GDT: The SS Kessel has Landed: Pens vs Hurricanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think we've seen that a fast skating winger with limited skill doesn't do Crosby much good when teams clog it up. Kessel will provide him more space than he is used to, but that third wheel needs to be more than a fast skater.

While Dupuis and maybe a hustling Kunitz may get around the ice faster from point A to B, you have to factor in the flubbed passes, the golden chances they will shank, and their complete inability to dance around guys. Those are all factors that can hurt the Kessel/Crosby duo.

It'll be interesting how it shakes out. I'm all for trying everyone. I'm just not sure having another guy who can stickhandle on that line is more beneficial than someone who can help them in their own end, on the breakout and just interfere with D-men in the corners and around the net.

Down the line, I'd try Plotnikov there after he adjusts to the NHL game. Especially next season, after a hopefully long playoffs, when I don't want Kunitz or Dupuis anywhere near our top 6.

He'd also add the physicality and mean streak that duo could use. I don't think his skating is any worse than Kunitz or PH.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still wonder if Hornqvist fits either of Malkin's or Crosby's game which is why I questioned the trade from the start. I love Horny, but I see him fitting better with a center like Jordan Staal.

Hornqvist fits Crosby's game extremely well, which makes this entire first part irrelevant and false.

For this reason, would it be out of the question to ask if the Pens might trade him for a better option for Geno?? I still think that Yakupov would work wonders with Geno, to me it's a trade that would work for both teams. I know a lot of people here love, love, love Horny. But is he the ideal winger for Geno? That is the question that needs to be answered if we want to get to where we want to go.

Trading Hornqvist for Yakupov is so hilarious bad that I can't even laugh about how bad of an idea it is. Yes, let's trade our hardest worker who is one of the best net front presences in the NHL for an underachieving former 1st overall that has the hockey sense of a rock. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Hornqvist fits Crosby's game extremely well, which makes this entire first part irrelevant and false.

Trading Hornqvist for Yakupov is so hilarious bad that I can't even laugh about how bad of an idea it is. Yes, let's trade our hardest worker who is one of the best net front presences in the NHL for an underachieving former 1st overall that has the hockey sense of a rock. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

First, Sid does not like to play Hornqvist, anyone who thinks differently is living in fantasyland.

Second, I actually watched Edmonton a ton last year and I saw both the good and the bad from Yakupov. Yes this trade would come with some risk, but the good side of Yakupov is well worth it. He would bring elite speed and skill to Geno's line. This would stretch the defense and open a tremendous amount of space for Geno's creativity.

You don't like Yakupov, that's just YOUR opinion. But it's not funny that the Pens have a top 6 winger that doesn't fit with either of their 2 top centers.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

But, but, but Russian former 1st overall that has the hockey sense of a rock. The board had a Yakupov phase at one point.

He has some illness I believe. Double BB For the WIN

I always assume diarrhea unless they specify the illness.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It'll be interesting how it shakes out. I'm all for trying everyone. I'm just not sure having another guy who can stickhandle on that line is more beneficial than someone who can help them in their own end, on the breakout and just interfere with D-men in the corners and around the net.

Down the line, I'd try Plotnikov there after he adjusts to the NHL game. Especially next season, after a hopefully long playoffs, when I don't want Kunitz or Dupuis anywhere near our top 6.

He'd also add the physicality and mean streak that duo could use. I don't think his skating is any worse than Kunitz or PH.

I was pretty happy with his speed. Really happy actually.

He barely had the puck though, so it's hard to judge his skating with the puck. But he was alcohauling ass to loose pucks.

Other factors may prevent him from being an NHLer, but it won't be his straight line speed.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
That did come off a little harsh.

I don't often agree with UM (on things hockey) but he's a good guy. Even just his contributions to GDTs alone are pretty impressive.
I thought is was a good friendly ball busting but I can see how it might come off differently. He does seem like a good guy.

That said, his post made me :facepalm:

;)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
First, Sid does not like to play Hornqvist, anyone who thinks differently is living in fantasyland.

"Yeah, anyone who doesn't have my completely out to lunch opinion that I have absolutely no proof for is living in fantasy land!!!!!"

What's your evidence for saying that Sid doesn't like playing with Hornqvist?

Second, I actually watched Edmonton a ton last year and I saw both the good and the bad from Yakupov. Yes this trade would come with some risk, but the good side of Yakupov is well worth it. He would bring elite speed and skill to Geno's line. This would stretch the defense and open a tremendous amount of space for Geno's creativity.

You don't like Yakupov, that's just YOUR opinion. But it's not funny that the Pens have a top 6 winger that doesn't fit with either of their 2 top centers.

Just repeating that Hornqvist doesn't fit in with either of their top-2 centers doesn't make it any more true. Yakupov sucks and has done nothing in his career other than be a massive disappointment on a cluster **** of a team. He's a fast skater and has a good shot. That's basically it though. Why anyone would think trading Hornqvist for Yakupov is a good idea, I don't know.

But, but, but Russian former 1st overall that has the hockey sense of a rock. The board had a Yakupov phase at one point.

If Yakupov wouldn't be Russian, I guarantee that no one would be suggesting trading for him to play with Malkin.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not super enthusiastic about Malkin and Hornqvist's chemistry. But I wouldn't like that trade, either. I think Yakupov could probably be had for less at some point as a project, anyway. And I just really love the way Hornqvist plays the game. He's always going to at least be effective on any line, completely tortures other teams in front of their own net and as cliche as it sounds... really does play a playoff style of hockey.

I thought is was a good friendly ball busting but I can see how it might come off differently.

Yeah. That's what it was meant to be. It just sounded kinda dickish when I read it back a bit ago. Moreso than usual, I mean.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
". He's a fast skater and has a good shot. That's basically it though. Why anyone would think trading Hornqvist for Yakupov is a good idea, I don't know.

Yea, elite speed with an excellent shot isn't the foundation for a great player is it?

I'm not going to argue with someone who bases what they know of a guy by what they read on message boards. I actually watched the kid play over 25 times last year, both early in the season and at the end. Two different players, as was the Oiler team.

You shouldn't be so SURE of yourself when you are simply regurgitating other opinions you get from hockey boards.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'm not super enthusiastic about Malkin and Hornqvist's chemistry. But I wouldn't like that trade, either. I think Yakupov could probably be had for less at some point as a project, anyway. And I just really love the way Hornqvist plays the game. He's always going to at least be effective on any line, completely tortures other teams in front of their own net and as cliche as it sounds... really does play a playoff style of hockey.

I enjoy how every western conference team loses their #($* when they play against him too. He'll be a royal pain in any 7 game series, but especially one against the usual suspects out west, when and if we get back to the SCF.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't think Malkin and PH are ever going to look pretty together. As long as they're producing, it doesn't matter.

I always looked at PH as an ideal third wheel on a scoring line. I think the LW with Malkin will make or break the line. PH will keep playing his game either way.

MJ mentioned Plotnikov needing to play a give and go game with Malkin. If he can't do that, then I hope Bennett or Perron get that shot to.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think Malkin and PH are ever going to look pretty together. As long as they're producing, it doesn't matter.

I always looked at PH as an ideal third wheel on a scoring line. I think the LW with Malkin will make or break the line. PH will keep playing his game either way.

MJ mentioned Plotnikov needing to play a give and go game with Malkin. If he can't do that, then I hope Bennett or Perron get that shot to.

I think that all makes a lot of sense, yeah. And I mean... fair enough. Maybe I'm just getting too caught up in the aesthetics of the whole thing. But obviously (like you said) Malkin really thrives on the give and go, some e/w plays and an all around "skilled" game, as general sounding as that is.

Also... couldn't agree more re: BB and Perron. I think either SHOULD fit well, there.

I enjoy how every western conference team loses their #($* when they play against him too. He'll be a royal pain in any 7 game series, but especially one against the usual suspects out west, when and if we get back to the SCF.

Yeah, good call. He seems to especially love playing against Western teams.

Hornqvist just kind of seems built for high stakes games. There was a lot that kinda went off the rails last season. But I never remember Horns being part of the problem. He was also (predictably) one of the team's only bright spots in the postseason.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Hornqvist has a pretty universal game now that I think about it. Go to the net, battle for the puck, forecheck with intensity, dirty areas, 110%. He might fit better with different players but it's highly unlikely that he won't work with someone or on a line. Like old Kunitz, they're doing completely necessary things and that will fit pretty much anywhere unless it's an extreme case.

The other winger becomes more important to the whole chemistry/fit part because Hornqvist will keep chugging along. Perron and Malkin chemistry it up and Hornqvist does his thing. Not that Horny can't have chemistry and benefit from it, but he's not dependent on it to be highly effective

:heart: U Horny

If Yakupov wouldn't be Russian, I guarantee that no one would be suggesting trading for him to play with Malkin.

Yeah, pretty much. Plus the Pens already went out and got Malkin a Russian, two Russians, an old one and a young on. Well, Malkin recruited him and Crosby also talked him up... the scouts were busy trying to find the next Scuderi.

It just sounded kinda dickish when I read it back a bit ago. Moreso than usual, I mean.

- signed the internet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yea, elite speed with an excellent shot isn't the foundation for a great player is it?

I'm not going to argue with someone who bases what they know of a guy by what they read on message boards. I actually watched the kid play over 25 times last year, both early in the season and at the end. Two different players, as was the Oiler team.

You shouldn't be so SURE of yourself when you are simply regurgitating other opinions you get from hockey boards.

Elite speed and shot (which they aren't elite, btw) aren't nearly as much of a foundation of a great player as hockey IQ is. Which Yakupov doesn't have. You can say how many times you watched Yakupov all you want, it doesn't make the idea any less bad. It's just a bad idea. Hornqvist is a vastly superior player in all situations. Yakupov is younger and was drafted higher. That's all he has on Hornqvist.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hornqvist won't necessarily be a guy who feeds off of Malkin like Neal did, but Hornqvist will make room for Malkin to do a whole lot more on his own. With Hornqvist, I expect to see Geno get in one of "those" modes this season.

May 10, 2010
Okay everyone, let's simmer down a bit. What if they are playing Kunitz with Crosby to increase his trade value?

Because that's never once seemed to actually come to fruition in any of the billion per day posts about that sort of thing happening with any player.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Please respond to the question regarding Crosby not liking to play with Hornqvist.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Since when has Sid not liked playing with Hornqvist? I missed that one.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Since when has Sid not liked playing with Hornqvist? I missed that one.

Since we're doing that thing where we assign feelings, thoughts and emotions to the players. Right now Phil is sad and misses Bozak, Sid is hungry and will gorge on candy, Geno is homesick, Hornqvist hates Perron, Perron hates Maatta, Letang feels sick, Bennett is stuck in something and will fake an injury to get out of a long roadtrip, Kunitz needs a steak but is too faint to get it, Fleury feels anxious and will have a horrible season, Bonino hates playing with Bennett, Plotnikov is a KGB agent and Maatta hates being on the ice with Crosby. Phil also hates the yinzers and wants to be traded because Crosby and Malkin have that going out last history.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Game 3 roster announced:

e21c0b839b5196b56eb5b13fd58d8168.png

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Okay, let's say Sid loves playing with Hornqvist, why would the Pens immediately put Kessel with Sid? I'm sorry but I saw frustration from Sid a bunch when teamed with Hornqvist last year outside of the pp.

I see the same thing happening this year when Hornqvist is paired with Geno. Shouldn't the goal be to get wingers that are the perfect fit for both of our centers style of play rather trying to make something work?

Neal fit with Geno, that's why the trade never made sense to me. Instead of fixing Sid's line they messed with Geno's line and then neither line was comfortable last year.

This is not a slam on Hornqvist, the guy is a great wing that would be ideal with most center men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad