparently.

On we go.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Lets see no state tax, 8.5 mil a year for 8 years, house on the beach, sun all the time, young beautiful women everywhere....and he was gonna come to Toronto? I dont think so!

Don't forget fewer ******* reporters following him to every hot dog stand and bowling alley...:help:

What's funny is how well Tampa did in the playoffs without him...do they still even want/need him? He's the right age for them to win now at least. We're still a few years away. Totally fine with this outcome.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I doubt it, don't think Lou is the type to make a move that large based on something that MAY happen.

Don't get why many of you are planning on booing the guy? Pretty childish IMO, he never once said he had any intention of coming to Toronto, or even leaving Tb for that matter. This could have been a play by Stamkos the entire time to try and raise Yzerman's offer (Stevie Y looks likes an absolute boss right now BTW). This whole TO thing was a media made thing, he may have never had any intention of even considering coming to Toronto.

You all did it to yourself by penciling him into mock lineups for months and getting hung up on him. Would it have been great if he came? For sure he is a superstar, but not at 10m IMO. Before all this Stamkos talk the consensus was that the build was going tremendously, now many are calling him not signing detrimental to our rebuild. Just relax, we are no worse or better after this stamkos debacle.

This.

:handclap:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Wow. Left money on the table. Came all this way just to re sign? Odd but his right. I was 50 50. Lost rib blood clot broken leg. But still weird to play out like this.

How do you know? More likely he found he wasn't getting anymore.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
It's going to be really interesting to see how much interest Toronto even had in Stammer, and maybe even if they had any at all?

Could still happen... An NBA style sign and trade deal. Win win for everyone. Stammer gets his money, Tampa gets something and Toronto (or whereever he goes) get lower cap hit as the money is split in 8yrs instead of 7.

Why else would Tampa wait till last day to sign him?

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
Looking at it realistically, his best option probably was to just stay in Tampa - still makes plenty of money, familiarity, contending team, climate, etc.

It's disappointing, but I can't hate on the guy for making a decision that made sense for him personally. Booing him at games just seems like pouting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad