GDT: The SS Kessel has Landed: Pens vs Hurricanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Okay, let's say Sid loves playing with Hornqvist, why would the Pens immediately put Kessel with Sid? I'm sorry but I saw frustration from Sid a bunch when teamed with Hornqvist last year outside of the pp.

Because, believe it or not, MJ doesn't make the lines based on who likes who. This isn't peewee aged hockey. You're making a completely logically faulty jump in logic, and that's being generous.

I see the same thing happening this year when Hornqvist is paired with Geno. Shouldn't the goal be to get wingers that are the perfect fit for both of our centers style of play rather trying to make something work?

Neal fit with Geno, that's why the trade never made sense to me. Instead of fixing Sid's line they messed with Gino's line and then neither line was comfortable last year.

This is not a slam on Hornqvist, the guy is a great wing that would be ideal with most center men.

Malkin looked frustrated with Hornqvist yesterday? Yeah, that's just not at all true.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not only do Hornqvist and Crosby show great chemistry on the ice but they appear to have it off the ice as well.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That defense in general looks... rough. Is Pouliot the overall most capable of that group? Kinda scary. Curious to see how Andersen does, too.

Is Mouillierat's first name pronounced like the vegetable?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Okay, let's say Sid loves playing with Hornqvist, why would the Pens immediately put Kessel with Sid? I'm sorry but I saw frustration from Sid a bunch when teamed with Hornqvist last year outside of the pp.

I see the same thing happening this year when Hornqvist is paired with Geno. Shouldn't the goal be to get wingers that are the perfect fit for both of our centers style of play rather trying to make something work?

Neal fit with Geno, that's why the trade never made sense to me. Instead of fixing Sid's line they messed with Geno's line and then neither line was comfortable last year.

This is not a slam on Hornqvist, the guy is a great wing that would be ideal with most center men.

Haha. You're writing fiction right now, my man. It even came out this season that Geno was upset when they took Hornqvist off his line last year. Sid routinely praised Hornqvist, and even said how they missed his presence when he was out of the lineup last year.

Let me guess, both of them were just making that stuff up?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That defense in general looks... rough. Is Pouliot the overall most capable of that group? Kinda scary. Curious to see how Andersen does, too.

Is Mouillierat's first name pronounced like the vegetable?

I would probably say the guys in the top pair would be the overall most capable.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Haha. You're writing fiction right now, my man. It even came out this season that Geno was upset when they took Hornqvist off his line last year. Sid routinely praised Hornqvist, and even said how they missed his presence when he was out of the lineup last year.

Let me guess, both of them were just making that stuff up?

So your opinion is Hornqvist is the ideal winger for Malkin? I think a line of Perron, Geno, Hornqvist will be a pretty dang good line if given time to develop chemistry.

My point is that Hornqvist holds a lot of value, is there someone else that they could trade for of equal value that might be the perfect fit for Geno.

Just throwing the idea out there since I thought it might be an interesting discussion.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
So your opinion is Hornqvist is the ideal winger for Malkin? I think a line of Perron, Geno, Hornqvist will be a pretty dang good line if given time to develop chemistry.

My point is that Hornqvist holds a lot of value, is there someone else that they could trade for of equal value that might be the perfect fit for Geno.

Just throwing the idea out there since I thought it might be an interesting discussion.

Yeah, Hornqvist is pretty ideal for Malkin, I'd say. He's a big body that goes to the net. Malkin tends to play well with guys who have the ability to bring defensemen away from him, and work the dirty areas of the offensive zone. Since Hornqvist takes more than one defenseman usually, it opens more room up for Malkin.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Nice try Rossi, we all know you want to push your "Crosby is gay" agenda :sarcasm:

I'll give Rossi some credit, that pause and what followed (something like "... I wouldn't say girlfriend") was some masterful baiting. You could fill in so many things to fill in the implied blank, gay, engaged, secretly married, pregnancy, **** buddy, etc. That ******* is great at getting people talking.

tbh, I think it might work out that he called Crosby's wrist his girlfriend. :laugh:

Looks like it. Poor Murray and Jarry

Pouliot
Lovejoy
Andersen (This guy has barely been mentioned so far)
AHL for sure & Scudchar

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm excited to see Murray and Jarry take the reigns for a game.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So because a player A got immediately usurped by Phil freaking Kessel, Sid doesn't like player A.

K..... I love the Internet. Let's focus on the least important part of a discussion. No one knows if Sid thinks Hornqvist is a good fit for him on his line. So for you guys to smugly back slap each other in agreement is nothing more than group/mob conjecture.

I do know as a FACT right before Duper went out that Sid was running with the KCD line again. And when asked about it, he talked about their success and comfort level.

I asked a valid question in regards to Hornqvist and I stand by my assessment that he isn't an ideal winger for our two top centers. Is he a very good wing, yes! Will he score a bunch this year, yes. Will he bring out the best in Malkin....TBD

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
K..... I love the Internet. Let's focus on the least important part of a discussion. No one knows if Sid thinks Hornqvist is a good fit for him on his line. So for you guys to smugly back slap each other in agreement is nothing more than group/mob conjecture.

I do know as a FACT right before Duper went out that Sid was running with the KCD line again. And when asked about it, he talked about their success and comfort level.

I asked a valid question in regards to Hornqvist and I stand by my assessment that he isn't an ideal winger for our two top centers. Is he a very good wing, yes! Will he score a bunch this year, yes. Will he bring out the best in Malkin....TBD

First, Sid does not like to play Hornqvist, anyone who thinks differently is living in fantasyland.

No one but you.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
K..... I love the Internet. Let's focus on the least important part of a discussion.

You mean the part which was your argument for trading Hornqvist? The flack you're receiving is your fault for making a baseless statement.
No one knows if Sid thinks Hornqvist is a good fit for him on his line. So for you guys to smugly back slap each other in agreement is nothing more than group/mob conjecture.

OK, no one knows. But you asserted that we were living in a FANTASY LAND for believing otherwise. You're the smug one here.

We've finally come to a reasonable argument that isn't skewed by your ridiculous attitude. OK, Hornqvist might not the ideal winger. Now, it's on you to argue that Yakupov (!) would be. I think it's just as likely that Sid or Malkin vomit onto themselves when he's on the ice than that he's fit to be a dependable sidekick. I think you're living in a fantasy land if you believe otherwise.

You know, I love the internet too. You need to adjust your style if you actually want serious reciprocation. I feel that you place a high value on agitation. Look at how you receive this board's supposed collectivism, and try to imagine how we receive your clear curmudgeonism.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
You mean the part which was your argument for trading Hornqvist? The flack you're receiving is your fault for making a baseless statement.

OK, no one knows. But you asserted that we were living in a FANTASY LAND for believing otherwise. You're the smug one here.

We've finally come to a reasonable argument that isn't skewed by your ridiculous attitude. OK, Hornqvist might not the ideal winger. Now, it's on you to argue that Yakupov (!) would be. I think it's just as likely that Sid or Malkin vomit onto themselves when he's on the ice than that he's fit to be a dependable sidekick. I think you're living in a fantasy land if you believe otherwise.

You know, I love the internet too. You need to adjust your style if you actually want serious reciprocation. I feel that you place a high value on agitation. Look at how you receive this board's supposed collectivism, and try to imagine how we receive your clear curmudgeonism.

Maybe you should read back to my original post. And then take a gander at the response that not only discounts, which is fair, but also belittles my post. That's when my "curmudgeonism" comes out.

And then people like to bandwagon and continue with "". Sorry, I don't play a patsy very well.

Disagree with my thought process, I like well thought out differing opinions. And I am also one of the few posters to admit when someone makes a strong counter point and admit I might be on the wrong side of a discussion. But I don't back away when people simply offer insults.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Fine then. I just felt like you skipped by the "I have a hunch that..." or "could it be true that..." angles of the Crosby-dislikes-Hornqvist idea and went right for the "you're living in a fantasyland" bit, and then wondered why you were being attacked.

Anyway, I've always been intrigued by Yakupov, but I feel like trading a unique player (on this roster) like Hornqvist for someone that unproven is a step backwards for our purposes. Big gamble.

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
We now have one of the best net front presences in the game, one of the best snipers in the game, and two of the best centers in the world. Anyone who ****s with any of that should be fired.

And, if someone can't make one of the hardest working net front presences in hockey work with either of our two best centers in the world, they should be fired, too.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Fine then. I just felt like you skipped by the "I have a hunch that..." or "could it be true that..." angles of the Crosby-dislikes-Hornqvist idea and went right for the "you're living in a fantasyland" bit, and then wondered why you were being attacked.

Anyway, I've always been intrigued by Yakupov, but I feel like trading a unique player (on this roster) like Hornqvist for someone that unproven is a step backwards for our purposes. Big gamble.

I agree, Yak would be a gamble and I think a Perron,Geno,Hornqvist line will be a very good line.

But Yak has elite speed and could be James Neal with wheels. How could that thought not make any fan curious.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Scuderi gets to dress. Too bad, i was hoping they would bully him out of town. Im still hoping for a trade, but since i know peace on earth has a bigger chance of happening, im not holding my breath.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Your assessment stinks - and there is fact behind that as both centers have said they like playing with him.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Neal fit with Geno, that's why the trade never made sense to me. Instead of fixing Sid's line they messed with Geno's line and then neither line was comfortable last year.

So let me get this straight. Sid, a super competitive guy, looked unhappy when the Pens were sucking down the stretch and Horny happened to be playing with him? Why is Horny still even in the league?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Alright, you're going a bit too fast for me right now. You're trying to tell me that Sid, the team's captain who never says anything bad about his teammates, said something positive about Dupuis when asked about him? I honestly don't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad