OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

Aug 10, 2010
NJ
Why should I care about the Leagues Cup if the league can’t get anyone to care about the US Open Cup, an actual meaningful competition. It stinks the red bulls will most likely qualify for this many times in the next few years.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Last season was my 1st properly followed season of PL. Been a reds fan since late 90s but havent really paid attention to it.

This season got in on my friends' fantasy league. This is so freaking exciting as each team only plays once a week and some players are benched, minus points for cards, missed penalties etc. Much much more exciting than hockey fantasy. Perhaps comparable to NFL.

I watched all saturday soccer just to follow my picks in draft. 10 player league, 150 picks, so you also have tossers in your team.

Reactions: New Jersey

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
SOMETHING ABOUT PENALTY SHOOTOUTS IN ISTANBUL.

**** off, Pulisic. :naughty:

It's only a friendly cup. I bet the players couldn't wait for it to be over and get back home to get ready for proper matches at the weekend. They should keep it in Western Europe and skip extra time.

I don't have a problem with Champions League and Europa League finals being held anywhere in Europe but this kind of game that isn't important and makes teams travel across the continent (1500+ miles London to Istanbul (1700+ for Liverpool) and two time zones) in between league matches isn't needed.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
It's only a friendly cup. I bet the players couldn't wait for it to be over and get back home to get ready for proper matches at the weekend. They should keep it in Western Europe and skip extra time.

I don't have a problem with Champions League and Europa League finals being held anywhere in Europe but this kind of game that isn't important and makes teams travel across the continent (1500+ miles London to Istanbul (1700+ for Liverpool) and two time zones) in between league matches isn't needed.

It's still European silverware, and beating Chelsea for it makes it that much sweeter. Sure, it's a "friendly" cup, but I don't particularly care for that asterisk.

I do agree about this match needing to stay in Western Europe, but it's just one of those things with modern football, bid processes, etc.

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
It's still European silverware, and beating Chelsea for it makes it that much sweeter. Sure, it's a "friendly" cup, but I don't particularly care for that asterisk.

I do agree about this match needing to stay in Western Europe, but it's just one of those things with modern football, bid processes, etc.

They should include the Community Shield if they want to call the Super Cup a "real" trophy.

Just one of those things no fan in Europe seriously cares about winning.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The term, "embarrassing" gets overused in sports, but this Team USA defense is legit embarrassing. Passing the ball directly to Mexican players, and in dangerous areas to boot, it honest-to-god reminds me of a women's game in that regard.

And I've never seen a worse passing game from a goalie at this level than Steffen is putting in tonight. Twice in the first half he gave the ball away to Mexican players directly leading to scoring chances, and several other times he wasnt even close and fired balls out-of-bounds.

EDIT: OMG, and THERE is IS!!!!! Literally TWO minutes after I post this Steffen passes a ball directly to a Mexican player only about 7 yards away in the box!!!!! Someone investigate if Steffen is trying to throw this game $$$$$$.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
The term, "embarrassing" gets overused in sports, but this Team USA defense is legit embarrassing. Passing the ball directly to Mexican players, and in dangerous areas to boot, it honest-to-god reminds me of a women's game in that regard. And I've never seen a worse passing game from a goalie at this level than Steffen is putting in tonight. Twice in the first half he gave the ball away to Mexican players directly leading to scoring chances, and several other times he wasnt even close and fired balls out-of-bounds.

And that absolutely horrible giveaway got put right into the net. Team is trash and it's why I refuse to spend money on these friendly games.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm dead serious about Steffen tonight. Perhaps a cartel "got to him" or there's some fix he's in, but if you put together a 90+ "highlight" reel of his crazy passes from goal to bizarrely dangerous areas and/or directly to Mexican players IN or just outside the box you'd find this incredibly suspicious too. I've literally NEVER seen anything like this before.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Wil Trapp is part of the problem, dude absolutely f***ing sucks but shit halter likes him cause he played for him in Columbus

Reactions: sabremike

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Strong result for RBNY last night. Perhaps this team is finding a little bit of a groove with these last two results going into a very big home game against DC on Sunday. Getting a home playoff game will be huge!

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Bump.

Liverpool are the greatest association football team in the world.

The only team that comes close to the Redmen of Merseyside as of this 30th day of December in 2019 is literally f***ing France. Keep your Reals, Barcas, Juves, PSGs, and Bayerns.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad