OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Unless USA gives up 6 or more goals against Costa Rica, they're automatically in the World Cup. In the unlikely event that happens, they play New Zealand or the Solomon Islands for the intercontinental playoff match.

Think it's safe to say they're not missing out this time.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
what a highly blah game today .....macedonia 0 / 2 portugal

a very forgettable game..... portugal was fine and did have their 2 goals......but fine is all they strived for it seemed .....macedonia had the modus operandi of: take the ball pass center line and MAYBE into the 3rd third with every movement into territory resulting in errant passes, giveaways, takeaways,

sloppy as f***.

this was a gravy game for them with the chance to go on after the defeat of italy. no pressure. and they werent even decent to put it mildly

.....at the same time portugal didnt pull the 'go forward, advance, no option retreat ......and repeat' ....like spain does.

they also didnt run it hard forward all the time ....took their breaks forward when they were given (as they should).....basically pressed just enough i'll say

but ya.....game was not a classic by any means. it was bad

Last edited:

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I'd rather have not seen such awful setpiece defending that led to 2 goals, but after the disaster that was the 2018 qualifying campaign I'll just take the USMNT getting in the World Cup and not grumble too much. Hopefully we're playing with a healthy McKennie, Dest, and Aaronson along with everyone else staying healthy come Qatar 2022.

Edit: Oh that's right they're holding this in December because FIFA are cartoonishly corrupt

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So the US gets a group with England (hah), Iran (okay) and the Euro playoff winner (likely Wales, which would be brutal). Not an impossible group but they won’t be favored against anyone but Iran, maybe Ukraine or Scotland if they beat Wales.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So the US gets a group with England (hah), Iran (okay) and the Euro playoff winner (likely Wales, which would be brutal). Not an impossible group but they won’t be favored against anyone but Iran, maybe Ukraine or Scotland if they beat Wales.
I'm still amazed all these years later that the US can't assemble 11 world class players on one team. My kids suggest that it's because US kids don't have high level academies but that sounds overly simplistic. Soccer has been around since I was a kid and over the past 45 years they should have been able to up the level of US players. We've managed to close the gap on Canada in hockey in that time, we are still dominant in basketball and compete favorably in baseball. I'm not expect a World Cup win but at least be one of the better teams and get to the final 8 or so a few times.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
For one our best athletes never play soccer since it’s not the moneymaker of all the major sports for individuals unless you’re a world class talent, although yeah you’d figure by now the US would have managed to get past the round of 16 more than once (well twice but the other was in 1930). Although the US has a younger team now it’s still a bit annoying they’ve been caught and arguably passed by Canada of all teams.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm still amazed all these years later that the US can't assemble 11 world class players on one team. My kids suggest that it's because US kids don't have high level academies but that sounds overly simplistic. Soccer has been around since I was a kid and over the past 45 years they should have been able to up the level of US players. We've managed to close the gap on Canada in hockey in that time, we are still dominant in basketball and compete favorably in baseball. I'm not expect a World Cup win but at least be one of the better teams and get to the final 8 or so a few times.
This is the youngest US team and it has the most players playing at the top level of club soccer. The growth at the top level is happening right now.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
My understanding is that academies are the issue. We just don't have the infrastructure/coaching. That and what parent really pushes their kid towards following a career path in soccer?

If you have any inkling of being an exceptional athlete at a young age you're playing football, basketball, baseball, or hockey - in that order but regionally dependent.

I know the soccer fans hate to hear it, and for good reason as it can be a cool game to watch, but it's just never going to happen. Enjoy the wins over Mexico - and now Canada apparently - and pray to make it to the quarter-finals someday. Because that's likely to be as good as it's going to get in our lifetime.

Though for the record, I'd like to eat my words on the matter.

Last edited:

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I'm still amazed all these years later that the US can't assemble 11 world class players on one team
They could do it now, honestly, were it not for injuries in every single qualifying window. The thing is that their oldest regular roster player is in his late 20s. They're very young, and already they have multiple players making a difference for significant European contenders (Pulisic at Chelsea, Adams at Leipzig, Aaronson at Salzburg, McKennie at Juventus). I'd like them to make the round of 16, but next World Cup will be crucial. If it isn't "win now" in 2026 it'll be damn close.

My3Sons

Sponsor
They could do it now, honestly, were it not for injuries in every single qualifying window. The thing is that their oldest regular roster player is in his late 20s. They're very young, and already they have multiple players making a difference for significant European contenders (Pulisic at Chelsea, Adams at Leipzig, Aaronson at Salzburg, McKennie at Juventus). I'd like them to make the round of 16, but next World Cup will be crucial. If it isn't "win now" in 2026 it'll be damn close.
The US doesn't have tons of youth hockey players relatively speaking and we produce world class talent. It looks to be about 450k players in the most recent survey of US Hockey. In contrast a quick google search suggests there are about 3 million youth soccer players. That should be enough to find about 10 world class players just about every year.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The US doesn't have tons of youth hockey players relatively speaking and we produce world class talent. It looks to be about 450k players in the most recent survey of US Hockey. In contrast a quick google search suggests there are about 3 million youth soccer players. That should be enough to find about 10 world class players just about every year.

croatia has 4 million people and they compete. no excuses. :naughty:

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
US soccer is very biased towards certain parts of the country over others. Historically, the best USMNT players have come from New Jersey, North Texas, and Southern California. Thankfully, that's getting better and is bolstered by multi-nationals who choose to play for us.

My3Sons

Sponsor
US soccer is very biased towards certain parts of the country over others. Historically, the best USMNT players have come from New Jersey, North Texas, and Southern California. Thankfully, that's getting better and is bolstered by multi-nationals who choose to play for us.
I played soccer through high school and even back then it was a growing sport in the US. I'm amazed it's taking this long. I'd be excited to watch a US mens' team that can have the kind of success the women's team has had. If the women can get it together the men should also be able to do that.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I played soccer through high school and even back then it was a growing sport in the US. I'm amazed it's taking this long. I'd be excited to watch a US mens' team that can have the kind of success the women's team has had. If the women can get it together the men should also be able to do thaet's be honest, you couldn't throw, tackle, pitch, hit, skate, or shoot at a high enough level.

Let's be honest, you couldn't throw, tackle, catch, pitch, hit, skate, or shoot at a high enough level.

Americans will never care about soccer. It's just not in the cards.

For the record, the only thing I'm even close to capable of doing is throwing. So it's not an insult.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Let's be honest, you couldn't throw, tackle, catch, pitch, hit, skate, or shoot at a high enough level.

Americans will never care about soccer. It's just not in the cards.

For the record, the only thing I'm even close to capable of doing is throwing. So it's not an insult.
I enjoyed playing goalie in soccer. I ended up as a stopper in what was a 1980's diamond defense because I could run well. I ended up playing because my town made it easy growing up. I could walk to games if my folks couldn't take me and all I had to bring were cleats. The baseball field was a far drive and other sports really required a lot of effort to even sign up for. In today's world I'm sure it's much different.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Not a soccer fan but I went to a game at Camp Nou a couple days ago. That was fun.
One of my goals is to see soccer in Europe. It's got to be a trip. I went to a Timbers game when I went to Portland a few years ago, and standing was mandatory because everyone was drumming, chanting, holding up stuff, etc. It was a full 90 minutes of the crowd totally into it. I'm convinced that seeing soccer for one of the big Euro clubs has to be the greatest fan experience in sports- imagine that times three. Very hard to not get into that.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
One of my goals is to see soccer in Europe. It's got to be a trip. I went to a Timbers game when I went to Portland a few years ago, and standing was mandatory because everyone was drumming, chanting, holding up stuff, etc. It was a full 90 minutes of the crowd totally into it. I'm convinced that seeing soccer for one of the big Euro clubs has to be the greatest fan experience in sports- imagine that times three. Very hard to not get into that.
Thats the problem - it's not (with big teams), only in big games and even then not always. Expensive tickets have killed that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad