Confirmed with Link: The Stamkos Dream is Dead - He re-signs with Tampa Bay for 8 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Actually it's not much of a mystery at all.

He re-signed with a team that was one win away from back to back cup finals appearances. Tampa is still a very young team and have have proven themselves to a pretty good degree (certainly not perfect however).

Stamkos wants to win so it's not too baffling why he did what they did. It was either stay there and try win, or come here and wait 4-5 or so years for his chance to win.

People are really underselling this point imo. I think Stamkos would love to come if we showed even some promise. But we just finished last while his team was a win away from back to back Stanley Cup finals.

TBH I am feeling the tones of Gretzky here. Management blocked the deal and the picks we took at the draft after Mathews look like Burkies save for the foreign bit. I stuck with the team last year watching almost every game but this year I think I will cut back. They have a bunch of rookies and no actual leader with a personality to help these kids along. More leafs blowing smoke I'm not ready to get behind, Marlies should be fun. Not rookies on a leaderless team running around.

Don't you think you're being dramatic? Who exactly was the Stamkos that lead Toews and Kane? You're disappointed we didn't get Stamkos, I get that, but no need to be so over the top about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingPapi

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
People are really underselling this point imo. I think Stamkos would love to come if we showed even some promise. But we just finished last while his team was a win away from back to back Stanley Cup finals.

Don't you think you're being dramatic? Who exactly was the Stamkos that lead Toews and Kane? You're disappointed we didn't get Stamkos, I get that, but no need to be so over the top about it.

I hope Stamkos wins **** all for the rest of his career. To the Toews and Kane point, Hossa?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Regarding the taxes, an article I read before the signing outlined why it's pretty much a non-factor with Stamkos anyway due to the tax agreement between Canada and US, since he would pay Canadian taxes as a dual resident.

Anyone who makes $10,000 (or more) of their wages while being in Canada will have to submit a Canadian tax return. Having said that, the amount of taxes he pays to the Canadian government will be submitted as a credit for his U.S. tax return. That's one of the basic principles in the tax agreement you cite (aka double taxation).

I don't know Stamkos' accountant (of course), but I'd imagine he would advise him about how the "principle residence" rules work. He'd be better off being categorized (tax-wise) as a permanent resident of U.S.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I bought into all the hype that Stamkos was coming home. The tweets he favourited and whatever else was out there.

I am now convinced he played us for fools. He had no intention to sign here. This was his and his agents attempts to extort more money from Tampa.

At least your honest about it unlike others ......

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Anyone who makes $10,000 (or more) of their wages while being in Canada will have to submit a Canadian tax return. Having said that, the amount of taxes he pays to the Canadian government will be submitted as a credit for his U.S. tax return. That's one of the basic principles in the tax agreement you cite (aka double taxation).

I don't know Stamkos' accountant (of course), but I'd imagine he would advise him about how the "principle residence" rules work. He'd be better off being categorized (tax-wise) as a permanent resident of U.S.

I'm not sure if the players can set them up as corporations and get paid that way, aka like a contractor versus as an actual employee.

I believe they would almost need to be independent contractors from the aspect of workplace health and safety regulations that would probably come into effect as an employee versus a contractor.

if they are independent contractors, then they could have a company set up in a more tax advantageous state / country - they still have to pay tax on world wide income (corp tax) and then pay themselves out of the corporation for personal tax.

this is simply not as cut and dry as some do make it out be though.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
At least your honest about it unlike others ......

I don't see many people being dishonest. Quite a few Leafs fans didn't want Stamkos at over 10 million.

I sure understand the hate for Stamkos from a very small number of Leafs fans. Funny how when Tampa fans thought that he wouldn't sign there, the hate towards him was really over the top. Now they're back in love with him.

I think Leafs fans have every right to be disappointed. Stamkos is part of the problem with some of his actions or lack of such. Example was when he liked a number of tweets on Twitter.

I 100% believe he had no intention to come home and he played Toronto fans intentionally, in an attempt to force Yzerman to up Tampas offer.

Loyalty is a funny thing. Yes, I agree you can be loyal to the team that drafted you but like Zach Parise showed, you can be loyal to the area you grew up in and the team you cheered for as a kid.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Leafs fans have every right to be disappointed. Stamkos is part of the problem with some of his actions or lack of such. Example was when he liked a number of tweets on Twitter.

The disappointment is wearing off fast though. The whole Stamkos narrative was based on him being one of us during a turning point in the franchise, but from the point when he "liked those tweets" a few years ago, we've gone ahead and added Matthews and Marner...

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The disappointment is wearing off fast though. The whole Stamkos narrative was based on him being one of us during a turning point in the franchise, but from the point when he "liked those tweets" a few years ago, we've gone ahead and added Matthews and Marner...

Yes. I'm almost over it:laugh:

Things look good for us without Stamkos. I hope Leafs win a cup long before Tampa.
In fact I'd cheer for any team against Tampa now....yeah I know sour grapes:laugh:

buttman*

This thread needs to die. People like wollowing in despair. Kill it now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I say we let it run up to 1000 and once its locked, never have Stamkos dedicated messages on here again.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So many people pulling quick 180s on their opinions about Stamkos :laugh:

My opinion never changed at all: sub 70pt guys should not be paid $9m a year. Once the courting period was open I was actually surprised the club put the effort out they did. Apparently sub 70 point guys ARE worth $9m. Who knew? Anyways adios SS, you won't be missed.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I hope Stamkos wins **** all for the rest of his career. To the Toews and Kane point, Hossa?

Hossa wasn't on the team when Kane and Toews we're rookies. The closest thing is a 26 year old Sharp... If Toews and Kane can be elite with Sharp as the main leader, Im sure Matthews, Marner, and Willy will be fine with guys like JVR, Kadri, and Rielly.

Reactions: KingPapi

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't see many people being dishonest. Quite a few Leafs fans didn't want Stamkos at over 10 million.

Not disagreeing with the 2nd sentence, but that wasn't the specific question in focus here. Many people were interested in Stamkos.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

I sure understand the hate for Stamkos from a very small number of Leafs fans. Funny how when Tampa fans thought that he wouldn't sign there, the hate towards him was really over the top. Now they're back in love with him.

I 100% believe he had no intention to come home and he played Toronto fans intentionally, in an attempt to force Yzerman to up Tampas offer.

Loyalty is a funny thing. Yes, I agree you can be loyal to the team that drafted you but like Zach Parise showed, you can be loyal to the area you grew up in and the team you cheered for as a kid.

$8.5mil per season isn't exactly milking it. He's getting paid roughly what he should. I think he honestly wanted to take a look at the market and see what was available, but no option was closer to winning a stanley cup than Tampa.

I'm just glad we can put this all to rest now. I knew he wasn't going to come here. Offering the league max would've been giving up waaaay too much. Plus, we're still very much rebuilding. It's time to focus on the kids.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Ever since the Leafs won the lottery, Stamkos became a luxury more than a necessity.

Will be a slower build up but it'll be done with Matthews leading them instead of Stamkos.

I just want to throw in my 2 cents here... when the Pens drafted Malkin and crosby, they still didn't have a real shot to win for 3 years after crosby got there, and didn't win till 09 because there is an adjustment period to the NHL and to playoff hockey when you first get there... ..Stamkos just came back from Blood clots... that can be serious if it reoccurs ... there is a real chance the guy isnt even playing by the time the Leafs are ready to make a real run... Babcock was right about this... it likely wasn't a good fit for yinze guys... The guys the pens drafted while rebuilding after getting crosby like staal, were key in that cup run too...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Not disagreeing with the 2nd sentence, but that wasn't the specific question in focus here. Many people were interested in Stamkos.

many people were interested in Stamkos - but a a lot of those people also flat out said that it was a YAY if we got him and a whatever if we didn't. so I am really not getting the back flips, and the hard turns. that a lot of people were seeing.

like i said for me. I was team, "no thank you." then it was sure - why not, I think it would benefit the elite talent we have to play with elite talent but i wasn't going to throw the book at him. he didn't choose us, I don't want him. it's the same sentiment and feeling i've had about every player who contemplates signing with us but doesn't. why lament and fret over someone who doesn't want to be on your team.

my hope is
Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc hit up free agency and think "man why the hell would I leave Toronto, and the programme we've got going here." and sign pretty decent deal (that isn't buyout proof because that's gross).

and an edit - ilike i've said. Stamkos got this close and didn't want to come here. that's fine. like I am truly not upset. but what it did was pretty much killed the dream I've dreamed of wanting key people (period) being here. no more watches, no more wishing or dreaming. I'd rather focus on our babies. it's like i'm growed up :D

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We have our future core coming together now, and we don't need to go after those star players who were raised in anonymous Southern markets. I actually wonder if those guys like Stamkos, Staal, Nash could even stand up to the scrutiny of Toronto given all the years they spent on those easy going Southern teams. Not our problem.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
and an edit - ilike i've said. Stamkos got this close and didn't want to come here. that's fine. like I am truly not upset. but what it did was pretty much killed the dream I've dreamed of wanting key people (period) being here. no more watches, no more wishing or dreaming. I'd rather focus on our babies. it's like i'm growed up :D

I think upset is probably the wrong word. We have a lot to look forward to here in Toronto. But I'd say my perspective on Stamkos has soured somewhat because he didn't want to embrace the Leafs, and I'm not overly eager to discuss the possibility of Tavares, Seguin or anybody like that from a "hometown" angle. If we're addressing a positional need like a Subban, go and look into it, but I'm not that interested in the prodigal son storyline anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad