OT: The Smoked Meat Thread

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I'm glad everyone has their own choices but I went on my yearly Schwartz's run yesterday and...still the most memorable.

went last week. +1 .

I love being treated like a ******* begging for a place to eat. Love how the walls are dirty, with old faded, stinky pictures of celebs we don't give a damn about anymore. Love the ''WADOUYOU want ?'' attitude. they know why you're there, but they pretend they don't. they don't NEED you, THEY have ALL the smocked meat. But for a price they let you get high on it too. the overall ambiance is something to be appreciated, its not literally like traveling through time but if you pay attention... it has a vibe.

I asked for a ''coin'' just on the fat side of medium. spot on. Love to get the piece of meat still intact.

the fun begins when you get the orders of bread , pickle and fries and start attempting perfection by making your own smoked meat sandwich.

help it down with a cherry coke. see you if heaven guys.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Last time I asked for extra lean, the guy shot me a look like I was crazy, told me that won't taste good and gave me a medium. :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Looking at the pics online, it reminds me of Chenoys plastic slimy smoked meat.. it's a knockoff FAKE

le-roi-du-smoked-meat.jpg

Compared to more authentic smoked meat that isn't soft like a baby's but

Schwartzs-Montreal-Smoked-Meat-Sandwich-Side-View.jpg

As per the url content, the first pic is from Le Roi du Smoked Meat and the 2nd is Schwartz.

Who else offers product like the 2nd pic?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Snowdown Deli , Authentic Jewish Deli.

Will give Schwatz a run for it's money.

Agree! We go to Snowdon all the time as it's close to relatives. I'd take Schwartz all things being equal, but Snowdon is great too and we always go home with a care package to last the week. Potato latkes worth getting too.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Just went to Jarry Smoked Meat on Saturday for a big medium-fat sandwich... and to Bar B Barns on Sunday after the F1 Race to enjoy a full hawg of 9 ribs!

Highly orgasmic!

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
As soon as my bowflex shows up in gonna try a few of these places. Excellent thread people I thought I knew the good spots but there's always more

Last couple times I went to NYC I tested schwartzes against Cantors and a couple mid town delis. Montreal smoked meat is wayyy better

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
As soon as my bowflex shows up in gonna try a few of these places. Excellent thread people I thought I knew the good spots but there's always more

Last couple times I went to NYC I tested schwartzes against Cantors and a couple mid town delis. Montreal smoked meat is wayyy better

Ever hear of the Carnegie deli? supposed to be a renowned deli in Manhattan. I can tell you one thing, they sure know who schwartz's is.

As I was walking out the owner asked me how I enjoyed my lunch.; I told him that it was pretty good, almost as good as back home.
He asked where I was from, as soon as I said Montreal; his response was: "that schwartz's crap? our stuff is better than that!"

Sure, then how come you know who they are? LOL

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Ever hear of the Carnegie deli? supposed to be a renowned deli in Manhattan. I can tell you one thing, they sure know who schwartz's is.

As I was walking out the owner asked me how I enjoyed my lunch.; I told him that it was pretty good, almost as good as back home.
He asked where I was from, as soon as I said Montreal; his response was: "that schwartz's crap? our stuff is better than that!"

Sure, then how come you know who they are? LOL

yep Carnegie is one of the ones I tried for sure it's pretty good - thats the red awning place right? kind of small? better than Cantor's. I really dont get why Cantor's has such a huge rep it was so meh the food anyways. It's in such a cool location and it's enormous I think are why it's so popular

but neither are as good as Montreal....hehe im kind of NYC eatery obsessed id even gone to Stage Deli which is also 7th ave i think (Elliott Offen assaulted Joe Corson there - gangster talk right?) Crumbs etcetcetc

on the other hand Montreal pizza will never compare to Manhattan pizza which in turn will never compare to true Italian pizza

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
yep Carnegie is one of the ones I tried for sure it's pretty good - thats the red awning place right? kind of small? better than Cantor's. I really dont get why Cantor's has such a huge rep it was so meh the food anyways. It's in such a cool location and it's enormous I think are why it's so popular

but neither are as good as Montreal....hehe im kind of NYC eatery obsessed id even gone to Stage Deli which is also 7th ave i think (Elliott Offen assaulted Joe Corson there - gangster talk right?) Crumbs etcetcetc

on the other hand Montreal pizza will never compare to Manhattan pizza which in turn will never compare to true Italian pizza

I'm guessing that you never had "true" montreal-style pizza?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I'm guessing that you never had "true" montreal-style pizza?
Take this battle to the pizza thread guys. :)

Also, Montreal pizza is 2nd to nobody.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I don't think there's a good spot in metro Vancouver for an authentic smoked meat sandwich, but there is a Dunn's that opened up a few years ago.

Would that be a good bet?

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
Lister's will courier you Montreal Smoked Meat, rye bread etc outside of Quebec for anyone who has a real craving. (great for big parties).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think there's a good spot in metro Vancouver for an authentic smoked meat sandwich, but there is a Dunn's that opened up a few years ago.

Would that be a good bet?
Dunn's is as good as you're going to get outside Montreal. The one in Toronto was decent (not as good as Montreal's) but it just closed last month - no idea why.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Best I've had, and I've been to most of the known places in Montreal including Schwartz' and Dunn's, was Marché Slovenia on St-Laurent. Even better than the smoked meat, the special mix sandwich with a huge pile of different meats. Outrageously good. But it's just a counter, not a sit-down place. I don't know if it's still open. I've been an expat since 2001 and I don't go back on St-Laurent too often.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Katz's deli in Manhattan is considered schwartz's equal.

It's more famous than schwartz's (Harry met Sally etc) and many times larger (lets be honest schwartz's is a hole in the wall)...

But no way in hell is it better.

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Katz's deli in Manhattan is considered schwartz's equal.

It's more famous than schwartz's (Harry met Sally etc) and many times larger (lets be honest schwartz's is a hole in the wall)...

But no way in hell is it better.

yep totally agree went to Katzs also hehe

Schwartz's isnt a hole in the wall anymore tho i was amazed when i first walked there all like 'pour emporter' at the giant line and they kept pointing past the old resto - I was like wtf are you talking about then saw the new second Schwartzes they have now

honourable mention http://romados.ca/ for no reason at all - it's walking distance from Schwartzes

i used to live about 3 min walk from Ave Des Pin / St Laurent gained so much weight hehe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad