OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
A well-deserved sacking. Chelsea look completely punchless. I'm sure no one is happier than Pulisic, though.
Probably deserved sacking but was also a victim of a new owner who doesn't understand how things work. Yeah it's coaches fault that Pulišić sucks, what a waste of talent.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Tuchel got less from everyone, not just Pulisic.
Of course it's Tuchel's fault too. Just imagine, you win Champions league in May of 21, spend over 400m € on new players since and you have this shit of a team. This should be a super team by now with all that spending and being just crowned the best team in the world. New owner comes in, spends huge money (overpays every transfer big time), thinks he knows what he's doing and he doesn't. The biggest proof is that he wanted Ronaldo and argued the whole summer with Tuchel about that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Imagine if the president died of old age and they shut the NFL down. Just makes no sense to me.
I was surprised myself...but tbh a king or queen in England is more important to the population there than any president here for reasons that veer into the political realm. Just on a macro level though, this isn't an ideal season to have a postponement when the EPL schedule's already condensed over the fall World Cup.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I was surprised myself...but tbh a king or queen in England is more important to the population there than any president here for reasons that veer into the political realm. Just on a macro level though, this isn't an ideal season to have a postponement when the EPL schedule's already condensed over the fall World Cup.
Yeah, I get it's not an apples to apples comparison. Just seems like a weird thing to call off in this case. It would make more sense to me if the monarch was assassinated or something.

But yes, everyone is going to need deep benches to get through this year.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Apparently the roster for the USMNT friendlies is 85% done already. If Berhalter passes on guys like James Sands, Sam Vines, or Cameron Carter-Vickers so he can play a domestic league piece of shit like Aaron Long, I'm going to lose it.

I also can't say with certainty that Joe Scally is going to be called up in spite of him already being one of the better defenders in the Bundesliga at 19 years old. It's a shame. He's really locking it down for Gladbach, He's definitely gotta be part of the 2026 side if nothing else.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Apparently the roster for the USMNT friendlies is 85% done already. If Berhalter passes on guys like James Sands, Sam Vines, or Cameron Carter-Vickers so he can play a domestic league piece of shit like Aaron Long, I'm going to lose it.

I also can't say with certainty that Joe Scally is going to be called up in spite of him already being one of the better defenders in the Bundesliga at 19 years old. It's a shame. He's really locking it down for Gladbach, He's definitely gotta be part of the 2026 side if nothing else.

Deal with it

Last edited:
Reactions: Basement Cat

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Swear to f***ing God we have the single worst conditioning in FIFA. Every single goddamn friendly window we lose half our potential starters. The Queen did us a favor by dying and postponing multiple games with USMNT roster players. Thanks Liz!

I'm interested in Johnny, though. He might be a stud, he's already tearing it up in Brazil.

Groningen goal aside, I'd rather have Pefok as striker than Pepi. I know Berhalter has his system but I'd rather go with the hot hand.
Oh how will we ever recover from picking Aaron Long over proven studs like James Sands and Sam Vines? I swear for some USMNT supporters, it's ONLY about where you play. Aaron Long is good enough to get James Sands' minutes at Rangers.
No he isn't, he screws up constantly for NYRB. People on Twitter have posted entire montages of it. He was getting European interest prior to this season but I don't know if that's going to happen now. Meanwhile, Sands put up a respectable effort in a blowout loss to Ajax. Rangers would be stupid to let him go back to NYCFC.

Vines has already been picked for the friendlies but I assume that it's going to be a dogfight for one Qatar spot between him and Scally. He's been holding it down for Antwerp, who's perfect so far. Although if I had to pick, I think Scally will make the final roster. Not even 20 and he's one of the Bundesliga's best defenders.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Long isn't in Europe bc he was a late bloomer and then had an unfortunate injury that has probably closed that door for him. Otherwise, he would be at some Championship or Belgian side and the Twitter brigade would find some new anti-MLS/GGG agenda to harp on.

Don't get me wrong, I don't rate any of our CB's at the moment and it is by far my biggest concern for Qatar over GK and striker. I just laugh at the idea that bringing Long over Sands, EPB, McKenzie, whoever it's going to be, is such a big deal. All of these guys will be substandard for the WC. This is the weakest CB group that the US has brought to the tournament since I became a supporter in 2009.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Man.... the Red Bulls are frustrating. It's a shock looking at the standings and seeing them 3rd in the conference in 5th in the league. They really haven't played like it. They can hardly win at home, got shut out twice by NYCFC, don't have an actual striker.

Maybe this will be the season they make some noise in the playoffs considering the regular season has been non sensical and stressful.

Don't get me started on Juventus. DISASTER.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Man.... the Red Bulls are frustrating. It's a shock looking at the standings and seeing them 3rd in the conference in 5th in the league. They really haven't played like it. They can hardly win at home, got shut out twice by NYCFC, don't have an actual striker.

Maybe this will be the season they make some noise in the playoffs considering the regular season has been non sensical and stressful.

Don't get me started on Juventus. DISASTER.

I feel you. For me, it's another year where ownership has failed us in adding just ONE additional piece to make them a true Cup contender. This year it was a striker. In 2018, another winger so we weren't relying on Muyl come crunch-time. In most of the Henry seasons, a stud CAM so he didn't need to drop back as much to orchestrate. There is also a daunting winter transfer window on the horizon where they might lose Tolkin, Long, Duncan, CCJ, and Morgan.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
For the Red Bulls, it’s interesting to see a decent amount of fans I interact with think Struber is mediocre to “ok” as a coach when he’s taken a roster with a lot of difficulties and coached them to a good season.

Before the season a lot of fans thought there wouldn’t be playoffs and now they’re still competing for a home game in the playoffs.

I wonder how surprised Struber has been that they spent money on him and his assistants but haven’t done as much spending on the roster.

I don’t mind not spending but then you need to developing more guys like Tolkien and identifying more under appreciated guys like Morgan.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I feel you. For me, it's another year where ownership has failed us in adding just ONE additional piece to make them a true Cup contender. This year it was a striker. In 2018, another winger so we weren't relying on Muyl come crunch-time. In most of the Henry seasons, a stud CAM so he didn't need to drop back as much to orchestrate. There is also a daunting winter transfer window on the horizon where they might lose Tolkin, Long, Duncan, CCJ, and Morgan.
I have never been a Red Bull Out supporter until this transfer window. They completely screwed up their transfers. Fletcher back to the UK, Pasher never played a second and was cut for refusing to play with RB2, and they only signed Duncan and this Brazilian kid who couldn't score in Brazil's lower division for the rest of the season.

Coupled with the players you mentioned they most likely will lose after this season, and I don't know what's going to happen. Also add Caden Clark to that list since he was loaned back to us.

What made it worse was Struber stating multiple times that the transfers and signings are not up to him and he has nothing to do with it.

RB2 is an absolute joke. 3 wins 5 draws 22 losses.

Off the pitch, they announced a few years ago they were selling the naming rights to the stadium: never did.

They hired a company to facilitate non soccer events at RBA like concerts and more: never did.

They tarped the upper level and unveiled plans for a club/bar area and improvements to the area: never did. Tarps are gone. Nothing changed.

What HAVE they done? All they do is invite social media influencers and celebs to games for photo ops and social media posts.

Struber said: "We're not LAFC"

He's damn right. Tied for the best record in the league. Spending money on players. Selling out their stadium.

This situation is depressing and they have absolutely no desire to make it better.

For the Red Bulls, it’s interesting to see a decent amount of fans I interact with think Struber is mediocre to “ok” as a coach when he’s taken a roster with a lot of difficulties and coached them to a good season.

Before the season a lot of fans thought there wouldn’t be playoffs and now they’re still competing for a home game in the playoffs.

I wonder how surprised Struber has been that they spent money on him and his assistants but haven’t done as much spending on the roster.

I don’t mind not spending but then you need to developing more guys like Tolkien and identifying more under appreciated guys like Morgan.
Well we all know that Red Bull seasons usually end in the most hilariously depressing fashion. They will work hard to get a home playoff game... then lose that game.

5 Wins in 16 games at home. UGH.
I remember going 2012-2018. When you walked through those doors and up those stairs there wouldn't even be a sliver of doubt in my mind that they would win at home every time.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Good post @Devils731. Totally agree that Struber has this roster over-performing considering the lack of striker talent, fullback depth, and no Reyes for half the season.

And @njdevil26 - boy do I share in that nostalgia with you. I used to organize tailgates bringing 20-30 friends, usually at least a handful of first timers for every one. It was a freakin blast. We knew that place was a fortress. It all changed once Marsch left (I still contend that Marsch and Adams were a wonderful bandaid for what was already a sinking ship that ownership abandoned after Henry retired - focus was no longer "win-now"). I still did a couple last season and they were fun, but didn't do a single one this season. The playing style is absolutely dreadful and there is no marquee player to draw anyone in.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I don't get the Struber hate that some people give him too, even fire Struber chants at one point by a small amount of people.

For me he's taken this roster which is absolute chicken shit and turned it into chicken salad. They have no business being in 3rd place but here they are.

I'd love to see what he could do with a roster that provided a real striker and if they actually spent money on really good players instead of just a bunch of good hands.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
The Red Bull apologists on Twitter have convinced themselves that Struber is a problem and any striker would struggle to score in this system. Pretty amusing mental gymnastics that they play.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
s
This is where the Long haters lose me. If he was the one who f'd up like Mckenzie did in the Nations League final, we would never hear the end of it. I just don't see enough of a difference between guys like Long, Mckenzie, EPB, CCV to want to wish injury upon Long for taking one of their spots. Literally all 4 suck on the ball. Long is the most athletic of the bunch. CCV is small for a CB. They all have pros and cons.
i also wonder if the team considers Long as disaster depth at DM and possibly wing back since he started as a DM and has been playing a little like a wing back at times this year.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
s

i also wonder if the team considers Long as disaster depth at DM and possibly wing back since he started as a DM and has been playing a little like a wing back at times this year.

Perhaps on the DM front. But fullback/wingback I don’t see it. I think GGG likes that he is comfortable playing in both a 2 CB and 3 CB formation. I think Acosta is fullback depth before Long is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad