The St. Louis Blues...look bad

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Two things can be true at once. The offense was bad, no doubt. I think that was a series when Tarasenko had like 50% of the teams goals, maybe more.

The goaltending didn't do the forwards any favors either though. Allen lets in a couple absolutely back breaking goals. Goals that quality NHL goalies should not be letting in. That first goal in game 5 gave Minnesota all the momentum and sucked the energy out of the building. The offense was bad, but that doesn't allow Allen off the hook.

Bingo!

God bless you!

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
That's what I have been saying, Allen wasn't great. But acting like Allen was all at fault. Or that he killed the energy... etc. the Blues were doomed from the start then. GOOD teams - the offence picks up a guy when he lets in a bad goal here and there. Instead, the Blues responded by moping around and not scoring any goals. Which leads back to coaching and Hitch.

Putting so much blame on Allen is ridiculous. I have seen Crawford, Holtby, and heck even Roy and Brodeur let in some pretty bad goals in the playoffs. Difference is their team and coaching were able to overcome those situations. That's what good teams with a good coach do. The Blues and Hitch were not set up to be a good playoff team. You would be hard pressed to find ANY goalie that won a cup saying they played perfect and never let in a softie the entire playoffs on their way to the cup.

Acting like its OK for the team to go into a state of depression when Allen lets in one or two junky goals in a series and using that as an excuse to not score more than 1 goal a game in your losses is mind boggling. No wonder goalies hate playing in STL. They can't manage them and they get blamed for everything.
Goalies hate playing in St Louis? I have never heard that before... You keep bringing up Hitch, but I don't understand why. They got scoring chances. Watch the highlights supplied to you. The scoring chances were there. The players didn't bury. The offense was bad. The goaltending was bad. I am only specifically talking about Allen in 2015.

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Isn't it funny that very few in St. Louis blame Brian Elliott for losing to San Jose in 2016? Or even Jake Allen for 2017 vs Nashville?

It's almost like Blues fans can accurately acknowledge when goalies stink and when goalies don't stink.

Jake Allen just really stunk in 2015. It's ok to blame the goalie every once in awhile. The defense made life easy on him vs. Minnesota and he decided to let in 4 soft goals combined in Games 5 and 6. He murdered his team's chances.

This year? The defense just stinks.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Goalies hate playing in St Louis? I have never heard that before... You keep bringing up Hitch, but I don't understand why. They got scoring chances. Watch the highlights supplied to you. The scoring chances were there. The players didn't bury. The offense was bad. The goaltending was bad. I am only specifically talking about Allen in 2015.
Ask Brian Elliott, Ryan Miller, Roman Turek and Jaroslav Halak how fun it was to play net in STL. If you haven't heard what they have said about playing in STL you aren't paying attention.

Yup. That's it. The goaltending wasn't great the Offense was worse and the coaching was horrible. It was bad all around. That has been my whole point. People who blame an entire playoff series or season on one player (i.e. Allen in 2015, or JBo this year) need to grow up and pay attention.

I didn't bring up Hitch (Halak Ness Monster did in post #242) or 2015 Jake Allen (Halak Ness Monster did in post #256). Now he quit talking about it because he has been shut down and proven wrong. The stats say Allen wasn't awful (not great either) but the offense was worse and the Blues played in a defensive shell in the 2015 playoffs because that's Hitch hockey.

But lets just ignore that and blame Jake Allen for everything. o_O

Hitch was amazing, those first round exits were all the fault of the goaltending.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Jets have played them twice.

They are consistent goaltending away from a playoff spot at the end of the year.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Isn't it funny that just about everyone in STL blames Jake Allen for the 2015 playoff collapse when the Blues were scoring 1 GPG in their losses?

It's almost like Blues fans can't accurately acknowledge that Jake Allen allowed less goals per game in the 2015 playoffs (2.20) than Elliott in 2016 (2.44) and that their offense was much more to blame than the goaltending.

Ken Hitchcock just really stunk in 2015 (and 2012, 2013, 2014 and the regular season of 2017). It's ok to blame the goalie every once in awhile, I mean it is a TEAM sport but screw that noise! One guy ruined it for everyone even though he played better than the his counterpart that everyone said was the better goalie. The team made life easy on the coach getting either 1st or 2nd in the Central for 5 straight years but only make it to the conference finals once in those 5 years and Blues fans will just blame the goalie or some specific player that helped get them there instead of the system that was implemented that DID NOT WORK every. Single. Year. over and over and over again in the playoffs.

This year? The defense AND goaltending just stinks. Jake Allens GAA of 3.93 and sv% of .876 is the worst of all starters in the NHL. Yet Blues fans can only blame Jay Bouwmeester or one specific person on the team because they don't have the brain capacity to realize there is much more than just ONE part of the team that is playing like trash.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
People gave me all kinds of **** earlier this summer for saying the Blues weren't a good team.

Kind of funny. They have awful goaltending and an underwhelming Defense. And even the forward depth isn't what people thought it would be.

Not a good team on paper or in performance.

On paper it's good, it's just most of them are playing like hot garbage, and the coaching strategies have been a disaster. It would be one thing if players were playing to their ability, and the loses were still piling up.

I will say this though, Bouwmeester has somehow gotten worse, to the point that he is destroying Pietrangelo, who also isn't playing his best. If Bouwmeester continues to suck this bad, then our defense definitely isn't a strength anymore, and we will suffer.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Isn't it funny that just about everyone in STL blames Jake Allen for the 2015 playoff collapse when the Blues were scoring 1 GPG in their losses?

It's almost like Blues fans can't accurately acknowledge that Jake Allen allowed less goals per game in the 2015 playoffs (2.20) than Elliott in 2016 (2.44) and that their offense was much more to blame than the goaltending.

Ken Hitchcock just really stunk in 2015 (and 2012, 2013, 2014 and the regular season of 2017). It's ok to blame the goalie every once in awhile, I mean it is a TEAM sport but screw that noise! One guy ruined it for everyone even though he played better than the his counterpart that everyone said was the better goalie. The team made life easy on the coach getting either 1st or 2nd in the Central for 5 straight years but only make it to the conference finals once in those 5 years and Blues fans will just blame the goalie or some specific player that helped get them there instead of the system that was implemented that DID NOT WORK every. Single. Year. over and over and over again in the playoffs.

This year? The defense AND goaltending just stinks. Jake Allens GAA of 3.93 and sv% of .876 is the worst of all starters in the NHL. Yet Blues fans can only blame Jay Bouwmeester or one specific person on the team because they don't have the brain capacity to realize there is much more than just ONE part of the team that is playing like trash.

I know, it's shocking that there could be multiple reasons for a failure in the playoffs. One is scoring, and the other is JAKE ALLEN.

Try watching the games, our goalies really haven't been the main reason for the patheticness of the season. They are getting hung out to dry constantly. But, sure it's our brain capacity.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Ask Brian Elliott, Ryan Miller, Roman Turek and Jaroslav Halak how fun it was to play net in STL. If you haven't heard what they have said about playing in STL you aren't paying attention.

Yup. That's it. The goaltending wasn't great the Offense was worse and the coaching was horrible. It was bad all around. That has been my whole point. People who blame an entire playoff series or season on one player (i.e. Allen in 2015, or JBo this year) need to grow up and pay attention.

I didn't bring up Hitch (Halak Ness Monster did in post #242) or 2015 Jake Allen (Halak Ness Monster did in post #256). Now he quit talking about it because he has been shut down and proven wrong. The stats say Allen wasn't awful (not great either) but the offense was worse and the Blues played in a defensive shell in the 2015 playoffs because that's Hitch hockey.

But lets just ignore that and blame Jake Allen for everything. o_O

Hitch was amazing, those first round exits were all the fault of the goaltending.
Can you supply any kind of proof that goalies hated their time in STL? I have never seen anything suggesting that. Elliott asked for a trade because he wanted a shot to be the #1 guy somewhere, look how well it has worked out for him. Turek let in goals from the freaking redline in the playoffs, I think many blame him as a reason the 00-01 teams didn't win a cup (could be mistaken, I was young at the time). Halak spent time in the minors after being with the Blues... These aren't goalies that went on to have stellar careers after STL. Miller has gone on to be decent, but his time in STL was nothing to brag about.

]Was Hitch supposed to strap on skates and score goals? The opportunities were there to score. The team didn't cash in on their chances. Quick stood on his head every series against the Blues and Dubnyk played well in 2015, just watch the videos linked in here for proof of that. The offense just couldn't score on their chances. Nowhere did I blame Allen for everything. I have maintained that the offense was bad and that the goaltending didn't do them any favors.

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I know, it's shocking that there could be multiple reasons for a failure in the playoffs. One is scoring, and the other is JAKE ALLEN.

Try watching the games, our goalies really haven't been the main reason for the patheticness of the season. They are getting hung out to dry constantly. But, sure it's our brain capacity.
Its like you didn't even read what you quoted. :laugh:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Jets have played them twice.

They are consistent goaltending away from a playoff spot at the end of the year.

Defense. Offense is fine. Our defensive systems are absolutely atrocious. There is a reason why we give up the most high danger chances in the league

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Why are people coming in here to talk down our off-season acquisitions? They're playing way better than the guys who have been here for a while. Yeo is a huge problem, Allen is a huge problem, Bouwmeester is a huge problem. Pietrangelo doesn't look engaged at all. Tank either.

ROR is our best player right now. Maroon is proving a lot of people wrong who said he was only good because of linemates. Perron is killing it, and a lot of people (myself included) were skeptical of bringing him back. Bozak is a solid 3rd liner, which was the expectation coming into the season. Johnson kinda sucks, but that was known coming in. Nobody coming in is really underperforming or a detriment to our success. I feel like them being brough up is either hype backlash from the typical off-season over-analysis or just someone on their former fanbase taking a dig. None of these guys are disappointing. Not like Pietrangelo has been, Tarasenko has been, Schwartz has been, etc. It's almost like the longer you're here, the worse you play.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It’s still a bit too early to draw any conclusions about the Blues, but I think it’s becoming clear that they were overrated in the off-season.
Like every off season. Just watch, the same thingll happen against next off season. Its tradition here Ive noticed

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Off to a slow start. Only 1 pt away from .500 isnt bad considering how slow they started. D and goaltending has been poor. They’ve blown 4 3rd period leads so far too. It’s not as bad as most people are saying. They have loads of talent, they just need to tighten up their D. Offense looks good. Lots of scoring depth. All 4 lines can score. Best hockey is ahead of them

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lmao, I’m cracking up at fans of other teams coming into this thread saying “durr I told you so, their offseason acquisitions sucked lol”.

The new guys haven’t been part of the problem at all, and it’s been 10 games. The team will be fine.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Hey mike, one point away from .500 is awful even considering everything

Not considering how bad they’ve played. If .500 is as bad as they can possibly play, I think things will be fine. Every team goes through bad stretches, hopefully the Blues is just early on. Lots of new guys trying to mesh too.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Bozak is a solid 3rd liner, which was the expectation coming into the season. Johnson kinda sucks, but that was known coming in. Nobody coming in is really underperforming or a detriment to our success.

Really? His numbers look pretty ugly for a guy who's been solid. His Rel xGF is -5.8%!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad